Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A Fresh Start in the US.

Wikiposts

A Fresh Start in the US.

Old Oct 31st 2013, 3:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Fresh Start in the US.

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Get in the Ring would also have been appropriate.
Or Get in the Swing

Old Oct 31st 2013, 3:59 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Drivers don't even notice the difference down here

One odd thing I discovered about MA, none moving violations also get you points on your license
What, like parking in the middle of the road, maybe?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Aye, that too.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 4:08 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Drivers don't even notice the difference down here

One odd thing I discovered about MA, none moving violations also get you points on your license
The state is also stupid enough to let people use their cell phone whilst driving, which irritates me no end. How can such a 'progressive' state be so backwards on this? CT, NYC, CA have all banned it. Why not MA? It results in people driving distracted all the time here!
Old Oct 31st 2013, 4:09 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Get in the Ring would also have been appropriate.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
You are incorrigible.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 4:14 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
You are incorrigible.
They broke the mo(u)ld...
Old Oct 31st 2013, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlashBeliever
Hi all, Im new here, and as you've guessed from the title, I am looking to have a fresh start in the US. I'm currently in the UK as a single mother with two kids (16 and 13). I have a rough idea on the immigration process and have had a brief conversation with an immigration lawyer to find out a little more about what I was unsure about, However there are a few things have come up since and I was wondering if anybody could possibly be so kind as to help me out a little bit.

I am a Human resources and development professional with a Masters degree and 10+ years experience working for U.S companies such as G.E in the past and now working for TYCS Managed Services. Which is an international company with office's in the US, as far as im aware, i know a guy at my work is originally from the UK but now lives in the US and comes back here once every two weeks, so im aware of some type of transfer plan. As my 1 year probation is almost up at TYCS' Im wondering if its possible to ask for a transfer? or if you have to be selected?

I apologize if this is long, I really do, Iv'e just spent so many hours on the internet with so little results, anyway thank you.
Sorry to be rude and get the conversation back on topic...

Nobody in the US is going to look twice at your CV. As others have said, there's no reason to. If you're really serious about this and you can't get a transfer (which is your best shot at doing this move), you need to find a recruitment company. You need to target yourself at specific markets to have a chance of narrowing down a place to work.

You said you wanted to move to New York but didn't specify whether you meant city or state. If it's NYC...the whole world wants to move to NYC. Competition is insane. This is a gigantic country full of more towns and cities than you'll ever be able to name, and I don't understand why people always limit themselves to the same old places: NYC, San Francisco, Boston. These are fantastic cities and great places to live, but if your priority is getting to America, I would say, cast your net wide. You can always move later on. Of course, if you meant NY state and have your own reasons for doing so, I suppose you can ignore this.

Second thing is the issue of your kids. Have you talked to them about this? What are their thoughts? My sister has a 13-year-old and she's always telling him that they're moving to South Africa, or Canada, or Sweden, or America, because she's desperate for a fresh start and comes up with one place after another. It's depressing to see this rollercoaster of elation and disappointment that my poor nephew has to experience. I hope you are talking about this with your kids in a sensible way.

Third thing is whether you have any experience living abroad before now. Speaking from my own experience, it was a gigantic culture shock, and I did it on my own at 21 when I was brazen and invincible. Took me years to adjust, and there were many times I thought about leaving. Consider how you'll adjust, and how you'll help your children adjust. Consider how isolated you might feel, and how you plan to replace the support network you have now: friends, family, any local professionals who make your life easier (maybe a good doctor, or a good boss, or a good counsellor).

It is possible, and people do succeed and make happy transitions over here. But I think it depends a lot on whether you're a good match for your destination, how well you handle change and adversity, and what your children want.

Last edited by Rose tea; Oct 31st 2013 at 5:48 am.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 6:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What, like parking in the middle of the road, maybe?
Basically any ticket, that's not a moving violation, so having the music to loud, expired registration, inspection, parking further than 18 inches from the curb <-would be parking on the other side of the street etc.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 6:46 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Basically any ticket, that's not a moving violation, so having the music to loud, expired registration, inspection, parking further than 18 inches from the curb <-would be parking on the other side of the street etc.
Yeah, makes sense.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 6:48 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Parking on the other side of the street is an offence?
Old Oct 31st 2013, 6:49 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I think maybe it means just encroaching into the other lane, while (albeit horrendously) attempting to park on one side.

Could be miles off, though.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 6:54 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Parking on the "wrong" side of the road (ie, facing oncoming traffic) can earn you a ticket.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 7:06 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Nutek
Parking on the "wrong" side of the road (ie, facing oncoming traffic) can earn you a ticket.
Oh bugger, I do that all the time! It's bizarre to me why 'mericans don't park like we do back in England.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 7:13 am
Just Joined

FlashBeliever has much to be proud ofFlashBeliever has much to be proud ofFlashBeliever has much to be proud ofFlashBeliever has much to be proud ofFlashBeliever has much to be proud ofFlashBeliever has much to be proud ofFlashBeliever has much to be proud ofFlashBeliever has much to be proud ofFlashBeliever has much to be proud ofFlashBeliever has much to be proud ofFlashBeliever has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rose tea
Sorry to be rude and get the conversation back on topic...

Nobody in the US is going to look twice at your CV. As others have said, there's no reason to. If you're really serious about this and you can't get a transfer (which is your best shot at doing this move), you need to find a recruitment company. You need to target yourself at specific markets to have a chance of narrowing down a place to work.

You said you wanted to move to New York but didn't specify whether you meant city or state. If it's NYC...the whole world wants to move to NYC. Competition is insane. This is a gigantic country full of more towns and cities than you'll ever be able to name, and I don't understand why people always limit themselves to the same old places: NYC, San Francisco, Boston. These are fantastic cities and great places to live, but if your priority is getting to America, I would say, cast your net wide. You can always move later on. Of course, if you meant NY state and have your own reasons for doing so, I suppose you can ignore this.

Second thing is the issue of your kids. Have you talked to them about this? What are their thoughts? My sister has a 13-year-old and she's always telling him that they're moving to South Africa, or Canada, or Sweden, or America, because she's desperate for a fresh start and comes up with one place after another. It's depressing to see this rollercoaster of elation and disappointment that my poor nephew has to experience. I hope you are talking about this with your kids in a sensible way.

Third thing is whether you have any experience living abroad before now. Speaking from my own experience, it was a gigantic culture shock, and I did it on my own at 21 when I was brazen and invincible. Took me years to adjust, and there were many times I thought about leaving. Consider how you'll adjust, and how you'll help your children adjust. Consider how isolated you might feel, and how you plan to replace the support network you have now: friends, family, any local professionals who make your life easier (maybe a good doctor, or a good boss, or a good counsellor).

It is possible, and people do succeed and make happy transitions over here. But I think it depends a lot on whether you're a good match for your destination, how well you handle change and adversity, and what your children want.
Hi, As iv'e said, I know this, when i said NewYork, I was infact talking about the state and not the city, although it would be nice, it would be way to costly. Yes for your information i HAVE talked to my kids, and as iv'e said three of four times now they ARE on-board. I don't know if you have read the whole thread, but everything you just explained I have been over and thought of. I have been looking into this for about a year now, and have covered all of this. As i said before, Im sorry it isn't clear, but I cannot post every little detail on here. The reason the company isn't showing on google, is because due to my first error, It actually "tsys managed services". To Pulaski I was aware my company was international and the head based in the US however I didn't know exactly which state the head office was.

No thankfully Im not sitting in a corner rocking back and fourth! X)

Last edited by FlashBeliever; Oct 31st 2013 at 7:20 am.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 7:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You can't park facing on coming traffic side of the road. It's common in a lot of places though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.