Reload this Page >

Friend visiting from UK - can he drive my car

Friend visiting from UK - can he drive my car

Old Mar 24th 2012, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

cwooloff is on a distinguished road
Default Friend visiting from UK - can he drive my car

All,

Quick question, probably been answered before.....!

Have a buddy with a uk driving license coming over for a week, can i let him drive my car, would he be covered under my insurance?

Cheers

Carl
Old Mar 24th 2012, 8:26 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Friend visiting from UK - can he drive my car

Originally Posted by cwooloff View Post
All,

Have a buddy with a uk driving license coming over for a week, can i let him drive my car, would he be covered under my insurance?

Cheers

Carl
I would call your insurance agent and get them to confirm any questions you have
Old Mar 24th 2012, 8:29 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cwooloff View Post
All,

Cheers

Carl
Probably, as long as you add him to your insurance. My FIL recently visited and we added him to the policy with no problems, they needed his:
Driving Licence Number:
Date he passed his test:
Date of Birth:

I think that was it. He's over 60 and the grand total to add him to the policy for 3 weeks was $0.00
Old Mar 24th 2012, 8:49 pm
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

Check with your insurance company. Ours recently told us that for a visit of less than 28 days, anyone with our permission to drive is covered by our policy. Previously we have put visitors on as named drivers for the duration of the visit and then taken them off again after the trip, but this time the insures did not require us to do that. The rules probably vary from state to state as well as between companies.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 10:22 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We were only allowed to let Ds drive when he came to visit if his California license was still valid. I had asked about my Step father driving our spare car while he was here (different ins company back then) but they said not without a California license, so I did all the driving

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Mar 24th 2012 at 11:26 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2012, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

cwooloff is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replys...looks like i am gonna have to call the insurance company.....press 1 for a long wait....press 2 for a long wait...press 3 for a long wait....
Old Mar 24th 2012, 11:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://gethuman.com/

Give 'em a shout and find out.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pombat View Post
Check with your insurance company. Ours recently told us that for a visit of less than 28 days, anyone with our permission to drive is covered by our policy. Previously we have put visitors on as named drivers for the duration of the visit and then taken them off again after the trip, but this time the insures did not require us to do that. The rules probably vary from state to state as well as between companies.
I had a similar response from my ins. co. many years ago.

I encourage visitors to get a rental these days to reduce my stress!
Old Mar 25th 2012, 9:32 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

May I suggest READING your policy? I know that mine covers guests up to 28 days. The exception was when my kids were under 25, they were expressly excluded. When they came home from school, we changed the policy for the time of the vacation. When they graduated, they obtained their own policies but with the same carrier as mum & dad -- the exclusion was then removed from our policies.

I join that it depends upon the carrier. Also, I know that my State Farm agent is quite knowledegable.