British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Funny shop names (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/funny-shop-names-338878/)

franc11s Nov 22nd 2005 12:17 pm

Funny shop names

My wife just came home from dropping the kids off and she couldn't speak for laughing.. She had been listening to Radio 1 on Sirius and they were talking about funny names for Hair Dressers... Only in the UK do we have such a weird sense of humor... Hope these 4 names for hair dressers brighten up your day as they did mine and the missus ;)

* Brighton Bleach

* Hairy Popp-ins

* Alas Quif and Combs

* and....... Curl up and Dye :beer:

elfman Nov 22nd 2005 12:24 pm

Re: Funny shop names

Originally Posted by franc11s
My wife just came home from dropping the kids off and she couldn't speak for laughing.. She had been listening to Radio 1 on Sirius and they were talking about funny names for Hair Dressers... Only in the UK do we have such a weird sense of humor... Hope these 4 names for hair dressers brighten up your day as they did mine and the missus ;)

* Brighton Bleach

* Hairy Popp-ins

* Alas Quif and Combs

* and....... Curl up and Dye :beer:

Just down the road from us is a Japanese restaurant called the "Banzai Steakhouse". Given that "Banzai" was the war cry of WW2 kamikaze pilots I've often thought this was a bit odd. Kind of like opening a German restaurant and calling it the "Sieg Heil Bar & Grill".

anotherlimey Nov 22nd 2005 12:38 pm

I used to live near hairdresser's in Chicago called "Best Head"

Thydney Nov 22nd 2005 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by elfman
Just down the road from us is a Japanese restaurant called the "Banzai Steakhouse". Given that "Banzai" was the war cry of WW2 kamikaze pilots I've often thought this was a bit odd. Kind of like opening a German restaurant and calling it the "Sieg Heil Bar & Grill".

"Banzai" literally means ten thousand years (of life). It is written with the combination of the kanji characters for "ten thousand" and "age."

"Banzai" is a Japanese cheer that can be translates as "Long life!" or "Hurrah!" It is usually repeated three times to express enthusiasm, celebrate a victory, applause and favor on happy occasion while raising both arms. It is commonly done together with the large group of people.

Foreign people seem to confuse "Banzai" with a war cry. It is probably because the Japanese soldiers shouted "Tennouheika Banzai!" when they were dying during World War II. In this context what they meant was "Long live the Emperor" or "Salute the Emperor".

franc11s Nov 22nd 2005 1:14 pm

How did we go from a cheery note to a gloomy one so quickly :beer:

Chinese whispers or as the chinese would say :

A と B といった要となる選手をフリー・エ� �ジェントで失ったにもかかわらず、� ��ルペンはより良いものになってきて いる

doctor scrumpy Nov 22nd 2005 1:42 pm

There was the superbly named Box Brothers in Blackpool England. They of course had to be funeral directors.

Jan Alaska Nov 22nd 2005 1:50 pm

We have an ATV / snowmobiling store near us called Spankys .... they advertise on a huge bill board nearby we cant help but giggle when we see it.

Jan :)

BigDavyG Nov 22nd 2005 2:14 pm

There's a printers/stationers in Belfast called Reid & Wright.

Also there's a chinesse restaurant near me in chicago called Jockey, Wok & Roll. Not sure what they mean by this, but it makes me laugh.

Thydney Nov 22nd 2005 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by franc11s
How did we go from a cheery note to a gloomy one so quickly :beer:

Chinese whispers or as the chinese would say :

A と B といった要となる選手をフリー・エ� �ジェントで失ったにもかかわらず、� ��ルペンはより良いものになってきて いる

they also say this
唯一聰明的臀部寫在漢語給展示多麼� �明他是

Bob Nov 22nd 2005 4:38 pm

There's a "Hair Force One" up over in the next town somewhere...

Local dentists office is called Dr Slaughter, and I ain't making this up, but one of the nurses is called Ms Blood....

nethead Nov 22nd 2005 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
We have an ATV / snowmobiling store near us called Spankys .... they advertise on a huge bill board nearby we cant help but giggle when we see it.

Jan :)

We have a used car place here called Spankys, always makes me giggle too. I wonder if the PA Spankys are related to the MI Spankys :D

Annette

gruffbrown Nov 22nd 2005 4:46 pm

When we lived the the Chicago burbs, we had the 'Toon Funeral Home' always wondered where Willie Coyote ended up.....:)

ironporer Nov 22nd 2005 4:54 pm

Cahokia IL... I don't know why I thought it was so funny, but I used to drive by "Tatoo and Tan" each day.

ladylisa Nov 22nd 2005 6:01 pm

We have a store that sells doggy treats and biscuits and its called Petlicious. I think thats such a great name.

Thydney Nov 22nd 2005 6:12 pm

We have a funeral directors near us the sign is written with the 'E' like an 'and sign so it reads Chas & Daves can you imagine the classics such a 'Gertcha' playing in the chapel of rest.