Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A Fresh Start?

A Fresh Start?

Old Oct 20th 2020, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Fresh Start?

Originally Posted by TheAdamElliott
Do you all have degrees or does it vary?
It varies, but in my own case I did have a degree in a relevant technical field.

This made me eligible for a Blanket L-1, which meant I was able to obtain my visa and move to the US within only a few weeks of my employer agreeing to relocate me.

Old Oct 20th 2020, 6:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both for your responses. I have 7 years experience in the corporate industry, so maybe if I can get to management level in my field that could help my career going forward. ....
As I said above, in many industry sectors in the US you will likely find yourself excluded from management positions if you don't have a degree - in white collar jobs, degrees are fairly ubiquitous in the US.
....My area of work is Lloyd's Insurance in the City of London, not sure if that will stand out.

Is each state different with regards to what they are looking for in an employee? .....
Lloyd's is considered to be a legally questionable organization by the US - IIRC Lloyd's isn't legally able to operate in the US other than through another broker, so it might stand out, but not in the way you might expect. Joking aside, I don't know enough about US insurance to know how transferable your skills and experience would be.
.... Also, how did you all manage to move over to the US. Do you all have degrees or does it vary?
Like CivilServant said, my wife is a USC. I also have a degree, and had transferable experience and skills too, which made finding a good career job fairly easy, but others often face a dramatic change in career when they come to the US because they are married to a US citizen, and are unable to find work in the same sector they worked in the UK, and/or because their qualifications are not recognized in the US. And almost everyone who has a non-US qualification or "license" (US speak) for their occupation has to requalify in the US, whether they are a truck driver, plumber, lawyer, or surgeon, their British qualification is largely worthless in the US.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 20th 2020 at 6:48 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2020, 8:11 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both for your responses. I have 7 years experience in the corporate industry, so maybe if I can get to management level in my field that could help my career going forward.

My area of work is Lloyd's Insurance in the City of London, not sure if that will stand out.

Is each state different with regards to what they are looking for in an employee?
Also, how did you all manage to move over to the US. Do you all have degrees or does it vary?
Covid-19 aside...

I decided to move here at age 21, I already had an UG degree at that point. It took me about 10 more years to get the experience and contacts I needed to transfer here on an L1a and I had also done a post graduate degree in that time.

While not required for an L1a visa, as others have noted many jobs (in finance at least) require a degree to even have your resume looked at over here. At the places I have worked everyone from the person on the reception desk and “up” had at least an UG degree.

Is it doable with hard work, yes, will it happen quickly? For some people in niche areas maybe, but plan for a long slog (and be happy if it happens sooner). The L1a is used by both large multinationals (usually blanket) and also by some smaller startups opening a new office and everything between.

Even if you get in to the right company you will benefit from having a network of people over here, which generally means coming over a few times a year to meet people, that may be dir business trips or on your own dime if not.

https://www.uscis.gov/working-in-the...ive-or-manager

Old Oct 21st 2020, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

I think you probably have two things to focus on - Degree (will help if you wish to move sooner rather than later) and guiding your career towards USA located companies, which will help both short and long term. I made "moves" to thinking about emigrating in 2012 - it was one of two reasons I took a backwards/sideways step to the company I now work for. In 2015 I decided I fancied taking a shot at moving and I was here by September 2016 after the company agreed to Sponsor my transfer on an L1A. I don't have a degree, I have a HND, which is closer to an Associate Degree in the USA. I did have 10+ years in Management level roles by the time I took the plunge though. So while my move was quick once I had decided I wanted to make it, the long game had been played in the background.

If you work on a dual path of a degree and gaining experience in a company with a route, or in a role that can get you into a company with a route, then you'll be in a good place within 5 years.

The other option would be to try and get over on a student Visa - there are some paths to staying (tricky), but you can use it as a trial. If you like it and there is no quick path, you now have a degree and know if you want to come back. You can then get the work experience quickly in a USA subsidiary in the UK, and even be open and honest about your desire to be USA based through recruitment if you have the confidence and ability.
Old Oct 21st 2020, 2:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
.... The other option would be to try and get over on a student Visa - there are some paths to staying (tricky), but you can use it as a trial. ....
It could possibly lead you to other immigration options too.
Old Oct 21st 2020, 5:43 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It could possibly lead you to other immigration options too.
Indeed!
Old Oct 21st 2020, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot
It varies, but in my own case I did have a degree in a relevant technical field.

This made me eligible for a Blanket L-1, which meant I was able to obtain my visa and move to the US within only a few weeks of my employer agreeing to relocate me.
Do you by chance drive a BMW? A couple of your posts make me think I've bumped in to you in Austin.

OP - Your easiest methods are come here and study on an F1, marry a USC, or managerial transfer with a company. It's that simple.
Old Oct 21st 2020, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by notaclue
..... Your easiest methods are come here and study on an F1, marry a USC, or managerial transfer with a company. It's that simple.
Simple? I can assure you that at least one of those creates massive, potentially life-long, complications.
Old Oct 21st 2020, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

TheAdamElliott is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robtuck
I think you probably have two things to focus on - Degree (will help if you wish to move sooner rather than later) and guiding your career towards USA located companies, which will help both short and long term. I made "moves" to thinking about emigrating in 2012 - it was one of two reasons I took a backwards/sideways step to the company I now work for. In 2015 I decided I fancied taking a shot at moving and I was here by September 2016 after the company agreed to Sponsor my transfer on an L1A. I don't have a degree, I have a HND, which is closer to an Associate Degree in the USA. I did have 10+ years in Management level roles by the time I took the plunge though. So while my move was quick once I had decided I wanted to make it, the long game had been played in the background.

If you work on a dual path of a degree and gaining experience in a company with a route, or in a role that can get you into a company with a route, then you'll be in a good place within 5 years.

The other option would be to try and get over on a student Visa - there are some paths to staying (tricky), but you can use it as a trial. If you like it and there is no quick path, you now have a degree and know if you want to come back. You can then get the work experience quickly in a USA subsidiary in the UK, and even be open and honest about your desire to be USA based through recruitment if you have the confidence and ability.
Thank you all for the advice. Of course current circumstances makes things even more complicated. However, it gives me a good idea if a permanent move is possible and what I can do to at least try and make things possible.
Old Oct 22nd 2020, 1:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for the advice. Of course current circumstances makes things even more complicated. However, it gives me a good idea if a permanent move is possible and what I can do to at least try and make things possible.
I worked in the London Market for more years than I care to remember and the Companies I worked for had US representation. I dealt with US based clients.

Colleagues certainly spent time in the US, but I can not recollect any being moved to the US permanently. I also obtained my State Qualifications when I moved here but never practiced. It would have to be a very specific situation where it would make sense to move someone from the UK to the US, I never came across it, seems logical it must happen.

Do I take it that you have not started the UK qualifications, CII, IRM etc?
Old Oct 26th 2020, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

EdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond reputeEdgeAA has a reputation beyond repute

I work in insurance and worked in the UK before moving to the US. I had ACII qualification in the UK although I'm not sure how much that factored into getting the role here (not much I don't think). I'm married to a US citizen so that is how I got my job here but the company I worked for in the UK had offices in the US and still wouldn't even consider sending me there even though I didn't need a visa. Most insurance jobs here require a degree as well unless you have substantial industry experience. I'd say it will be pretty difficult to move here on a work visa for an insurance job unless you are very high up in the company - I'm thinking director or VP of a department like IT, Underwriting, Actuarial etc. at the very least.