Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

further healthcare difficulties

further healthcare difficulties

Old Mar 19th 2015, 5:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: further healthcare difficulties

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not getting paid for treatment provided.
If the person has insurance and the doctor accepts it, how is the patient a credit risk, I don't see the doctor extending credit.

I am still confused.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 6:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Happens in the UK.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

OnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond repute

Surprise Medical Bills: ER Is In Network, But Doctor Isn't : Shots - Health News : NPR

I've been doing a lot of reading about healthcare situations, this article demonstrates just how mixed-up things are.

I'm trying to get something in writing to explain why my particular procedure isn't covered even though the hospitals are supposed to be and the gastro-enterologist is.

Selling these insurance 'products' I would think they need to be fit for the purpose. Apparently there have already been several class action lawsuits against insurance companies for misleading consumers.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Happens in the UK.
Do you mean long waiting lists? It's not that bad really, I was recently put forward for an abdominal ultrasound for suspected gallstones. The GP marked it as non-urgent but it only took a month to get the scan.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

bruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Not likely, those kinds of stories are exaggerated for those in the US against public healthcare.
I have several friends that have to wait months the get an MRI.
In the US, (Florida) I wait a day.
An Orthopedic apointment will take weeks if not months.
I was a Canadian long ago and health care in Canada is the pitts.
Even if i lived in Canada I would maintain coverage elsewhere.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 1:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bruceba
So, a wait is better the going into debt, and the wait in very minimal for urgent cases. The system triage which is how a medical system should work, the most serious are seen first, non-life threatening can wait.

I've used both the US system and Canada's, and its of no use how fast you can get an MRI if you don't have the money to pay for it, and have crummy insurance.

The US system is only good for those with the money to access the services, otherwise your pretty much screwed.

I wait a whole 3 days for my CT Scan, and my wife waited a whole week for her MRI, neither were urgent, but we still got in quickly.

When she had an emergency, she had her CT scan 3 hours after arriving at the ER, only reason it took that long was because we are in a small town so had to go to Vancouver for it, but can't expect big city hospital services in a small town.

I disagree with you that it's the pits in Canada, I can see a doctor anytime I need to without having to open the wallet and I don't have to worry about large medical bills or being denied coverage.

Try using the US system without having the funds to pay for it, and you may see how crappy it really is.

The longest I have ever waited for a procedure was 4 months when I had an endoscopy, but the reason for it was not life threatening and there was 0 chance of death from waiting, so I had no issue waiting and no harm was done waiting.

My GF's mom's partner was diagnosed with Cancer, 1 week from diagnoses to first treatment, still living and fully recovered.

Those who complain generally don't know how triage works, and think they should be able to skip ahead because they lack patience, if it's a true emergency and truly urgent, there will be no wait or a very minimal wait.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 20th 2015 at 1:24 am.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bruceba
Those poor Canucks, I guess they must be dropping like flies with such crap healthcare... oh wait, life expectancy in Canada is 3 years more than the US.

Some have infinite waits in the US, given that the US rations by price.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

OnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond reputeOnwardandUpward has a reputation beyond repute

Probably a lot depends on where you are in a country too- my two friends in Vancouver ( both Americans who have also lived in Houston ) have nothing but praise for Canadian healthcare, whereas another friend in small-town Ontario is very critical.

If I were in the UK or Canada I would pay if I didn't want to wait for non-emergency procedures, since the costs are much more reasonable. But when I tried to pay for my care in US without insurance it quickly became apparent I wouldn't be able to afford it.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 4:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by OnwardandUpward
Probably a lot depends on where you are in a country too- my two friends in Vancouver ( both Americans who have also lived in Houston ) have nothing but praise for Canadian healthcare, whereas another friend in small-town Ontario is very critical.

If I were in the UK or Canada I would pay if I didn't want to wait for non-emergency procedures, since the costs are much more reasonable. But when I tried to pay for my care in US without insurance it quickly became apparent I wouldn't be able to afford it.
You generally cannot pay in Canada for most medical services, if you wan't to pay to skip the line you likely have to leave Canada to do so. There are a few private clinics that offer some things outside the public system, but they are pretty costly.

No private insurance or private pay option in the public system in Canada, so you can't pay the hospital for an MRI to get ahead of those waiting.

Yes small towns in Canada are like small towns in the US, less medical care in town and more going to the big city for it, but small towns can't expect big city healthcare, would be a waste of money and resources.

I choose to live in a small town, so I accept that if I have a major health issue, it will require going to Vancouver for, with 17,000 people we can't expect to have say a ICU or Cardiac unit.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 4:10 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

If the person has insurance and the doctor accepts it, how is the patient a credit risk, I don't see the doctor extending credit.

I am still confused.
Having an insurance policy does not necessarily mean low costs for the patient. Depending upon the policy and services required, the patient share of the bill could potentially be hundreds or thousands of dollars, even with insurance.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 4:22 am
Account Closed

Obamacare has its own additional risks imposed on providers.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 4:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Having an insurance policy does not necessarily mean low costs for the patient. Depending upon the policy and services required, the patient share of the bill could potentially be hundreds or thousands of dollars, even with insurance.
I get that, but I don't see how it would be a credit risk, as wouldn't the doctor ask for payment before rendering the service?

Doctors here require payment upfront for services not covered by the universal plan so I would have thought US doctors would require payment upfront as well.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

Obamacare has its own additional risks imposed on providers.
On everyone it seems- I am still trying to uncover exactly what the hell is going on.

When your government tells you you MUST purchase a health insurance policy or suffer financial taxation penalties- that government has a responsibility to check out just what the hell is being sold and how consumers can know just what the hell is being sold to them and if they are covered for the purpose of healthcare.

At some point someone has to pick this up politically and find out just what it means.

I know the USA is crazy at times, but I think some of these latest issues step over the bounds of greedy-crazy to unfair/illegal-crazy.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 5:08 am
Account Closed

it is a highly regulated product both at Federal and State level.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought US doctors would require payment upfront as well.
Nope. My most incompetent doctor's office sent debt collectors after me for a non-existent $200 debt but immediately rescinded it when challenged. And the $10 I do owe them for not having cash for the co-pay (no credit cards) they have yet to send me a bill for, one month later and counting so far...

And my daughter's eye doctor, charging approximately $1 per second for a check-up, also sent us a bill for the amount not covered by insurance. That was a nice surprise I can tell you - not. Nobody told us the insurance (who authorised us to go to this specific doctor at their choice) wouldn't cover it all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.