Reload this Page >

Further education

Further education

Old Apr 11th 2018, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

JuniorJ194 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Further education

Hello everyone!

I’m moving to Omaha, NE next Saturday and I’ve been looking into going back to college/ school and getting a degree. My fiancée is in college for another 4 years studying pharmaceuticals so I’m going to take that time to get some qualifications too!

I’ve got my GCSE results, which I’d say are just above average. And also I went to college and studied Constuction Managment to a diploma stage, I went to uni after this to further it but because of work and getting a visa, I found no time to study so only managed to complete a year.

I know this won’t be anything in the US. But I just wanted to know where I’d have to start and if I can transfer anything grades or qualifications over? I’ve been looking at metropolitan colleges as I thought I’ll probably have to redo maths, English and science even though I did these at school.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Joshua
Old Apr 11th 2018, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Further education

A lot of people here recommend community college, and then transferring to a college for the final 2 years, but ensure your credits are transferable. This is a cost effective method of getting a degree, especially as I imagine you're looking to be as frugal as possible?

Best bet would be to talk to any local community colleges international student department (if they have one) or even the regular admissions team, as those are the best ones to garner information from as to admissions requirement. They'll be able to tell you what you need (if anything) and how to apply etc.

Good luck and all the best with your impending studies!
Old Apr 11th 2018, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Maste
A lot of people here recommend community college, and then transferring to a college for the final 2 years, but ensure your credits are transferable. This is a cost effective method of getting a degree, especially as I imagine you're looking to be as frugal as possible?

Best bet would be to talk to any local community colleges international student department (if they have one) or even the regular admissions team, as those are the best ones to garner information from as to admissions requirement. They'll be able to tell you what you need (if anything) and how to apply etc.

Good luck and all the best with your impending studies!
Yes! It already costs one of us thousands of dollars a year so I’d like to take the cheaper route if that’s even possible! I’m looking into community colleges at the moment, and just gathering all my qualifications. Thanks for the advice! It’s much appreciated.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 2:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JuniorJ194
Yes! It already costs one of us thousands of dollars a year so I’d like to take the cheaper route if that’s even possible! I’m looking into community colleges at the moment, and just gathering all my qualifications. Thanks for the advice! It’s much appreciated.
Community college will still cost you thousands a year just not tens of thousands a year as she is probably paying.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, it’s oretty extortionate. I was thinking it would be about that. Would there be a chance of getting student loans when I enroll into the community college? Obviously as an immigrant I won’t have any credit history whatsoever. But on the other hand, the US sure does love qualifications, I guess it will pay off in the end (I hope).
Old Apr 11th 2018, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

I second the recommendation for starting in a community college. If you are lucky enough to know what your final objective is you can plan by meshing the four year university with the community college to ensure you take the right courses from the start. The community college will also be a good place to get your previous classes sorted out and the credits transferred.

If your fiancée is in a program leading to a degree in pharmacy (to work as a pharmacist in a retail or hospital setting) I would recommend looking long and hard at future job prospects. I have a degree in Pharmacy and ten years ago would have highly recommended it as a profession, especially for a woman, but no more. I worked part-time in a small hospital for many years when pharmacists were in short supply. Since then the number of schools have more than doubled and the future looks very uncertain or worse. There is much discussion on the internet about this problem.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ddsrph
I second the recommendation for starting in a community college. If you are lucky enough to know what your final objective is you can plan by meshing the four year university with the community college to ensure you take the right courses from the start. The community college will also be a good place to get your previous classes sorted out and the credits transferred.

If your fiancée is in a program leading to a degree in pharmacy (to work as a pharmacist in a retail or hospital setting) I would recommend looking long and hard at future job prospects. I have a degree in Pharmacy and ten years ago would have highly recommended it as a profession, especially for a woman, but no more. I worked part-time in a small hospital for many years when pharmacists were in short supply. Since then the number of schools have more than doubled and the future looks very uncertain or worse. There is much discussion on the internet about this problem.
Thanks for the advice! I’m going to email the local community college and see what my classes transfer into.

My fiancée currently works at Walgreens as a pharmacy technician and will be continuing to work there as she goes through college for the next 4 years, she’s been promoted twice already so hopefully they have a job for her at the end of her education! She has the chance to intern in her last year of her phd so there’s another chance there too I guess.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JuniorJ194
Thanks for the advice! I’m going to email the local community college and see what my classes transfer into.

My fiancée currently works at Walgreens as a pharmacy technician and will be continuing to work there as she goes through college for the next 4 years, she’s been promoted twice already so hopefully they have a job for her at the end of her education! She has the chance to intern in her last year of her phd so there’s another chance there too I guess.
Regarding Pharmacy she is lucky to have connections to a job and to also know what she is getting into. Working in a chain can be a big surprise to recent grads who have zero experience in that environment.