British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   The future has arrived. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/future-has-arrived-795954/)

Pulaski May 3rd 2013 7:11 pm

The future has arrived.

I decided this deserves it's own new thread, though the issues have been debated at length on several other threads this year already.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/05/...ted-gun-shown/

It has now been proved possible to print a gun. This raises two issues (i) anyone with the right 3D printer could make one, and (ii) the only metal in the one featured has a block of metal in it, included specifically so it can be detected by an airport style metal detector. Presumably it works equally well without the block of metal? :scaredhair:

Orangepants May 3rd 2013 8:12 pm

Re: The future has arrived.

Scary stuff. I bought 3D Systems stock about a year ago when it was around $20 and the talk was mainly about use in the medical fields. Happy to see stock price trending upwards although but fearful of where this technology may go.

Lion in Winter May 3rd 2013 8:46 pm

"The Liberator"???? What will it liberate, and from whom?

Is this really the best use of human ingenuity?

I despair sometimes.

jeffreyhy May 3rd 2013 9:00 pm

"According to Forbes, the Liberator is capable of connecting to different barrels, allowing for various calibers of ammunition. " I expect that the barrels would be metal? The bullets would pretty pretty quickly tear up a plastic barrel, possibly injuring the user in the process?

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10690862)
... the only metal in the one featured has a block of metal in it, included specifically so it can be detected by an airport style metal detector. Presumably it works equally well without the block of metal? :scaredhair:

I applaud Stratasys.
" Stratasys, a company that makes 3D printers, confiscated their machine from Defense Distributed last year after the company discovered the printer was being used for gun development."

Regards, JEff

Bob May 3rd 2013 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy (Post 10690994)
"According to Forbes, the Liberator is capable of connecting to different barrels, allowing for various calibers of ammunition. " I expect that the barrels would be metal? The bullets would pretty pretty quickly tear up a plastic barrel, possibly injuring the user in the process?

You only need one or two shots though if you're trying to kill someone in an office that's got a metal detector...

Pulaski May 4th 2013 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10690977)
...... I despair sometimes.

Don't despair, the constitution is there to protect your rights! :rofl:

scrubbedexpat099 May 4th 2013 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10690977)
"The Liberator"???? What will it liberate, and from whom?

The original was designed to liberate axis troops from their weapons.

Used .45ACP with a very short range.

The novelty aspect is the issue with 3D printing a gun, certainly now more suitable to print parts, magazines etc.

If you were that keen then a trip to Harbor Freight would get you enough cheap metal working machinery to make your own.

With a pistol firing 22LR then ABS should be good enough for a few rounds, and then you print another.

steveq May 4th 2013 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 10691242)
With a pistol firing 22LR then ABS should be good enough for a few rounds, and then you print another.

My direct experience with 3D printing of ABS leads me to wonder how the **** it can withstand the pressure in the barrel, when I dropped a 3D print and it broke.

Speedwell May 4th 2013 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by steveq (Post 10692087)
My direct experience with 3D printing of ABS leads me to wonder how the **** it can withstand the pressure in the barrel, when I dropped a 3D print and it broke.

They make lots of different thermoplastics with lots of different properties; it's not like ten or even five years ago.

Speedwell May 4th 2013 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy (Post 10690994)
"" Stratasys, a company that makes 3D printers, confiscated their machine from Defense Distributed last year after the company discovered the printer was being used for gun development."

I wonder if this will potentially lead to RepRap machines and other personal 3D printers being regulated. I hope not. I really want a home 3D printer when I get where I can have a workshop.

scrubbedexpat099 May 5th 2013 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Speedwell (Post 10692186)
I wonder if this will potentially lead to RepRap machines and other personal 3D printers being regulated. I hope not. I really want a home 3D printer when I get where I can have a workshop.

Bearing in mind the stupidity of the political elite, it would not surprise me.

Worked for alcohol and drugs.

steveq May 5th 2013 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Speedwell (Post 10692186)

I don't see how they can put the genie back in the bottle - Staples started selling them last week. And I remain HIGHLY sceptical that the barrel can withstand the pressure of multiple firings.

Whatever the strength, the temperature in the barrel gets very high very fast.

That strong 3d metal prints will come though, I do believe. I've got a lot of research papers on the subject, and I've seen what's coming along.

But, in the US context, why bother ? Getting a gun isn't exactly tricky.

Pulaski May 5th 2013 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by steveq (Post 10692741)
..... But, in the US context, why bother ? Getting a gun isn't exactly tricky.

I think the issue is not whether it can fire more than 2-3 bullets, but that it will work without the block of metal, and therefore can likely elude airport security. Which then means the critical question becomes "Can airport security find all bullets?" :unsure:

Ray May 5th 2013 12:42 pm

the original Liberator never won any style awards

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FP-45_Liberator

steveq May 5th 2013 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10692884)
I think the issue is not whether it can fire more than 2-3 bullets, but that it will work without the block of metal, and therefore can likely elude airport security. Which then means the critical question becomes "Can airport security find all bullets?" :unsure:

Plastic bullets ?