Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A funny thing happened on the way to the entree!

A funny thing happened on the way to the entree!

Old Jun 20th 2003, 3:21 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default A funny thing happened on the way to the entree!

OK, this is slightly embarrasing but we are all freinds here so I know you will treat me with respect and dignity like you always do.

We went out to O'Charleys last night for supper (tea) and the server (God forbid you call someone who waits on you a waitress!) went through the types of sides we could have with the entree (main course to us brits). So she says "Baked potato, smashed potato, veggies......"

So I say back "Smashed potatoes, you really shouldn't give alcohol to potatoes you know!".

Anyroadup, 2 minutes later the manager comes over wanting to know what I had said as the waitress (I have demoted her) made a complaint. So my wife explains it was a joke and what I had said and he went away happy(?). Needless to say we got another server for the rest of meal.

I understand how on this forum (black and white) someone can take something the wrong way but when I sat there with my best village idiot smile it should come over more as a joke surely! Does this happen to anyone else, is it the english humour, I know americans take everything literally but is she that dumb?

This came about 3 hours after I tried to order a regular coffee and french cruller at Dunkin Donuts and got a regular coffee and French Vanilla coffee and it took 5 minutes to sort it out - the girl at the end of it said "I like the way you talk" pity she couldn't understand it!

Patrick
Old Jun 20th 2003, 3:31 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough
Default Re: A funny thing happened on the way to the entree!

Originally posted by Patrick

So I say back "Smashed potatoes, you really shouldn't give alcohol to potatoes you know!".
ROFLMAO. I got my morning's laugh off of this forum. Thanks to Patrick. Pity the poor little thing who served you took it amiss
Old Jun 20th 2003, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

lasmus31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Too funny!! And embarrassing I bet!

I have lost count of the amount of times i have been misunderstood! I now refuse to order pizza over the phone! At least in person you can repeat yourself 50 times, then check your order before you leave the restaurant!

The funniest misunderstanding i have had so far was with my boss. I had received a call from a home owner, who's heating had broken down. I called my boss to explain the situation and mentioned that the resident had plenty of 'blankets' to keep him warm over night. She went dead silent and then asked where all the 'black kids' had come from and why were they at his house!!!

I have discovered that my sense of humour (plenty of sarcasm) is received pretty well. I can get away with so many sarcastic comments because it sounds so 'cute' in my accent. As you can imagine I take full advantage!

Lisa
Old Jun 20th 2003, 4:01 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

<<snip>>
We went out to O'Charleys last night for supper (tea) and the server (God forbid you call someone who waits on you a waitress!) went through the types of sides we could have with the entree (main course to us brits). So she says "Baked potato, smashed potato, veggies......"

Anyroadup, 2 minutes later the manager comes over wanting to know what I had said as the waitress (I have demoted her) made a complaint. So my wife explains it was a joke and what I had said and he went away happy(?). Needless to say we got another server for the rest of meal.

<<snip>>

Patrick
These are my thoughts about why the waitress made the complaint about your joke.

One: perhaps she didn't understand your accent (it's regional) and thought you were making a rude joke.

Two: she failed to understand the nuance of the joke and didn't get it.

Three: she took the words you said literally and thought you were accusing her of putting alcohol in the potatoes!

I think Patrick's experience highlights the difference in humour between Brits and Americans. I don't tend to make jokes with Americans I don't know well or have just met because they may fail to see the humour or worse still, take it the "wrong way".

On the other hand, there's been occasions in restaurants and shops when the staff crack a joke and I don't understand, usually because of their Southern accent.

NC Penguin
Old Jun 20th 2003, 5:00 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I can't answer that! The manager came over and said "I have been told you have a problem with the potatoes". The starter was already on the table (we ordered it with our drinks) so we where in no mood to have a discussion with him (fat people must eat!)

Patrick

Originally posted by NC Penguin
These are my thoughts about why the waitress made the complaint about your joke.

One: perhaps she didn't understand your accent (it's regional) and thought you were making a rude joke.

Two: she failed to understand the nuance of the joke and didn't get it.

Three: she took the words you said literally and thought you were accusing her of putting alcohol in the potatoes!

I think Patrick's experience highlights the difference in humour between Brits and Americans. I don't tend to make jokes with Americans I don't know well or have just met because they may fail to see the humour or worse still, take it the "wrong way".

On the other hand, there's been occasions in restaurants and shops when the staff crack a joke and I don't understand, usually because of their Southern accent.

NC Penguin
Old Jun 20th 2003, 5:05 pm
Maltesers, Flake, Mars

kazzuk is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband and I were staying at The Poconos Resort and he did not have any cutlery. He asked the waitress (server) for some and she did not understand. He tried several times and then said "some tools to eat with" two minutes later she returned with a huge set of tongs and placed them next to his plate!!! We nearly fell off our chairs laughing. She on the other hand did not know what we were laughing at.
Old Jun 20th 2003, 7:13 pm
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

I'm lost for words why she'd be so offended by that to make a complaint.

You're losing your touch Patrick, that was too mild. You can be more acerbic than that, we know.
Old Jun 21st 2003, 2:23 am
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

I can't answer that! The manager came over and said "I have been told you have a problem with the potatoes". The starter was already on the table (we ordered it with our drinks) so we where in no mood to have a discussion with him (fat people must eat!)
Patrick
Yep, you're losing your touch, Patrick...
Old Jun 21st 2003, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nathan barley

You can be more acerbic than that, we know.
I think the word you were looking for in Patricks case was 'Acidic'

Rob
Old Jun 21st 2003, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

simon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the rough

Just thank god that Macdonalds, etc. now have a screen at the drive through, so you can check the accuracy of the order, when ordering, my wife, from manchester, ordered a large coke, at a Burger King drive thru, when she got to the pick up window,she was given 2 burgers and 3 fries, how do you get that out of a large coke, Dominos and Papa Johns, now have online ordering, so at least the pizza is delivered, somewhat close to what we ordered.
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Lololol @ Patrick but then again Arrrrrrrghhh this whole accent thing makes me soooo mad !!! After a brief stint at Wal-Mart ( i couldnt be brainwashed saw thru the whole charade so left) and having dealt with mcdonalds/wendies/arbies drivethru halfwits, I have now come to an opinion that the only people that dont understand me are the folks that arent really listening in the first place. The rather nice 'happy' chappy at burger king undestood me, the lady at AT&T understood me ($300 phone bill - end of international calls), the ? spaniard at our local pizza delivery understands me, everyone at my new workplace understands me.
I dont have a very strong regional accent, I lived 10 years in Scotland and 10 years in Cumbria so have a slight northern lilt but nothing soo bad.
So i've come to conclusion, if they dont understand me it probably means they arent listening properly and dont want my custom !! so i go elsewhere ... or hubby goes in and complains :\

Jan

oh ... the nice server at the brewpub we visited last night started talking with a kind of English accent after talking to me for a few minutes, very funny it was too.
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 12:23 pm
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, this is slightly embarrasing but we are all freinds here so I know you will treat me with respect and dignity like you always do.

I understand how on this forum (black and white) someone can take something the wrong way but when I sat there with my best village idiot smile it should come over more as a joke surely! Does this happen to anyone else, is it the english humour, I know americans take everything literally but is she that dumb?

This came about 3 hours after I tried to order a regular coffee and french cruller at Dunkin Donuts and got a regular coffee and French Vanilla coffee and it took 5 minutes to sort it out - the girl at the end of it said "I like the way you talk" pity she couldn't understand it!

Patrick
You're gonna think I'm really thick, but what is a French cruller??
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 12:59 pm
Pagan Sex God

Originally posted by MrsLondon
You're gonna think I'm really thick, but what is a French cruller??
Its a type of doughnut but it has ridges rather than a smooth round shape. They are nice, try one next time you are over here!

Patrick
Old Jun 24th 2003, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jan_michigan
Lololol @ Patrick but then again Arrrrrrrghhh this whole accent thing makes me soooo mad !!! After a brief stint at Wal-Mart ( i couldnt be brainwashed saw thru the whole charade so left) and having dealt with mcdonalds/wendies/arbies drivethru halfwits, I have now come to an opinion that the only people that dont understand me are the folks that arent really listening in the first place. The rather nice 'happy' chappy at burger king undestood me, the lady at AT&T understood me ($300 phone bill - end of international calls), the ? spaniard at our local pizza delivery understands me, everyone at my new workplace understands me.
I dont have a very strong regional accent, I lived 10 years in Scotland and 10 years in Cumbria so have a slight northern lilt but nothing soo bad.
So i've come to conclusion, if they dont understand me it probably means they arent listening properly and dont want my custom !! so i go elsewhere ... or hubby goes in and complains :\

Jan

oh ... the nice server at the brewpub we visited last night started talking with a kind of English accent after talking to me for a few minutes, very funny it was too.
LOL The people who deliberately misunderstand and make you repeat things just to listen to your accent are the ones that get me. After standing in line in the P.O. for 30 mins one Christmas, and in a tearing hurry to get back to work, the guy behind the counter asked me to repeat my request 4 times...then said "oh I understood you the first time, I just love hearing you talk".......grrrrrrrrr.
Old Jun 25th 2003, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

bizzie@herdesk is an unknown quantity at this point

my fiance who is a "relocated redneck" (his words not mine) is from Florida living in Oregon..

apparently to him and his family i sound like Mary Poppins.. which in some ways is very sweet and flattering...

what scares me is that he assures me when we finally all get together one drunken night in the future i will have to put up with all of his friends imploring him.

"Make her say it agin"

Bee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.