Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

FULL Clean UK Driving Licence

FULL Clean UK Driving Licence

Old Nov 25th 2006, 2:21 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FULL Clean UK Driving Licence

Originally Posted by GaryK
I moved to DC in August and am moving back to the UK in May, and I've been driving around with my UK licence for all this time and haven't really given much thought to getting a local licence. In light of the 90-day comment, should I? If I were pulled over, how would the police know for sure how permanent or temporary a visitor I am (unless they looked at my visa of course)? I wonder where I could find out about this for certain?
Who knows? Car registration? Insurance policy?
Old Nov 25th 2006, 2:29 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... I've been driving around with my UK licence for all this time and haven't really given much thought to getting a local licence. In light of the 90-day comment, should I? .....
It's good to know that it is not just (a small but obvious) Americans that can be arrogant, ignorant, and have total disregard for the laws of the (foreign) country in which they live!

Why did it never occur to you to find out what the legal situation was with respect to the legal requirements for driving in the US before you arrived, or very soon after? ..... I bet you'd be one of the first to complain if a US immigrant to the UK caused an accident involving you and it turned out that he/she hadn't even bothered to find out whether they were driving legally or not!

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 25th 2006 at 2:32 am.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to DC in August and am moving back to the UK in May, and I've been driving around with my UK licence for all this time and haven't really given much thought to getting a local licence. In light of the 90-day comment, should I? If I were pulled over, how would the police know for sure how permanent or temporary a visitor I am (unless they looked at my visa of course)? I wonder where I could find out about this for certain?

Check your district/state DMV/BMV. ASAP. I got 30 days, technically, and the insurance company gave me 6 months or they said they would drop me. It was all very carefully spelt out on the BMV website that once you become a resident, which in their terms means you accept a job, buy a house/sign a lease, etc., you are a resident and all residents must have a licence. Got conflicting info when I went in and asked them, so check online for the written word.

My insurance premiums dropped quite a bit once I had a US license-another plus. And, I found that I needed the ID for check-cashing, bank matters as it was easier than carrying around my passport (whilst waiting for the PRC).

As for how they can tell, well all they need to do is look at your visa or PRC (which one is supposed to carry at all times) and check your dates.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

GaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud ofGaryK has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Why did it never occur to you to find out what the legal situation was with respect to the legal requirements for driving in the US before you arrived, or very soon after? ..... I bet you'd be one of the first to complain if a US immigrant to the UK caused an accident involving you and it turned out that he/she hadn't even bothered to find out whether they were driving legally or not!
Beforehand I was under the assumption that the International Driving Permit I got from my post office would do fine, and the AA didn't seem to imply that I would need anything more for a temporary presence here.

I'm a member of Zipcar, so they take care of my insurance policies and other paperwork for me. When I signed up, all they needed was my UK licence and nothing else - they were certainly under the assumption that I would not need a US licence for driving here.

Also, I find the rudeness of certain individuals very unnecessary and unhelpful. There's lots of complaints about Americans being rude on this board, but it seems to me that some Brits aren't better at all
Old Nov 26th 2006, 3:35 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

We had a year before we needed a MA licence...then found out it could be 2 years if our Ins company was anything to go by...no-one here will ever tell you the same thing twice...
Old Nov 26th 2006, 3:42 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife recently had to study in NC and TN, we had to book hire cars for her stays there.
We found www.priceline.com 'name your price' to offer the best deals.
Priceline was always the same price as the cheapest of the others, but you can 'name your price'. We found the lowest accepted price was no more than 25% off the normal rental price. So we just offered 25% less than the quoted price and got it on both occasions. The car and service was as expected.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 3:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
22 it appears .............Surcharge on the car hire in some
State for the under 25s
most rental places don't rent out to people under 25 over here...and those that do charge you a fair some for the privilege...enterprise do I think.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 3:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Internation Driving licences are only good if you own county licence
is not in English ...
Or if your license is the old style paper one without the photo...
Old Nov 27th 2006, 3:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by krizzy
We had a year before we needed a MA licence...then found out it could be 2 years if our Ins company was anything to go by...no-one here will ever tell you the same thing twice...
MA....you've got 30 days I thought...it was 12 months in ME though, but getting insurance is the problem.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 1:45 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
MA....you've got 30 days I thought...it was 12 months in ME though, but getting insurance is the problem.
We were told 12 months...by the DMV...State Trooper who does the test....and Ins company...that was if you had an English licence...its 30 days if you have an out of State one....

If you have a SSN...you can take your test anytime...if not you can drive on your Brit License until they give in and give you an MA one....that took me 9 months without a SSN....they told me I was not a resident of MA so did not need a MA licence...I went to SS office got a letter to say I could not have a number...but did not need one to get a MA license...it was looked at in wonder for many hours in the DMV office...I was given a leaner's permit...booked a test...told by the Trooper he could give me the test but I may not get a licence...I passed...he went to the desk to recommend I have one...and I got one....

My daughter had no SSN...but went through a driving school...and she had no trouble....

We had no trouble getting Ins ...they took my full no claims too..
Old Nov 27th 2006, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
We were told 12 months...by the DMV...State Trooper who does the test....and Ins company...that was if you had an English licence...its 30 days if you have an out of State one....

If you have a SSN...you can take your test anytime...if not you can drive on your Brit License until they give in and give you an MA one....that took me 9 months without a SSN....they told me I was not a resident of MA so did not need a MA licence...I went to SS office got a letter to say I could not have a number...but did not need one to get a MA license...it was looked at in wonder for many hours in the DMV office...I was given a leaner's permit...booked a test...told by the Trooper he could give me the test but I may not get a licence...I passed...he went to the desk to recommend I have one...and I got one....

My daughter had no SSN...but went through a driving school...and she had no trouble....

We had no trouble getting Ins ...they took my full no claims too..

My wife had no SSN when we first moved out but signed an affidavid stating she wasnt elgible for one and that was fine in TX - i know its not the case in all States though!!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:27 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

Originally Posted by Big D
My wife had no SSN when we first moved out but signed an affidavid stating she wasnt elgible for one and that was fine in TX - i know its not the case in all States though!!
When you read the MA DMV website..it seemed cut and dry...you can take your test if from a different country anytime within 12 months if you have a letter from the SS office saying you don't need a SS number to have a licence....if you're from a country that drove on the same side of the road as the USA ...no driving test is needed...you just get a MA License the same as if you'd just moved State...in real life...its a different story...and so far every Brit here as had something different happen to them or told to them...