Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Furnishing when you arrive....

Furnishing when you arrive....

Old Aug 24th 2009, 11:51 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Furnishing when you arrive....

We rented for the first six months until we built our own home. The company paid for rented accommodation and furniture for the first 3 months. We rented furniture and housewares (right down to a can opener) from a company called Cort.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:33 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

if you are single good to go on the above advice, if a family, hubbys company didn't cover the sort of stuff talked about, actually it did in a cash sum and we wanted costs down, so got a very cheap apartment $750 a month I believe this is expensive in the states?? but expensive state CT.
hubby was dispatched a month before the family, he survived with a blow up bed Walmart, sleeping bag Uk, deck chair and computer US, walmart.
by the time we arrived he had furnished the entire apartment second hand from people at work, some free, some brought $600 max he spent, not including computer, the only thing we lacked was a dinning table and chairs, boys toddler beds had been dismantled and air freighted by his company we only air freighted childrens stuff so they would have their familiar stuff.
he spent 2 days on arriving in a cheap hotel he found, he said it suited him but he wouldn't have liked me and the boys to stay there!
embrace , goodwill, marshalls, home goods, walmart and ocean state job lot.
apart from a computer, we used ours for TV for 8 months, sat nav is a expence that is worth while, I found it empowering, I could explore without points of reference but just press home and get back, I still don't get which way up I 95 is Boston or New York but no matter, I can get home, my husband wet himself when I told him that sat nav was empowering, turned out, why he thought it funny, he said that term is used 100 x a day at work but it was the first time he had heard in its correct context for years!.
I start in Goodwill for everything, can't get it there TJ maxx, next door, then Ocean State, marshalls and home goods, home good if you see something you like hang around takes about 6 weeks for clearance and 8 weeks for bottom price, yes you will see stuff go, you like but once in a while you will get what you want.
I am not a chick from the sticks I live in CT/ Kent previously, 3500 sq foot house, 1 acre, not working 1st income more than covers, if I am frugal, my neighbour loves us, she can't get over the fact we have the biggest house in the neighbourhood are down the goodwill buying our kids birthday and christmas presents.
That said, I due to the poverty here, feel guilty about buying from goodwill, so if in decent shape, when I am done, I freecycle or donate back to goodwill rather than sell, which is what I did in the UK.
OH god! freecycle and Craigslist try them as well! sometimes a ramble, throws up a result!
happy hunting!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by penguinsix
You could buy a futon couch somewhere and crash on it for awhile while you await your gear. Then put the futon in the den or something and keep it around for 'Aunt Alice' when she comes to visit.

Airbeds are an option as well.

Many mattress places will deliver in a few days, though if you talk to them they may also give you the address of the warehouse where you can go and pick it up immediately. I've done that before as I needed a bed immediately and just drove it home directly from their warehouse.

I think Costco and Sams Clubs also sells mattresses 'cash and carry'
Penguin6 has said it all.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

My company put me up in a super swanky place for the first month, fully furnished, pool, hottub. Just the thing to get you started. Hopefully you get a similar break!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by made of kent
if you are single good to go on the above advice, if a family, hubbys company didn't cover the sort of stuff talked about, actually it did in a cash sum and we wanted costs down, so got a very cheap apartment $750 a month I believe this is expensive in the states?? but expensive state CT.
$750 is dirt cheap...that's pricey up in Maine, but generally, that's dirt cheap.

Saying that, a mate can't afford his first/last/deposit on a place in Allston so he's thinking of slumming it in Hartford CT as the commute would be doable for him and the rent is only $400...but then he's single, young and willing to live in a flea pit
Old Aug 26th 2009, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
We rented for the first six months until we built our own home. The company paid for rented accommodation and furniture for the first 3 months. We rented furniture and housewares (right down to a can opener) from a company called Cort.
I'd recommend Cort's as well.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 1:45 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

We rented furniture and a complete package including everything from bath towels to cutlery for the first few months, paid for out of the relocation money. Not the cheapest way to do things, but very straightforward and made settling in pretty painless.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 1:48 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
My company put me up in a super swanky place for the first month, fully furnished, pool, hottub. Just the thing to get you started. Hopefully you get a similar break!
One day you'll tire of telling everyone what an incredible deal your company gave you, and by extension what an incredible person you must be.

I know I did...
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000

I know I did...
really?
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:38 am
Arrogant ****

Originally Posted by Bob
really?
Well, not entirely... but I'm working on it!
Old Aug 26th 2009, 6:17 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
$750 is dirt cheap...that's pricey up in Maine, but generally, that's dirt cheap.

Saying that, a mate can't afford his first/last/deposit on a place in Allston so he's thinking of slumming it in Hartford CT as the commute would be doable for him and the rent is only $400...but then he's single, young and willing to live in a flea pit
so that was cheap $750? I worked on the fact there was a communal swimming pool, but we got a 2 bed apartment, for 4 of us, boys young, hartford from my cruising not good!
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by made of kent
so that was cheap $750? I worked on the fact there was a communal swimming pool, but we got a 2 bed apartment, for 4 of us, boys young, hartford from my cruising not good!
That's really cheap, you found a bargain or CT is just a lot cheaper than MA

And yeah, Hartford, for a capital, it's a dump, but then again, on the motorway, not far from Boston and dirt cheap rent...just a place to sleep the night really.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 5:56 am
member of little note

Originally Posted by Bob
That's really cheap, you found a bargain or CT is just a lot cheaper than MA

And yeah, Hartford, for a capital, it's a dump, but then again, on the motorway, not far from Boston and dirt cheap rent...just a place to sleep the night really.
did some digging, turned out hubbies company use the appartment complex for all their sponsered people, so hense our good deal,! they pay for people! on secondment! it keeps the prices low, cos even when an appartment is empty the company pays.
we wheren't on secondment, but maybe this saved us a heap+
Old Aug 29th 2009, 6:05 am
member of little note

PS I am in East Lyme if it commutable! which I don't think it is from what you say. I have room for rent
Old Aug 29th 2009, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Just don't ever buy a secondhand mattress. Buy an airbed or go to BJs for a mattress.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.