Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Furnished Accommodation in Houston

Furnished Accommodation in Houston

Old Jul 7th 2007, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

GetYourBritsOut will become famous soon enoughGetYourBritsOut will become famous soon enough
Default Furnished Accommodation in Houston

Hi there. I am moving to The Woodlands, Houston, in August with my husband and 7yr old son. We will need temporary furnished accommodation for about 6 weeks while we wait for our furniture to arrive from the UK, then we will move into rented housing.

We have found one company (Woodlands Interim Housing) who provide corporate housing but they are quite expensive (about $3000/month).

Does anyone know where else we can try?

Many thanks.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 6:09 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Furnished Accommodation in Houston

Don't live in corporate-targeted accommodation in The Woodlands?

How long will you need temporary space and how much do you need?

People who live in that area usually don't even bat an eyelash at $3000 per month for temporary accommodation. That said, if you're willing to have a temporary commute to The Woodlands (assuming that's where work is) then you have many other options.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

GetYourBritsOut will become famous soon enoughGetYourBritsOut will become famous soon enough

Hi Snowbunny

We will need furnished accommodation for about 6 weeks until our furniture arrives. (We need to come before the furniture because we want our son to start school when the new year starts, and the school is the reason we need to be in the Woodlands).

We only need 2 beds for now, not really bothered about number of baths, etc.

Do you know of anywhere else we can look?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 6:53 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Check out:

http://www.oakwood.com/furnished-apa...wPictures.html

If you will already know the address that you'll be renting at and have a contract signed then you ought to be able to register your son at school before you move in. I'm sure the school district has dealt with many corporate relocation parents before; contact them, explain the situation and see what they say.

Last edited by snowbunny; Jul 7th 2007 at 6:56 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 9:42 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello and welcome to BE.

You might consider the Extended Stay America chain. For a family of 3 it may be just what your looking for. It is not luxury, but the suites are clean and very affordable. I moved from Texas to California a couple of months ago, I moved ahead of my wife to start a job whilst she finished of at Uni. I stayed in an one of their suites for 12 days whilst I awaited my new home coming available. It suited my needs just fine.

http://www.extendedstayhotels.com/

Originally Posted by GetYourBritsOut
Hi there. I am moving to The Woodlands, Houston, in August with my husband and 7yr old son. We will need temporary furnished accommodation for about 6 weeks while we wait for our furniture to arrive from the UK, then we will move into rented housing.

We have found one company (Woodlands Interim Housing) who provide corporate housing but they are quite expensive (about $3000/month).

Many thanks.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 12:16 am
Critical Circuits

Terminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pony
Hello and welcome to BE.

You might consider the Extended Stay America chain. For a family of 3 it may be just what your looking for. It is not luxury, but the suites are clean and very affordable. I moved from Texas to California a couple of months ago, I moved ahead of my wife to start a job whilst she finished of at Uni. I stayed in an one of their suites for 12 days whilst I awaited my new home coming available. It suited my needs just fine.

http://www.extendedstayhotels.com/
That's an excellent link and definitely an option for us rather than renting until we find a property!
Old Jul 9th 2007, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

saucyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

try this site http://www.rent.com/ , shows you accommodation available all over the USA...

good luck

Sb
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the links - it will keep me quiet for a while.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

wokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nice

I know this is probably a daft question, but on the rental websites are the prices quoted usually weekly or monthly?

I have tried looking on the websies FAQ, but it doesn't say
Old Aug 11th 2007, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wokster
I know this is probably a daft question, but on the rental websites are the prices quoted usually weekly or monthly?

I have tried looking on the websies FAQ, but it doesn't say
monthly.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

Many thanks.
just to say hi and welcome to Houston
Old Aug 11th 2007, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

wokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nicewokster is just really nice

http://www.rent.com/search/results/

Thanks for the prompt response TruBrit.

I have included a link above, and if it is as you say monthly, it seems incredibly cheap

Last edited by wokster; Aug 11th 2007 at 2:05 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TruBrit
just to say hi and welcome to Houston
Thanks. We have just got our visa's approved and are hoping to arrive on 21st August.

Seems to have come around really quickly now and it's starting to sink in that we're leaving everyone behind.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 3:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by wokster
http://www.rent.com/search/results/

Thanks for the prompt response TruBrit.

I have included a link above, and if it is as you say monthly, it seems incredibly cheap
hiya, sorry i've not had the time to check out the apartments. maybe they are weekly, dunno, i've never rented here but thought they were usually quoted as in mthly figures. maybe someone else can tell you or else click on the 'contact' at the bottom of the rent.com webpage and ask them.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 3:33 pm
Account Closed

Thanks. We have just got our visa's approved and are hoping to arrive on 21st August.

Seems to have come around really quickly now and it's starting to sink in that we're leaving everyone behind.
that's tough i know however thankfully houston is on the right side of the usa, just about 9 hrs to the UK. now if it was on the east coast that would be much longer, so look on the bright side