Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Front loader questions

Front loader questions

Old Jun 21st 2008, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Front loader questions

I have tried to search this but to no avail.....

ok, I am looking at this washer:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....#productdetail

When you look at the estimated yearly operating costs (at the bottom of the page) it states that it depends whether you have a gas or electric heater.

Now my washing maching here (and dishwasher) are all cold fill machines and so not dependant on me having the hot water on. It would seem to me that the opposite would be true for this machine - Am I barking up the wrong tree?

If I am right, would that be the case for all front loaders, or just this make and model?
Old Jun 21st 2008, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Front loader questions

All clothes washers in the US use both hot and cold fills. They will mix the hot and cold to the desired temperature. There isn't a need for an internal heater since clothes washers do not need extremely hot water even on the hottest setting.

Dishwashers in the US use a hot fill. The dishwasher will then heat the hot water with an internal heater to the desired temperature.

Supposedly it does it this way in the US to save on costs since a central water heater is usually more efficient than possible electric heaters in the washers. Also there is less delay using the central water heater and lower purchase cost for a clothes washer since it doesn't need an internal heater.

Last edited by Michael; Jun 21st 2008 at 9:59 am.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Michael,

That's very helpful indeed!
Old Jun 21st 2008, 1:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
I have tried to search this but to no avail.....

ok, I am looking at this washer:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....#productdetail

When you look at the estimated yearly operating costs (at the bottom of the page) it states that it depends whether you have a gas or electric heater.

Now my washing maching here (and dishwasher) are all cold fill machines and so not dependant on me having the hot water on. It would seem to me that the opposite would be true for this machine - Am I barking up the wrong tree?

If I am right, would that be the case for all front loaders, or just this make and model?
I have a front loading washing machine which is hot and cold fill...it doesn't heat the water. It has been discussed on here before that some of the new machines do heat the water to the required temperature. My US washer doesn't clean the clothes as anywhere near as well as my UK Hoover washer did. I believe this is because of the water temp, the short amount of time of the actual washing cycle and the drum only rotates in one direction.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Jerseygirl.

I have looked at the small print and some of the more expensive models seem to have a temperature regulating thing.

All my US friends seem to be quite happy washing their clothes in cold water, it just seems odd to me!
Old Jun 21st 2008, 1:44 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

my whirlpool washer is also front loading and has a steam boost so i certainly do not wash in cold water. Im very pleased with mine but it wasnt cheap. If you do buy a front loader make sure you use HE marked detergent (any brand can be HE) as this produces less bubbles than the traditional detergent suitable for the traditional top loaders. Otherwise it can affect the wash quality.

the reason they might not get as clean as in the UK as is they simply do not have as much electrical power as the uk and so the machines lack oomph. I remember being in HR Greggs when buying a machine and the sales guy walzted over to this model and explained it had a really powerful 1100 rpm spin - he was totally flabbergasted when i told him the one i had left back home had a spin of 1600rpm!
Old Jun 21st 2008, 1:45 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

also have a look at the consumer reports website - its the us equivalent of Which and can give pointers as to what to look for and what models are efficient etc.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 1:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a link to 4 previous threads. It may be time sensitive...if so using the search facility at the top of the page...put in 'washing machine' ...'search entire posts' in the box on the top left hand side of the page. Set the search to US forums.

IMO top loaders are crap...I wouldn't have one given to me.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...earchid=331160
Old Jun 21st 2008, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Don't know if it's the BE site or just me but it doesn't seem to be coming up with anything when I search. I had this problem before and it seemed ok the next time I try, I'll have a go later on.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

IMO top loaders are crap...I wouldn't have one given to me.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...earchid=331160
When we used to visit my Grannys house in the Western Isles in the 70's and early 80's she had a toploader with a spin dryer and mangle, I just remember the mangle smashed all your buttons if you weren't careful!
Old Jun 21st 2008, 2:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Don't know if it's the BE site or just me but it doesn't seem to be coming up with anything when I search. I had this problem before and it seemed ok the next time I try, I'll have a go later on.
There is a problem with the search facility at the moment...I was quite surprised it came up with 4 threads when I tried.

There's a few threads in Site Feedback forum about it:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=63
Old Jun 21st 2008, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MsElui
also have a look at the consumer reports website - its the us equivalent of Which and can give pointers as to what to look for and what models are efficient etc.
Thanks, I will do that.

Any tips regarding buying tumble dryers? I was probably going to go for a cheaper model and spend more on the washer. I don't suppose they are too different from UK ones?
Old Jun 21st 2008, 3:39 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I will do that.

Any tips regarding buying tumble dryers? I was probably going to go for a cheaper model and spend more on the washer. I don't suppose they are too different from UK ones?
Electric dryers actually use 220v in the US through a special electrical outlet (technically it's actually 2 x 110v out of phase). Personally, I'd buy the cheapest one going. The one's that "match" the expensive frontloaders don't seem to have much to justify their x2 or x3 price difference.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Electric dryers actually use 220v in the US through a special electrical outlet (technically it's actually 2 x 110v out of phase). Personally, I'd buy the cheapest one going. The one's that "match" the expensive frontloaders don't seem to have much to justify their x2 or x3 price difference.
Thanks Fatbrit, I had thought to buy a cheap model. I don't really care if they match, I don't suppose anyone but me will be looking at them! I don't intend on spending $$$$ on the little stands that go with some of them either, I've managed until now without one!
Old Jun 21st 2008, 4:23 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

So this isn't about tractor attachments, is it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.