Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Furniture / Bed shopping

Furniture / Bed shopping

Old Feb 17th 2016, 10:20 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Furniture / Bed shopping

Originally Posted by Sliv
Thanks all.

So in terms of mattress, not pillow top? .....
It depends what you like and expect from a mattress. Personally I wouldn't, but then I don't have, and wouldn't buy, any sort of foam mattress either as I like to sleep on a firm mattress and not sink into it. Aside from the firmness I would consider anything that makes me warmer (pillow-top, or foam layer/construction) in bed to be a definite negative.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 5:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CA-NY
We recently bought a new sofa from Raymour & Flanigan and mattress and boxspring from Macy's Furniture Gallery. Bed (frame / headboard) came from Bob's Furniture. Would recommend all. Also Ashley Furniture is worth a look and for mattresses there are lots of branches of Sleepys all over. Also more design led places like West Elm and Crate & Barrel or if you're feeling really $$$ Restoration Hardware! You'll want somewhere like Macy's or Bed, Bath & Beyond for bedding / sheets etc. Hope that helps.

I would not recommend Bob's furniture as they are noted for the sale of furniture with bed bugs. Bed Bugs are in the headboards, unfortunately. Check out the BBB in your area to confirm this. Bedbugs are an epidemic here in the NY/NJ area, be sure to use full sealed casings for your top and bottom mattresses and your pillows.

Ashley is okay for furniture if you don't want to go the IKEA route. Also good is R&F which was suggested. Also noted for good furniture but can be pricey is Pier One Import. Since you are in New Jersey you have a large choice of furniture stores. I prefer Sleepy's for mattresses and bedsprings. Good quality and far cheaper than Macy's.

Much depends on what you want to spend. I find Bed, Bath and Beyond to be over priced for the merchandise they sell and most items can be purchased for outfitting a kitchen and bath in stores such as Kohl's. Great deals on pots and pans in places like Costco and/or Sam's Club (but you have to be a member). Also try Home Goods which is a great regional store which sells overstock merchandise. Great for bedding, decorative pillows, throw rugs, pictures, cookware, tableware, lamps and occasionally very nice furniture. Got my Queen Anne recliner for $199 and it is perfect.

I'm with Pulaski on pillow top mattresses. I like a firm mattress and if I wanted a more cushioned top on the mattress I would buy an appropriate mattress cover.

Last edited by Rete; Feb 17th 2016 at 5:19 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

FinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I find Bed, Bath and Beyond to be over priced for the merchandise they sell and most items can be purchased for outfitting a kitchen and bath in stores such as Kohl's.
I guess they need to build in the margin for their endless 10-20% off coupons. Which reminds me I haven't seen any in the mail recently... Turns out they take expired ones too - I got finally clued into this!

More usefully the local BBBY has a World Market inside, which means I can get my licorice fix.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

nick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud of

CORT clearance furniture Really good place that sells second hand rental furniture and its good quality... I bought our whole 3 bed apartment for $4500... Including decorative items!

They even set it all up for me, so I literally walked in to a furnished house!
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

jaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond reputejaffy23 has a reputation beyond repute

I like West Elm and Crate & Barrel (though they've become a bit of a "posh" IKEA lately). West Elm you can normally find a 15% coupon by signing up to their mailing list. Costco is good for furniture but its usually just massive sizes.

What we found in NY when moving is that movers really don't want to be responsible for IKEA furniture and will have you sign a waiver.

There's also a Crate & Barrel outlet in Cranbury, NJ which is good if you can transport.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

markcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond repute

Nebraska Furniture Mart. The US version of Ikea without the square edges. You won't have a shop locally but they deliver.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 3:29 am
Just Joined

orchid_in_bloom is an unknown quantity at this point

We got our mattress from Jordans Furniture. We had fun trying on the different mattresses and ended up with a hybrid mattress (spring and memory foam).

Come to think of it, most of our furniture were also from them. Quality wise, they're acceptable and looks durable. What I also liked was their warranty. I accidentally spilled acetone on the dining table and the acid ate through the top lacquer. They sent a guy to respray the entire top layer.

Not sure if they deliver to NJ, though I think they deliver to Rhode Island and New Hampshire.

Crate and Barrel is overpriced, in my opinion.

I don't think IKEA is that bad. We bought two computer tables in IKEA in Australia and they lasted us for years without any problems.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend Ashley Furniture too.

No matter where on the date of delivery make sure you have nothing else planned that day. I've never had an on time furniture delivery.

Microfiber seems to be the thing with cheap comforters right now so if you have pets make sure what you are buying is not microfiber.

Buy rectangular sleeping bags or wool blend army blankets to keep in the trunk as it gets cold in NJ in the winter.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sliv
We move over to Summit, NJ in a few weeks and need to buy quite a bit of furniture - sofa, bedroom furniture, beds etc

Looking for any recommendations for where to shop - middle level pricing but happy to spend more on good quality.

In particular and bed/mattress shop recommendations? And do you need a box spring on all beds?!

Thanks

S
Sam's Club has a good reputation for prices on mattresses too.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 10:35 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tuxedocat
Microfiber seems to be the thing with cheap comforters right now so if you have pets make sure what you are buying is not microfiber. .....
Would you care to explain?
Old Feb 26th 2016, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Would you care to explain?

If your dog or cat comes in contact with it they will be full of hair.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 1:13 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

If your dog or cat comes in contact with it they will be full of hair.
Can I have your pets please? My dog and rabbit leave hairs on everything! Are your kids tidier than everyone else's too?
Old Feb 26th 2016, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Can I have your pets please? My dog and rabbit leave hairs on everything! Are your kids tidier than everyone else's too?
I think Tuxedocat is saying that "they" (the microfiber comforters, aka duvets or quilts), will attract pet hair.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
LOL! Pulaski corrected! I meant the comforter will be! We use the lint roller all the time here for our clothing but I don't want to be lint rolling a comforter every morning! Sorry, I woke up and saw the email notification and started posting.

I found the secret for tidy teens though! I sent my teen to a camp with military style discipline for a week and he came back making his bed, checking his clothing for threads, and putting his shoes in one spot.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 2:49 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

LOL! Pulaski corrected! I meant the comforter will be! We use the lint roller all the time here for our clothing but I don't want to be lint rolling a comforter every morning! Sorry, I woke up and saw the email notification and started posting.

I found the secret for tidy teens though! I sent my teen to a camp with military style discipline for a week and he came back making his bed, checking his clothing for threads, and putting his shoes in one spot.
OMG!! That made me laugh...My lot think they are already at a military camp sometimes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.