Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Frogs and Bugs and sharks in Florida

Wikiposts

Frogs and Bugs and sharks in Florida

Old May 8th 2006, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frogs and Bugs and sharks in Florida

Originally Posted by Hiro11
The number of insanely fat people I see everyday here in Chicago and when I go down to Florida on vacation is truly incredible these days. I'm not talking moderately heavy people, I'm talking full-blown land whales waddling along. I went to Disney World with my kids in February this year and that was the absolute worst. I couldn't believe the number of hugely overweight children huffing along, sweating even though it was fairly cool. To me, that's child abuse. I know I shouldn't judge in PC America these days (blah, blah, blah), but it actually offends me. Get off your ass, put down the Pringles can and lose some weight.

I think what other people have said about fatness being destigmatized because everyone is fat makes a lot of sense. I'm 5'10" and weighed in a hefty 230 about a year ago. My doctor said nothing, everyone around me looked the same so it really didn't matter. The problem was that I felt like shit, had no energy and really hated all the excess weight. I'm at 185 now and trying to lose another 10 after I started running and cut out crap food. Everyone keeps telling me how skinny I look. WTF? Skinny at 5'10", 185lbs? I look normal, not skinny. Everyone's perspective is just off these days.
Hiro, Totally agree with your statement.
At 5' 10" & 160 Ibs, I have been told "Your to thin, on several occasions".
Reg. Frank R.
Old May 8th 2006, 3:54 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Ok so when I arrived in October it was like an English summer and I was lulled into a false sense of security. So a couple of weeks ago it was stormy and since then we have a frog chorus every night, plagues of ants, cockroaches and other bugs. Birds singing all night. I know we live on a reclaimed swamp but its more like being in the jungle.

Oh and we went to the beach and everyone had to get out of the sea cos someone thought they saw a shark!
I've been warned the only place I walk has cottonmouths and its nearly hurricane season. Its apparently gonna be 20 degrees hotter soon so what else am I missing?

We were at the beach at Cedar Key on Sunday...the kids were playing in the rocks when they came back and said "Dad, come see this." So I gets up out of my chair (knotted hanky still in place) and wanders over to what delight they have for me. It was one of these:

And they were attempting to poke it with a stick! Needless to say I ushered them back ASAP and informed the local beach patrol.

For those that are unsure....it was a Cotton Mouth. The most deadly and aggressive snake in the southern US.

Welcome to Florida.
Old May 8th 2006, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
We were at the beach at Cedar Key on Sunday...the kids were playing in the rocks when they came back and said "Dad, come see this."

And they were attempting to poke it with a stick!
Awww kids.....you never know what they'll uncover next. :scared: :scared:
Old May 8th 2006, 4:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
-this one is maybe just for me: the Red Sox have spring training in Fort Meyers, only about 45 minutes away.
probably a lot cheaper and easier to catch than at Fenway

which is one good thing that the red sox twinned with Portland Seadogs, we get to see some of those heffers when there injured
Old May 8th 2006, 7:50 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
We were at the beach at Cedar Key on Sunday...the kids were playing in the rocks when they came back and said "Dad, come see this." So I gets up out of my chair (knotted hanky still in place) and wanders over to what delight they have for me. It was one of these:

And they were attempting to poke it with a stick! Needless to say I ushered them back ASAP and informed the local beach patrol.

For those that are unsure....it was a Cotton Mouth. The most deadly and aggressive snake in the southern US.

Welcome to Florida.

Who needs good weather and beaches anyway, I believe I shall stay in NY thank you very much (and I always fancied Florida too!) :scared:
Old May 8th 2006, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
Who needs good weather and beaches anyway, I believe I shall stay in NY thank you very much (and I always fancied Florida too!) :scared:
You must love snow!
Old May 8th 2006, 10:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
You must love snow!
Not all winters are sub zero with lots of snow, at least the sun is shining and the sky is bright blue most of the time. We have long hot summers and fall is mild and very colourful. I wouldn't live in Florida with all the bugs, snakes and hurricances.
Old May 8th 2006, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Not all winters are sub zero with lots of snow, at least the sun is shining and the sky is bright blue most of the time. We have long hot summers and fall is mild and very colourful. I wouldn't live in Florida with all the bugs, snakes and hurricances.
Thanks Jersey, I am moving to FL. My wife's, best friend got bit by lge viper in Virginia. Sitting at picnic table. NJ has plenty of slivery things, as does NY.
Reg. Frank R.
Old May 8th 2006, 10:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Thanks Jersey, I am moving to FL. My wife's, best friend got bit by lge viper in Virginia. Sitting at picnic table. NJ has plenty of slivery things, as does NY.
Reg. Frank R.

I had a hunch that's where you were moving too Frank. Good luck with the move. Yes we have snakes but not many poisonous ones. I can't even cope with the bugs in NJ I hate them. Last I heard we don't have alligators, or at least I've never seen one in my pool.
Old May 8th 2006, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

I had a hunch that's where you were moving too Frank. Good luck with the move. Yes we have snakes but not many poisonous ones. I can't even cope with the bugs in NJ I hate them. Last I heard we don't have alligators, or at least I've never seen one in my pool.
I hate the s things.
Reg. Frank R.
Old May 8th 2006, 10:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I hate the s things.
Reg. Frank R.
So does my daughter, won't even walk past them in the pet store. Oh, forgot to mention we don't get hurricanes either.
Old May 8th 2006, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

So does my daughter, won't even walk past them in the pet store. Oh, forgot to mention we don't get hurricanes either.
Maybe I should move to NJ.?
Reg. Frank R.
Old May 8th 2006, 11:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Maybe I should move to NJ.?
Reg. Frank R.
Maybe you should, there's one for sale near me.
Old May 8th 2006, 11:39 am
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah you do . We had one when we lived in NJ, schools were out lots of rain and wind. don't remember it's name.
Old May 8th 2006, 11:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by clydegirl
Yeah you do . We had one when we lived in NJ, schools were out lots of rain and wind. don't remember it's name.
Not like the ones they get in the south I bet. When was that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.