Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Full... English... Breakfast

Full... English... Breakfast

Old Jul 2nd 2011, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute
Default Full... English... Breakfast

OK - I have done much searching, both on these forums and on the wider internet - can't see to find the answer to two questions:

a) Where can we find a butcher than knows how to cut British Bacon (my wife is getting really homesick, she wants a Sainsburys All Day Breakfast - and she can't do one at home coz the sausages, bacon, hash browns etc are not the same.

b) Failing a butcher who has a clue on what "British" Bacon is, and finding one that will NOT smoke the stuff, where is a decent restaurant/diner/dive or whatever that knows to do one in the Raleigh area? I've heard of some place in Charlotte called the Big Ben but thats like 3 hours away - hardly justification to get a fix on a staple of British diet
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 8:22 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Full... English... Breakfast

Originally Posted by Hawkini
OK - I have done much searching, both on these forums and on the wider internet - can't see to find the answer to two questions:

a) Where can we find a butcher than knows how to cut British Bacon (my wife is getting really homesick, she wants a Sainsburys All Day Breakfast - and she can't do one at home coz the sausages, bacon, hash browns etc are not the same.

b) Failing a butcher who has a clue on what "British" Bacon is, and finding one that will NOT smoke the stuff, where is a decent restaurant/diner/dive or whatever that knows to do one in the Raleigh area? I've heard of some place in Charlotte called the Big Ben but thats like 3 hours away - hardly justification to get a fix on a staple of British diet
You're in North Carolina, you'll want to be going here
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
I've had bacon and sausages from there, I'd give them a 5/10 and that's being generous.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 10:20 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmmm..... get some of this gorgeousness down ya!

Nice with a bit of sprout hash...
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 11:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Probably be online....quite a few places...

And it's basically slice of loin ain't it...and...don't you have loads of farmers markets out your way? Could ask them if they'll do some for you...
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 1:26 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
I've had bacon and sausages from there, I'd give them a 5/10 and that's being generous.
But being in North Carolina its possibly their only option for british bacon. Maybe its better when you don't get it through the mail idk.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

Hawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond reputeHawkini has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the suggestions - my wife (and OK me a little bit too) has been really put off by all the smoked fatty bacon since we arrived in March, and is literally crying over the lack of a decent breakfast - we're thinking about ditching our current Visa, getting an "opening a business visa" and opening up a proper Brit place. But then it's what you know and what you grew up with - would Americans eat it? If we opened it up near Cary we'd probably have enough takers

Originally Posted by tonrob
Mmmmm..... get some of this gorgeousness down ya!

http://www.altmeat.com/pics/misc/lig..._bacon_box.jpg

Nice with a bit of sprout hash...
Seriously - it looks horrid - but next time we're out we'll keep a lookout - and I'm with ya on the sprout hash - MMmmmm!

Last edited by Hawkini; Jul 3rd 2011 at 2:03 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

fashionista will become famous soon enoughfashionista will become famous soon enough

You could try this: http://www.britishbacon.com/comersus...sp?idProduct=1

I've been trying to go without bacon since we got here, but I bought English muffins this morning at the supermarket, and now I have a serious bacon and egg muffin craving! I think I'll be placing an order tomorrow....

If you don't want to go that far - you could try the 'Canadian style' bacon which you can get in supermarkets - it's not the same, but at least it's not fatty.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 1:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to order from here.

http://www.butchersfancy.com/

Their homepage does not say that they ship but I know that the sign in the store does say they will ship. Our neighborhood is primarily Irish so there is a large variety of British/Irish items to be had. They even sell Oxo, Cadbury Roses, Pot Noodles and the like.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 3:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawkini

Seriously - it looks horrid - but next time we're out we'll keep a lookout - and I'm with ya on the sprout hash - MMmmmm!
The Morning Star, fake bacon is actually pretty good for fake stuff...also some of the turkey bacon isn't to bad.

There's got to be some farmers stand near where you are that you can get decent bacon. Probably won't be all that cheap though.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sarah
OMG! They have Lincolnshire sausages! I have to give them a try. Even if they are mediocre they have to be better than nowt.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1chumly
...Even if they are mediocre they have to be better than nowt.
Are you sure? Are you ABSOLUTELY positive?
Old Jul 5th 2011, 3:45 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

I love the American bacon... Took a bit of getting used to but now I can't get enough of it!
Old Jul 5th 2011, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clarissageo
I love the American bacon... Took a bit of getting used to but now I can't get enough of it!
Microwave between paper towels to a crisp, it's not bad at all!

But the best stuff on earth is Pancetta - Italian rolled bacon. Get a few thick slices of that, microwave it until the fat is crisp, and it's heavenly! !! Have to get it from a proper 'deli' though, where they have the 'whole' product and will slice to order ... even Whole Foods are a bit dicey on the product.

I found Canadian bacon to be a sufficient 'substitute' when I used to crave British bacon back in the 'early days'.

Consider this your opportunity to eat more healthily ... a full English breakfast, like its US counterpart, is a heart-attack on a plate so consider moving onto better things
Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Steerpike

But the best stuff on earth is Pancetta - Italian rolled bacon. Get a few thick slices of that, microwave it until the fat is crisp, and it's heavenly! !! Have to get it from a proper 'deli' though, where they have the 'whole' product and will slice to order ... even Whole Foods are a bit dicey on the product.
Now for anyone in MA...Olivia's, it's the best deli around, it's a little dive in Milford, but they have the best pancetta, they smoke/cure their own meats and make fantastic sausages every morning.

As for the full English breakfast...yum...and a once in a while treat, who cares

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.