Wikiposts

Fresno

Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:29 am
Just Joined

cloughie74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fresno

Hello,
I am moving to Fresno from Harrogate in the UK in three weeks with my husband and two small children; I wondered if any of the Brit expats on this site live in that region? I am British, but have dual US-UK citizenship and have lived in Florida for three years. I have heard good and bad about Fresno. I imagine that I will just make my mind up about it when I get there! At least is seems centrally located, so we can visit other places of interest.
Another question I have concerns family visits to the US. If my family wanted to come and visit from the UK, do they now need to apply for visas in advance?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fresno

Originally Posted by cloughie74
Hello,
I am moving to Fresno from Harrogate in the UK in three weeks with my husband and two small children; I wondered if any of the Brit expats on this site live in that region? I am British, but have dual US-UK citizenship and have lived in Florida for three years. I have heard good and bad about Fresno. I imagine that I will just make my mind up about it when I get there! At least is seems centrally located, so we can visit other places of interest.
Another question I have concerns family visits to the US. If my family wanted to come and visit from the UK, do they now need to apply for visas in advance?
Harrogate to Fresno must be just about the ultimate culture shock!
Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:01 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cloughie74
If you've got visa questions, they should go in the US Immigration forum.
If your family members are eligible to travel visa-free on the Visa Waiver Program, they don't need visas for visits.
If they are not eligible, they need a visitor's visa (B-2) before traveling.

Hopefully some Fresno people will pop in.. today is a holiday here though, so there are fewer people around.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:34 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply. I personally don't have visa concerns. As I said, I am a dual citizen. I have a US passport and so do all my family members. My husband was born in the US. I was merely stating that so people DID NOT think I had visa questions relared to me. I am solely looking to meet other Brits in the Fresno area. The question about family coming to visit was an aside and I will post that in the relevant category. Thank you.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:35 am
Just Joined

Sorry, I meant my immediate family are US citizens, not my mother etc. Thanks again!
Old Jul 5th 2010, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Harrogate to Fresno must be just about the ultimate culture shock!
No kidding! At least we went from Harrogate to Seattle!

What is bringing you to Fresno, if I might ask?
Old Jul 5th 2010, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Fresno
Old Jul 5th 2010, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Because Frenso is primarily a farming community, many of the schools are not ranked that high due to many families of the children aren't well educated (also many illegal immigrants). It appears that if you want a good school, you should find a home in the Clovis school district (Woodland Park and Clovis area). Click on any symbol to see information about different schools.

http://schoolperformancemaps.com/ca/...68143%2C11%2C1

I haven't been to Fresno for a long time but remember that it is a pretty clean city. However, since it is in the inland valley, it will be very hot during the summer with no cooling ocean breezes.

The only person that I know off on BE that lives in the hot inland valley is "Poppy Girl" but she lives near Modesto.

Last edited by Michael; Jul 5th 2010 at 9:29 am.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 9:59 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the move, we aren't far from Poppy and the weather is heating up fast. mid to upper 90's all week here so even hotter in Fresno.
I've been through there one time, not the best but I'm sure there are worse places to live.
Why did you pick Fresno?
Old Jul 5th 2010, 11:45 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Good luck with the move, we aren't far from Poppy and the weather is heating up fast. mid to upper 90's all week here so even hotter in Fresno.
I've been through there one time, not the best but I'm sure there are worse places to live.
Why did you pick Fresno?
Yep its a Hot one again , but any ways I go there 2-3 times a month I have customers there and its worse then Modesto in my opinion (if thats possible!) there is no culture to the place what so ever its just what I call Blar and rough for the most part, at least I live on the edge of Modesto going into the countryside...
Parts of Clovis are OK but in general nasty, sorry to tell you but you did ask

Good luck
Old Jul 5th 2010, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Yep its a Hot one again , but any ways I go there 2-3 times a month I have customers there and its worse then Modesto in my opinion (if thats possible!) there is no culture to the place what so ever its just what I call Blar and rough for the most part, at least I live on the edge of Modesto going into the countryside...
Bakersfield is marginally worse than Fresno imo, but it's a close run thing.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 12:10 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I hear you
Old Jul 5th 2010, 1:08 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

One of the women in the office moved from Bakersfield to LA around 5 years ago. Her daughter's class were telling stories of field trips to The Getty, Science Centre.... the only place she had been was cotton picking

She was also shot in the foot in a gang drive by shooting, and a distant relative recently shot dead to steal his car. She seems to think its normal in Bakersfield.

Oh and it smells of cows. Apart from that it seems lovely
Old Jul 5th 2010, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl

Good luck
But you can rent a 3,000 sq ft house for about $2,000 a month in Clovis.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 1:42 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

I went to high school in Harrogate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.