Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A Fresh Start in the US.

Wikiposts

A Fresh Start in the US.

Old Oct 30th 2013, 7:01 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Fresh Start in the US.

Originally Posted by FlashBeliever
.... How do I apply? I have sent my CV with a covering letter to numerous job applications and heard nothing back. .....
Honestly IMHO, you won't. I had a marriage visa giving me the right to live and work in the US, and career experience that would, and eventually did get me multiple job offers in the US, and I had a recruiter shopping my resumé around potential employers, but I received no interest from Employers in so much as a first interview until I arrived "feet on the ground" in the US, for a job-seeking exploratory visit. You have all the issues I had stacked against me, PLUS you have no visa rights whatsoever. If you're going to make it happen your only realistic shot is a transfer with your employer, and I would recommend almost anywhere other than NYC would be better target.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 30th 2013 at 8:08 am.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Be aware you will need documentation, possibly from a court, saying you have the right to remove your kids from the country. What if your ex says no to that?
At this point, it really couldn't be presented as a better life for the kids.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

You may not be hearing back from US employers because your skills are not in demand and not rare while there are many, many unemployed citizens who can walk into the job without a visa.

But on the question of an internal transfer, which is probably your only hope. Why don't you ask? You're in a better position than anyone here to do so.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 7:04 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Be aware you will need documentation, possibly from a court, saying you have the right to remove your kids from the country. What if your ex says no to that?
+1. That is a potential deal breaker. Until you get a satisfactory answer to that question, all the other research you're doing may be a complete waste of time, yours and ours!
Old Oct 30th 2013, 7:16 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, Im new here, and as you've guessed from the title, I am looking to have a fresh start in the US. I'm currently in the UK as a single mother with two kids (16 and 13).
And you wish to move to the US? With limited to no safety net in many states? Sorry, but unless there's some huge opportunity for you that i'm missing, I would stay in England. The grass is not always greener!
Old Oct 30th 2013, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

We moved over from London this year on a 2 year contract through my husband's company. He was approached by his boss in NY - we did not "ask" to be transferred, (but we were keen to go!). My hubby works in NYC and quite frankly the schools in the city are awful (unless you can afford private). Once you begin to move out of the city the schools improve significantly. However, you would need to allow at least an hour to commute and this would depend where you are commuting from and which part of NYC your office is located. My hubby leaves home at 7.20am and is home by 7.30pm - these could be the sort of hours you are out of the house for. Also, my daughter's school are off in the summer for 10 weeks, so this is something else to consider.

A point I would make is that if you are chasing the transfer you may well not get any help with relocation costs - if the company want you though, very often they will pay relocation expenses, which can be considerable.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 7:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The OP has a 16 yr old...has anyone mentioned the cost of college/uni fees yet?
Old Oct 30th 2013, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The OP has a 16 yr old...has anyone mentioned the cost of college/uni fees yet?
But often these days fees can be in the same ballpark in the UK, so ironically that plank of our argument had been mostly neutralized.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 8:04 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I apologize, I haven't been making myself clear. Im at the stage now where i need to know how I can actually make the move. For example, I know i would need to be sponsored by a US company for a visa, What I am unsure of is how I can get the attention of that company. How do I apply? I have sent my CV with a covering letter to numerous job applications for a while now and heard nothing back. As for the transfer, that is just another route as to how I can move.
If you're looking to transfer with your current company, you can request it. You don't have to wait for them to come to you. Being in an "Admin" type of position, though (HR), you might not be transferrable. I work in an Admin position with a worldwide engineering company here in the USA, and I've tried multiple times to get transferred overseas with the company, but their bottom line is that they don't transfer any admin type people. If I were already living in a foriegn country, and happened to walk into one of our offices over there, and say hey I live here now, can you hire me? The answer would probably be Yes, start tomorrow. But the company won't spend the money on a transfer for an Admin person. But of course your company might be different. You are allowed to ask for a transfer.

As for how to find a job with a new company in the USA...the same way you'd find a job anywhere else. Submit resumes, answer job opening ads, and most of all, NETWORK. Sometimes (most of the time?) networking is what gets you a job, not your qualifications. Also, it could be very difficult to find a US employer who wants to spend $$$ to sponsor you for a work visa when there are plenty of USC's here to do Amin type jobs. You would have to bring something VERY unique to the table, that a USC cannot.

Rene
Old Oct 30th 2013, 8:08 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

All this is moot without the consent of the childs father to remove them from the UK. If he refuses, you likely aren't going anywhere (at least with them in tow)

Last edited by civilservant; Oct 30th 2013 at 8:31 am.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
All this is mute without the father of the child's consent to remove them from the UK. If he refuses, you likely aren't going anywhere (at least with them in tow)
What is the age limit? Not that I actually think this is a good idea as it stands.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 8:13 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

It's also likely that the US offices of the company hire administrators through an agency, so locally sourced admins would not be hard to come by, thus rendering a transfer too costly to consider.

You may luck out or you may be eligible for a different position, but it is something to be aware of that there may be no actual visa option for you here.

Europe, however (or at least the EU) is more of an option, should you desire. Even a different part of the UK, or Ireland could give you the fresh start without the worry of repatriation, especially with children. Yes, I know Ireland is technically foreign but culturally, it would be little or no adjustment.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 8:14 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
At this point, it really couldn't be presented as a better life for the kids.
Attached Thumbnails A Fresh Start in the US.-goenglish_com_outofthefryingpanandintothefire.gif  
Old Oct 30th 2013, 9:02 am
Just Joined

FlashBeliever has much to be proud ofFlashBeliever has much to be proud ofFlashBeliever has much to be proud ofFlashBeliever has much to be proud ofFlashBeliever has much to be proud ofFlashBeliever has much to be proud ofFlashBeliever has much to be proud ofFlashBeliever has much to be proud ofFlashBeliever has much to be proud ofFlashBeliever has much to be proud ofFlashBeliever has much to be proud of

I appricate the answers, but as i said, Im new. I didn't need to be slated ^ there's no need.

Thank you to most, and espesially Noorah for the advice
Old Oct 30th 2013, 9:20 am

I appricate the answers, but as i said, Im new. I didn't need to be slated ^ there's no need.

Thank you to most, and espesially Noorah for the advice
I don't think we were necessarily "slating" you, but we see the same questions frequently and we have all "walked the walk" or at least parts of it, so we see problems that newbies who come here may not even have thought of, or have severely underestimated the significance or impact of. It can mean we appear a little (too) brusque sometimes. But we all mean well and honestly don't want to see one of our countrymen leap with both feet out of the frying pan into a roaring fire.

I wish you well and the best of luck for whatever you decide. If you have further questions now, or in the future, you know where to come.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.