Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Furniture - ship it out or store it here?

Furniture - ship it out or store it here?

Old Apr 26th 2017, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Furniture - ship it out or store it here?

I would appreciate some discussion about moving furniture.

As a family of four (kids 13 & 11), we are planning a relocation to the US for 3 years . The question is do we ship all our furniture over or do we store it here?

Hubby wants to store everything here, only take over a few bits and furnish cheaply once we're there. However I'm inclined, as his company is paying, to ship everything out because I feel "you never what you'll miss until you don't have it" and it might just be one small thing that could add to misery IYSWIM.

How does everyone else feel and why?

Thank you
Old Apr 26th 2017, 9:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Furniture - ship it out or store it here?

If the company is paying, ship it. Most American furniture isn't that cheap, and if you fill your home with stuff from Ikea it will look like a student dorm.

It will likely look twee in most American homes, not at all fit for the purpose, so leave it behind - store it or flog it.

I wish we had got rid of most of the furniture we brought with us and none of it is in the main living areas.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 26th 2017 at 9:54 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RollingStones
I would appreciate some discussion about moving furniture.

As a family of four (kids 13 & 11), we are planning a relocation to the US for 3 years . The question is do we ship all our furniture over or do we store it here?

Hubby wants to store everything here, only take over a few bits and furnish cheaply once we're there. However I'm inclined, as his company is paying, to ship everything out because I feel "you never what you'll miss until you don't have it" and it might just be one small thing that could add to misery IYSWIM.

How does everyone else feel and why?

Thank you
We are in a similar situation to you and intend to take pretty much everything. The cost of storage here would have been very high and l think having our things around us will help us all settle in. Plus even cheaply, furnishing a whole property would be expensive and if the company are willing to pay to transfer it both ways, it would be a no brainer for me. good luck with your move.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute

Oh heck! I'm not sure that helps much.

I appreciate the twee comment, I think much of our furniture is a bit intentionally 'cottagey'.

At the same time, hubby's idea was to buy Ikea stuff. I can appreciate the student dorm comment too.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ecto17
We are in a similar situation to you and intend to take pretty much everything. The cost of storage here would have been very high and l think having our things around us will help us all settle in. Plus even cheaply, furnishing a whole property would be expensive and if the company are willing to pay to transfer it both ways, it would be a no brainer for me. good luck with your move.
I think having our stuff around us would help us settle too. How long are you out for, Ecto?
Old Apr 26th 2017, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

That said I could do without hubby's vast vinyl collection... and extensive book collection for that matter. They weigh a ton.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Both times we have moved to the US we brought almost everything. Which was furniture for 3 bed UK house. For us having all our familiar things really helped to settle in and feel at home. Now been here this time for 9 yrs and still have almost all the furniture we brought over.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 1:45 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

That said I could do without hubby's vast vinyl collection... and extensive book collection for that matter. ....
Of course those must come!

I brought my own collection of 260 albums and at least as many singles, mostly 12" singles, plus somewhere around 700-800 CDs. ..... And a number of boxes of books, which we have added to considerably - we have at least one book case in every room, except of course the kitchen and bathrooms.
They weigh a ton.
Heavy rock?
Old Apr 27th 2017, 3:03 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Bring it all.
You're setting up home here and everyone will want all their stuff around them.
It costs a small fortune anyway for bits and bobs (ie all electrical items) and Ikea isn't that cheap.
Save your money for other nice stuff.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Will the company ship it all back for you at the end of your three year trip if you return home? If so, bring it with you.

Good quality, well designed furniture is not cheap in the US. Ikea is also expensive compared to UK.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

I think having our stuff around us would help us settle too. How long are you out for, Ecto?
We are due to leave in a few weeks (getting nervous and excited now!) and we are going to NJ for about 3 years.
When and where are you due to be going, if you don't mind sharing?
Just a thought on your furniture, take some of the more neutral pieces so you don't have to buy everything new. Also you may want to look into the cost of renting furniture.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Of course those must come!

Heavy rock?
Groooooann.

But thankfully No. Hubby is Mr Jazz
Old Apr 27th 2017, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ecto17
We are due to leave in a few weeks (getting nervous and excited now!) and we are going to NJ for about 3 years.
When and where are you due to be going, if you don't mind sharing?
Just a thought on your furniture, take some of the more neutral pieces so you don't have to buy everything new. Also you may want to look into the cost of renting furniture.
We're aiming for September school admission. Could be end of July or end of August depending on plans in the summer. We're going to Phildelphia, so not too far from you I think.

We expect the company to pay both ways. I think we we should take everything. I think we're not going to know what suits til we get there. I'm just looking for arguments to bring hubby around to my way of thinking
Old Apr 27th 2017, 12:32 pm

..... I'm just looking for arguments to bring hubby around to my way of thinking. ....
Tell him the vinyl ain't coming unless the furniture comes too!

In any case, unless you live in a mansion in the UK, you'll likely have plenty of room in your US home to augment your British furniture with items from Ikea.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

aless02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely bring everything (obviously barring electricals and appliances). If they're paying for it, why on earth not?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.