Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Frosted Shreddies

Frosted Shreddies

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:17 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frosted Shreddies

Originally Posted by cutina
Splenda is sucralose, which has more in common with chlorinated pesdicides than with suger. Although in itself, it has been 'approved' (in small amounts), its breakdown products have not ben tested properly. It is thought than in large amounts, sucralose could cause kidney, liver, and reproductive defects, although this has not been properly tested yet.

The best thing you can do for your body is stick to the least prosessed food you can; and it may take a while to adapt to the taste of less sugar, but after a while its ok.... I have to admit, i'm no angel, but I think for health reasons it's better to cut back than to substitute with this kind of thing. The advantage of 'natural' products is that they've been eaten for 100's of years, and we know the effects they have- better the devil you know.

just a thought!!
p.s. beer has been around for ages, so it's ok, right!!!

thanks for the info

I will point this out to my wife as she chugs down a diet coke with splenda
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:21 pm
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
thanks for the info

I will point this out to my wife as she chugs down a diet coke with splenda
yes, i'm sure she'll be VERY grateful!! I do still have the too sometimes , i just think it's nice to know... ok maybe not nice!!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:29 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

yes, i'm sure she'll be VERY grateful!! I do still have the too sometimes , i just think it's nice to know... ok maybe not nice!!
I just googled it

I think I will stay away - not that i even have a sweet tooth
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:15 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Splenda is sucralose, which has more in common with chlorinated pesdicides than with suger. Although in itself, it has been 'approved' (in small amounts), its breakdown products have not ben tested properly. It is thought than in large amounts, sucralose could cause kidney, liver, and reproductive defects, although this has not been properly tested yet.
Bleedin smartass....
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:22 pm
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Bleedin smartass....
sorry Ray... i did tell you i was a scientist!
Are you terribly disappointed in me?
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:33 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

sorry Ray... i did tell you i was a scientist!
Are you terribly disappointed in me?
No doubt continuing the work of Josef Mengele...
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 10:45 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perfumdiva1

The shop bought bread here lasts forever, and never goes stale (so that in itself isnt a good thing)
I have to say that you are right. Just got back from a month long vacation and the packet of hot dog buns we left out on the counter are as 'fresh' as the day we left, which was about a week old then! Scarey!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

The best thing you can do for your body is stick to the least prosessed food you can; and it may take a while to adapt to the taste of less sugar, but after a while its ok.... I have to admit, i'm no angel, but I think for health reasons it's better to cut back than to substitute with this kind of thing. The advantage of 'natural' products is that they've been eaten for 100's of years, and we know the effects they have- better the devil you know.

just a thought!!
p.s. beer has been around for ages, so it's ok, right!!!

I swear I'm just going to use sugar for crying out loud!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 11:30 pm
stara koka masna juha

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I swear I'm just going to use sugar for crying out loud!
sorry!
Old Aug 24th 2005, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yosser
Already ate the 2 boxes I brought back with me from my trip to Blighty last month.

Anybody seen frosted shreddies in the stores over here?

Also the "organic" version of Weetabix ain't bad ($3.95 per box at super Tarchay) makes one shite thru an eye of a needle within 2 hours of consumption though.

Bloody fed up with the choice of breakfast stuff over here, half the shelf is 100 different types of cheerios or oatmeal!
Have you tried Frosted Chex (the wheat variety) Yosser? I'm not sure if they have it in our Tarjay but they have it in Tom Thumb and it looks very similar to shreddies. I think we had them at some point last year and seem to remember my hubby saying they didn't taste quite as malty as shreddies but maybe worth a try.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:32 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
Have you tried Frosted Chex (the wheat variety) Yosser? I'm not sure if they have it in our Tarjay but they have it in Tom Thumb and it looks very similar to shreddies. I think we had them at some point last year and seem to remember my hubby saying they didn't taste quite as malty as shreddies but maybe worth a try.
Yeah, tried them Snorko. I'm afraid they were no good.

I'm a picky bugger when it comes to certain tastes, its a bit like people telling me that vegamite is exactly the same as marmite......well I tell you it ****ing well ain't
Old Aug 25th 2005, 1:02 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried Life Cereal by Quaker? Dunno what it tastes like, just noticed it in the store yesterday. Looks kind of similar at least