Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Friday fun - stupidest thing you've been asked since you've been here...

Friday fun - stupidest thing you've been asked since you've been here...

Old Dec 23rd 2007, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

EnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud of
Default Re: Friday fun - stupidest thing you've been asked since you've been here...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/images/smilies/rofl.gif
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

catrocks will become famous soon enoughcatrocks will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Friday fun - stupidest thing you've been asked since you've been here...

Man in airport smoking room is talking to me for about 10 mins, and suddenly he says "you know, you speak REALLY good English!".
Me: Thank you!
Him: Where are you from?
Me: England.
Man looks embarrassed and leaves.

Neighbour lady: Where are you from?
Me: England
Lady: I thought it was either England or Ireland, but I would have guessed England because you don't have red hair (?)

Random person: Where are you from in England?
Me: Liverpool
Person: Isn't that a suburb of London?
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

A few weeks after I arrived I went for my first haircut at a US barbers. Instead of talking about DIY or caravanning it went...

Barber: You sound like you're from England.
Me: I am
Barber: England is a country, right?
me: Yes
Barber: And London is a city?
me: Yes...
Barber: What about Amsterdam?
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 8:34 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

What?

Still no comment from Ray on the Revocation of Independence?
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Just to show it cuts both ways, my daughter was chatting online to a boy she used to go to school with in the UK, they're both 12yrs. He asked her where in the US she lived now, and she answered Pennsylvania, he said 'isn't that where Count Dracula's from'? Made us laugh anyway.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 1:50 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by catrocks
Random person: Where are you from in England?
Me: Liverpool
Person: Isn't that a suburb of London?
American geographical view of the UK.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 3:15 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Manc
American geographical view of the UK.
http://www.brookview.karoo.net/BFA/B...main_parts.gif
Scotland? Is that a country?
Old Dec 24th 2007, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
Well, lol, we are unable to persuade my Scottish future MIL that "Chicago" is not part of my address (I live in a different city in Illinois). Thankfully the post office ignores her.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 6:27 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
no its a wee small field just north of Newcastle
Old Dec 24th 2007, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Well I got my own back (in a small way) earlier....

Guy in supermarket - you're English aren't you?
Me - uh-huh
Guy - my mother was from Liverpool
Me - oh cool - so she must know the Beatles then...
Guy - <confused> I don't think so....
Me - <smirk> Merry Xmas....
Old Dec 24th 2007, 9:24 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

This conversation takes place at least weekly:

Oh, are you Australian?
no, English
OHHHHHH...what part?
Surrey
What part?
Surrey
What part of England are you from?
Surrey
OHHH SURREY!!!!! I thought you were saying Sorry...**hysterical laughter**

My Hubbys favourite (he's a Yank) from when we were in a restaurant:

Her: What would you like to drink?
Me: Water please
Her: *confused look*
Me: Water please
Her: HUH?
Me: Water please....a glass of water
Her: * looking around for someone to help her*
My Hubby: SHE WANTS SOME WADDA!!!!!!
Her: ohhhhhhhhhhh wadda...ok

Oh and a classic. I work in a hotel. There are lots of kids that come to summer camp around here and their parents stay at the hotel.

Her: Ohhhhhh you are English...all the people at my daughter's summer camp are English
Her child: No Mum, they are Australian
Her: Same thing
(her kid looked like she wanted to shrivel up and die at that point...poor thing )
Old Dec 25th 2007, 12:56 am

:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all

Exchange at the art museum yesterday looking at a Canaletto
Woman to man: Where's that?
Man: St Mark's Square
Woman: (peers for 1 second ) It don't look like it!

Old Dec 26th 2007, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

Hobnob is just really niceHobnob is just really niceHobnob is just really niceHobnob is just really niceHobnob is just really niceHobnob is just really niceHobnob is just really niceHobnob is just really niceHobnob is just really nice

while helping my MIL`s husband move some crap around in his POS pick-up truck I slammed it in 2nd gear (cos it was a steep downhill slope) and took off.
Him: do you know how to drive?
Me : course I do.
Him: Do they have trucks in England then?
Me : Yep and they have gearboxes too.
Him: oh ok.
Me : Its a new thing tho cos with all the rain we get we normally use gondolas.
He is now residing in a mental hospital, nothing to do with me tho
Old Dec 26th 2007, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Hey everyone - how about giving me some karma????? I started this thread after all.....and it is Xmas!

Just kidding - hope everyone's had a good one....
Old Dec 26th 2007, 2:57 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ri_mischief
I started this thread after all...
you started only the 17 thread on daft things yanks say.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.