Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

FULL Clean UK Driving Licence

FULL Clean UK Driving Licence

Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

[UK]SteveO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default FULL Clean UK Driving Licence

As the title suggests I have a FULL Clean UK Driving Licence and I'm wondering if I can drive in the US when I come over for some recce trips or do I have to take another test weather practical or theory.

thanks
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FULL Clean UK Driving Licence

You can drive on your UK licence for a period of 90 days in Most States although I am sure they will vary. Your clean licence means absolutely nothing here in the States as far as I know.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

If you are talking about flying over, and staying for a couple of weeks whilst you check things out and then return to the UK, your UK licence will be fine.

Jim.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:43 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by [UK]SteveO
As the title suggests I have a FULL Clean UK Driving Licence and I'm wondering if I can drive in the US when I come over for some recce trips or do I have to take another test weather practical or theory.

thanks

sure you'll be good to go and the very best of luck
Old Nov 24th 2006, 1:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I assume you're over 21.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 2:05 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I assume you're over 21.
22 it appears .............Surcharge on the car hire in some
State for the under 25s
Old Nov 24th 2006, 2:48 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
You can drive on your UK licence for a period of 90 days in Most States although I am sure they will vary. Your clean licence means absolutely nothing here in the States as far as I know.
I thought it was for the length of your visa or until you take up residence.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 2:50 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
I thought it was for the length of your visa or until you take up residence.
She's from NJ ..dont confuse the poor old dear ..........
Old Nov 24th 2006, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

DEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant future

I have points on my UK Drivers license... When I first came here and needed to rent a car, I rented on my UK license. No one said anything or asked anything about the points (speeding and red traffic lights.)
Old Nov 24th 2006, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DEE_UK
I have points on my UK Drivers license... When I first came here and needed to rent a car, I rented on my UK license. No one said anything or asked anything about the points (speeding and red traffic lights.)
If you book your car through a british car rental company you will have to tell them your age,which may have a bearing on your insurance costs and when booked and arrive in the US, you present your british D.L, both parts,they will only look at your plastic part BUT you must have both parts with you.It may pay you to also get an international D.L from the AA,RAC or green flag to back them up.If you wait till you get to the states to rent a car be careful as insurance is not always included, thats extra. As residents in the USA will tell you, if they rent a car on their C.C, some will cover the costs of car insurance. Ours in the UK DO NOT. If you want any recommendations as to car hire companies let me know and I been with a few and I have been satisfied with, and do good deals and use Alamo,Dollar etc.What area are you going to.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 3:29 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
If you book your car through a british car rental company you will have to tell them your age,which may have a bearing on your insurance costs and when booked and arrive in the US, you present your british D.L, both parts,they will only look at your plastic part BUT you must have both parts with you.It may pay you to also get an international D.L from the AA,RAC or green flag to back them up.If you wait till you get to the states to rent a car be careful as insurance is not always included, thats extra. As residents in the USA will tell you, if they rent a car on their C.C, some will cover the costs of car insurance. Ours in the UK DO NOT. If you want any recommendations as to car hire companies let me know and I been with a few and I have been satisfied with, and do good deals and use Alamo,Dollar etc.What area are you going to.
Internation Driving licences are only good if you own county licence
is not in English ...

TIP .. dont rent in the airport ..you pay about 20% more
than an off airport site ...
Old Nov 24th 2006, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

cranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nice

I have used these several times on trips to visit the in-laws in Florida: http://www.yescarhire.com/usa/index.htm I went for the Gold Package and didn't have to worry about filling it up before returning it and adequate insurance is included.

Don't accept the 'extra' insurance that the rental desk chap will offer, you don't need it.

As Ray said, you may be able to get a better deal from an off-airport dealership, but then you need to figure in how you will get to and from the airport.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte

While you are supposed to have both parts US car rental staff are not aware of this and never ask for it in my experience - so the cleanliness of your license is irrelevant! As for international driving licences they are not required here and wont be of any benefit that i can see?
Old Nov 24th 2006, 11:30 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Also try booking your rental online. Don't book it the first time you visit the site though - you will see that the price changes almost every day. So watch it for a week or two so you know what a good price really is before you book.

Book a compact car regardless of what you want. Refuse the size upgrade when you get to the rental place, because chances are that they won't have a compact anyway and will upgrade you to a midsize or maybe even an SUV for free. If that fails (i.e., you want a midsize and they actually do have a compact) then you can change your mind and upgrade anyway.

If you plan on turning down the insurance, make sure that you are really covered (presumably by the credit card if you don't have a US licence). US rental places don't tend to be assholes about small scratches and paint chips, but there are always exceptions.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

GaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tony126
I moved to DC in August and am moving back to the UK in May, and I've been driving around with my UK licence for all this time and haven't really given much thought to getting a local licence. In light of the 90-day comment, should I? If I were pulled over, how would the police know for sure how permanent or temporary a visitor I am (unless they looked at my visa of course)? I wonder where I could find out about this for certain?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.