Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Funeral Protesters

Funeral Protesters

Old Mar 24th 2006, 4:41 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Funeral Protesters

I see on the news last night they are trying to pass a law in Colorado to stop these religious nuts from protesting at soldiers funerals, with the "god killed your son because of the gays" thing, however they are saying it is going against the freedom of speech from the USA constitution so who knows whats going to happen. If the law doesn't do something about it soon I sure there's plenty of people willing to take away there speech permanently.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 4:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Funeral Protesters

They were going to protest a maine soldiers funeral, but a couple days before hand the local sheriff bloke said that because it would be a military funeral, there will be military personal there, and armed and that he couldn't be held responsible for any "civil" actions these soldiers might get up to....the protectors suddenly weren't very vocal with the prospect of getting there arses kicked
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:03 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

I would imagine that anyone attacking a funeral here in FLA would get shot under our self defence laws
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:10 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britontour
I see on the news last night they are trying to pass a law in Colorado to stop these religious nuts from protesting at soldiers funerals, with the "god killed your son because of the gays" thing, however they are saying it is going against the freedom of speech from the USA constitution so who knows whats going to happen. If the law doesn't do something about it soon I sure there's plenty of people willing to take away there speech permanently.
I can think of a number of fun and effective ways to deal with these people..
Old Mar 24th 2006, 5:26 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarlM
I can think of a number of fun and effective ways to deal with these people..
Involving wire/testicles/national grid? Or is that just me?
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:34 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britontour
after these wankers showed up at a GI's funeral killed in Iraq in MI, a law was proposed here stating in order to protest a funeral you must be over 500 foot away from the cemetary / crematorium

I detest the war, but these wankers are just scum
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:40 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
after these wankers showed up at a GI's funeral killed in Iraq in MI, a law was proposed here stating in order to protest a funeral you must be over 500 foot away from the cemetary / crematorium
I agree with their right to protest but I also agree with the family's right to privacy, whether the people demonstrating are the homophobic group or the anti-war group. They certainly cannot come onto private property and I agree that they should be at a good distance from the church and the cemetery.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:43 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I agree with their right to protest but I also agree with the family's right to privacy, whether the people demonstrating are the homophobic group or the anti-war group. They certainly cannot come onto private property and I agree that they should be at a good distance from the church and the cemetery.
Whilst they have a right to protest don't they also have a responsibility to do the decent thing and chose the correct time and place at which to hold their protest.
A serviceman/woman's funeral is neither of these things.

I for one would happily kick one of these gobsh*tes up and down Madison Avenue all day long.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:47 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Whilst they have a right to protest don't they also have a responsibility to do the decent thing and chose the correct time and place at which to hold their protest.
Wouldn't it be considerate of them? I agree. But as to the government banning them altogether I'd hate to see yet another fundamental right watered down. Maybe that's what the religious nutjobs really want: less rights for the unhappy masses to express their discontent. More police state complete with the President listening in on any call he likes.

I don't know why there isn't more outrage at the latter.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:48 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

A serviceman/woman's funeral is neither of these things.

I for one would happily kick one of these gobsh*tes up and down Madison Avenue all day long.
If you're protesting the deaths of servicemen and women as a protest about the USA being a queer country then you have neither decency nor morals.

they're just scumbags pure and simple.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:51 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Wouldn't it be considerate of them? I agree. But as to the government banning them altogether I'd hate to see yet another fundamental right watered down. Maybe that's what the religious nutjobs really want: less rights for the unhappy masses to express their discontent. More police state complete with the President listening in on any call he likes.

I don't know why there isn't more outrage at the latter.
Rights go hand in hand with responsibilities though.
In my world if you don't step up to the plate and accept your responsibilities you forfeit your rights.

As with a lot of other discussions on BE you can't base an argument round extremists.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 6:55 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Rights go hand in hand with responsibilities though.
In my world if you don't step up to the plate and accept your responsibilities you forfeit your rights.
Rights are inalienable, I'm afraid. Try thinking about it first!
Old Mar 24th 2006, 7:01 pm
Lapine Member

Did the religious wacks run out of gay deaths to protest?

Would those of you who want to ban them protesting military funerals also be willing to ban them protesting at the funeral of a little haemophiliac boy who died due to AIDS-tainted blood transfusion? How about at a gay's funeral where the gay was beaten to death?
Old Mar 24th 2006, 7:24 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I actually wonder if the Supremes would define it as a freedom of speech issue. We all have freedom of speech, but of course we can not yell "FIRE" in a crowded movie theatre. I and most would have to think that protesting at a dead boy's funeral might be akin to the yelling of fire- perhaps not an issue of public saftey as jeopardizing the speakers saftey.

What I do not understand... I mean, I saw the 1st report of a protest in Indiana or Kansas or somewhere- but are there that many (known) gay soldiers in the Army? What happened to 'don't ask-don't tell"? And how in the ***** can any human being call themselves Christian, and participate in such actions?????
Old Mar 24th 2006, 7:29 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Inalienable right: Right of BE posters to type first, think.....never

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.