British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   An FYI for anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/fyi-anyone-who-finds-themselves-similar-situation-345041/)

Ash UK/US Dec 29th 2005 6:53 pm

An FYI for anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation.

I just thought I would pass on some information should anyone find themselves in the prediciment we were in... not that I at all hope any of you do.

My mother (in England) died quite suddenly on Thanksgiving day (evening) so obvisouly I had to get back to England... as soon as we got the news we started looking for flights. We found a really good rate through an online travel ageant however we would have to wait for paper tickets to mailed because they do not do E-tickets. The best rate we could find on Orbitz, Expedia etc for last min travel was $1600 each for my husband, daughter and myself. So the next day (Fri) we got a list of airlines that do bereavement fares... on top of the list for the best fares was North West first we did a fare search on their web site, $3000 each YES you did read that correctly $3000 EACH. Then we looked up bereavement fares on their site and saw we have to call them so I had my husband call them, they could fly us out the next day at a bereavement fare of $900 each and even at such short notice they had all 3 of us sat together on all 6 flights (Grand Rapids- Detroit-Amsterdam-Newcastle and return). So we flew back the Sat after Thanksgiving.

ALSO back in Aug we had booked a holiday to Disney World leaving Nov 27th our flights to Orlando were also booked with North West... because of the circumstances they credited us with a full refund (towards our flights to England) without charging us the standard $100 fee.

My hat really goes off to North West they were very nice and very understanding about the whole thing and helped us save a lot of money.

Ash :)

CaliforniaBride Dec 29th 2005 7:10 pm

Re: An FYI for anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Thank you for being so thoughtful of others who may find themselves in the same position. I know I'll take note, but, hopefully I won't need the information.

Partystar Dec 29th 2005 7:11 pm

Wow, I'm impressed. North West sure were nice to do all that for you, they helped make a time which I'm sure was very hard for you & your family a little bit. I'm glad that there still are companies out there that are willing to go that extra mile for people.

I'm very sorry for the loss of you Mother, my thoughts are with you & your family.

Manc Dec 29th 2005 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Partystar
I'm glad that there still are companies out there that are willing to go that extra mile for people.

Well they're in Chapter 11, so keeping customers happy and loyal is probably No.1 priority.

TN-Dave Dec 29th 2005 7:27 pm

Sorry to hear about your loss. The same thing happened to us last year.

A number of the airlines do Berevement fares, although some request to see a copy of the death cert for your family member.

TouristTrap Dec 29th 2005 8:12 pm

Sorry to hear about your loss. :(

frrussre Dec 29th 2005 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I just thought I would pass on some information should anyone find themselves in the prediciment we were in... not that I at all hope any of you do.

My mother (in England) died quite suddenly on Thanksgiving day (evening) so obvisouly I had to get back to England... as soon as we got the news we started looking for flights. We found a really good rate through an online travel ageant however we would have to wait for paper tickets to mailed because they do not do E-tickets. The best rate we could find on Orbitz, Expedia etc for last min travel was $1600 each for my husband, daughter and myself. So the next day (Fri) we got a list of airlines that do bereavement fares... on top of the list for the best fares was North West first we did a fare search on their web site, $3000 each YES you did read that correctly $3000 EACH. Then we looked up bereavement fares on their site and saw we have to call them so I had my husband call them, they could fly us out the next day at a bereavement fare of $900 each and even at such short notice they had all 3 of us sat together on all 6 flights (Grand Rapids- Detroit-Amsterdam-Newcastle and return). So we flew back the Sat after Thanksgiving.

ALSO back in Aug we had booked a holiday to Disney World leaving Nov 27th our flights to Orlando were also booked with North West... because of the circumstances they credited us with a full refund (towards our flights to England) without charging us the standard $100 fee.

My hat really goes off to North West they were very nice and very understanding about the whole thing and helped us save a lot of money.

Sorry to hear of your sad news. You got the call we are all, not looking forward to. My mother will be 90 years young soon. Though as she points out to me "Don't be so smart, you may go before me".
I hate those middle of the nights phone rings.
Reg. Frank R.

snorkmaiden Dec 29th 2005 10:39 pm

I'm really sorry to hear you lost your Mum Ash.

woodsey Dec 30th 2005 5:03 am

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US

sorry to hear your news, its tough being away when these things happen, I lost my Grandfather and Father in Law this year..
when my grandad died we booked with BA, didn't even think about the cost as we just needed to get home, they charged us $10,000 for 4 economy tickets.. :mad: a few weeks later someone on here mentioned bereavement fares so I complained to BA that they'd not taken our circumstances into account and they gave us a $6000 refund. they wanted a copy of the death certificate but at I still can't believe they refunded us.

franc11s Dec 30th 2005 12:17 pm

So sorry to hear about your loss. Some airlines DO NOT ACTUALLY require the situation to actually BE a death. As long as the Doctor is prepared to write that, due to a sudden illness or incident, a death may occur very soon, you may be able to get a "bereavement" rate.

British Airways has always come in for us here.

My wifes Mother had her second stroke, and it was looking real close. My wife flew over on BA at this rate. She survived that one but within a year, it was looking real bad again and BA did it again. She was there a month and her mother passed away the day after she left to come back to the USA. BA came up trumps again for the funeral. They really don't want to profit from your grief. What they actually do, is give you the rate AS IFif you were booking it 14/21 days in advance.

It's times like these and the reason I always travel to the UK via BA. We've had minor issues with them but they have always been great for us 95% of the time.

nethead Dec 30th 2005 1:45 pm

Really sorry to hear about your mum, I'm glad that North Western were able to make the already upsetting and stressful time a little easier.

Annette