Wikiposts

Fresno CA

Old Nov 7th 2008, 10:48 am
Just Joined

MK_Cali is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fresno CA

i am new to this forum and was very happy when i found it. There are so many posts here which are useful and close to my heart.

i moved to the US (NJ) Feb '07 and then my husband and i moved to California (Fresno?!). Since moving here i have been asked repeatedly "why did you move to Fresno?!" and to be honest i am beginning to regret the move. It has been nearly over a year since we moved to Fresno and i am finding it impossible to find a job here. i am an IT auditor from London and although i am happy settling for a small office job here - even this is proving difficult.

Do i need US experience/ schooling on my Resume? Is it my accent? Or just bad luck?

Old Nov 7th 2008, 11:15 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fresno CA

Originally Posted by MK_Cali
i am new to this forum and was very happy when i found it. There are so many posts here which are useful and close to my heart.

i moved to the US (NJ) Feb '07 and then my husband and i moved to California (Fresno?!). Since moving here i have been asked repeatedly "why did you move to Fresno?!" and to be honest i am beginning to regret the move. It has been nearly over a year since we moved to Fresno and i am finding it impossible to find a job here. i am an IT auditor from London and although i am happy settling for a small office job here - even this is proving difficult.

Do i need US experience/ schooling on my Resume? Is it my accent? Or just bad luck?

I live in Modesto and visit Fresno on a regular basis its not you its Fresno in general its known for being a low income few and far between jobs, the amount of folk that I meet in Modesto and Madera that commute from Fresno is unreal, have you tried Clovis area or Tulare!!
Personally I think you might be looking at a bit of travelling.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:47 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Since moving here i have been asked repeatedly "why did you move to Fresno?!"
So, why *did* you move?
Old Nov 7th 2008, 1:21 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Fresno

I can only imagine people moving away from there.

"Why did you move to Fresno?!"............sounds logical to me.

Welcome to BE all the same
Old Nov 7th 2008, 2:04 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SagenOnion
Fresno

I can only imagine people moving away from there.

"Why did you move to Fresno?!"............sounds logical to me.

Welcome to BE all the same
I have to agree next to Stockton its the next hell hole in Northern Cali....Modesto is not to sharp but at least its a bit more refined.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 2:22 pm
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I have to agree next to Stockton its the next hell hole in Northern Cali....Modesto is not to sharp but at least its a bit more refined.
....and how have you been my precious central valley poppet?

Happily back and settled from the delights of Norfolk I trust?
Old Nov 7th 2008, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by SagenOnion
....and how have you been my precious central valley poppet?

Happily back and settled from the delights of Norfolk I trust?
You don't wanna know lol my life is always a drama from the moment I get up to the time I go to sleep......

Norfolk still getting over it.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 3:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

You don't wanna know lol my life is always a drama from the moment I get up to the time I go to sleep......

Norfolk still getting over it.

Is that Norfolk getting over the shock of you visiting or the other way round?
Old Nov 7th 2008, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Is that Norfolk getting over the shock of you visiting or the other way round?
Cheeky bugger, the country bumpkins send thier regards
Old Nov 7th 2008, 3:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheeky bugger, the country bumpkins send thier regards
I'm married to a country bumpkin, he knew all the best country lanes to park up in
Old Nov 7th 2008, 4:04 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

THERE ARE 10 MILLION UNEMPLOYED
Old Nov 7th 2008, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

What keeps you in Fresno? I'm in the Bay Area and the economy seems pretty sound. I'm not saying it's a job paradise at this moment in time, but two people just left my company for new jobs, and everyone seems confident. As an IT Auditor, you should be able to find a job here. So if you could move elsewhere in CA, life may get better. Good Luck!
Old Nov 8th 2008, 3:42 am
Just Joined

Athanasius is an unknown quantity at this point

Why did you move to Fresno?

But seriously folks - my in-laws live 1/2 hour outside of Fresno and it is the armpit of the state.

What does your husband do that took you there?

What about your CV - have you "translated" your qualifications to what is, essentially, a piece of the American mid-west dropped near the ocean? Are you writing to a group of people who have either never left the Central Valley or who have made a very real choice to live in a much less "challenging" or progressive area of the State, instead of LA or SFO/SJC. Are you speaking positively about yourself and how "excited" and "optimistic" you are and how "well-qualified" and "perfectly suited" for the position you are? Or are you being in any way self-deprecating? Sell yourself. Be insanely out-there with how great you are.

It could be your accent, but it could also be the need for your skillset in Fresno. If you sell undersell and downplay your experience you could probably do helpdesk, but the Central Valley is just not a tech hotbed.

Could your husband find work in LA or Bay Area?

I'm just throwing out things that pop into my head here...
Old Nov 8th 2008, 5:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE

Worth reading the resume info in the wiki, flog your skills like a slapper on a saturday night is the way over here and don't be shy about it
Old Nov 8th 2008, 9:50 am
Just Joined

MK_Cali is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you or your replies and the responses were exactly what i thought i would be getting.

We moved to Fresno because my husbands family is out here, in-laws were retiring here and husband is a pharmacist so there are plenty of jobs for him here...and everywhere i suppose.

Yes i am going to give it another try for a job in Fresno (in Finance) and then if there is still no luck then San Jose- here we come!

Thank you again for your advice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.