Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fresh and Easy

Fresh and Easy

Old Jan 31st 2007, 11:14 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fresh and Easy

Ahh.. the Macdonalisation of Society... Sociology was always my favourite subject at Uni..
Old Jan 31st 2007, 11:15 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ransi
Shirley Valentine

(Pauline Collins)
Fanks muchly. Came back to me when I was peeling the taters earlier.

Love that movie
Old Jan 31st 2007, 11:47 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ransi
Shirley Valentine

(Pauline Collins)
That was a great film.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 1:32 pm

Scarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I'd like to see some valid evidence produced to prove this (idiotic )statement.
It's not idiotic. Many words and phrases in the first book were changed for the US market--for changed read simplified. Before we moved here, hubby used to read his US version to my girls over the net. We were following in our (UK) book. The changes were frequent and almost all of them were about taking a not very difficult word or phrase and making it much simpler. I found it all rather worrying!

Regards
-=-
Scarlett
Old Feb 1st 2007, 1:37 pm

Scarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond reputeScarlett-Dallas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Did you miss out what I said about the HP books becoming less and less "Americanised" over time? The most recent book has little more than the usual spelling changes (colour/color). Even esoterica like chipolatas stay in, and HP fans take pleasure in learning about them -- after all, if you are interested in learning the ins and outs of a fictional world, it's no great leap to learn about a "real" one.
I think it was safe to change less later on when Rowling had gathered such a fan base. It wasn't safe--apparently--in the early days.

Also, it's a sad fact of publishing that when an author is new and untried, their books are edited heavily, usually with good results. As they get more of a name, they get more control over the editing process. The result is often sloppier later books that are much longer--much less edited. Think about some of the major authors you know, and ask yourself whether quality has suffered and the pagination increased over time. Isn't true in every case but holds true for many. A divergent point, but an interesting one.

Regards
-=-
Scarlett
Old Feb 1st 2007, 2:24 pm
Banned

Reverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of lightReverend is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Scarlett-Dallas
I think it was safe to change less later on when Rowling had gathered such a fan base. It wasn't safe--apparently--in the early days.

Also, it's a sad fact of publishing that when an author is new and untried, their books are edited heavily, usually with good results. As they get more of a name, they get more control over the editing process. The result is often sloppier later books that are much longer--much less edited. Think about some of the major authors you know, and ask yourself whether quality has suffered and the pagination increased over time. Isn't true in every case but holds true for many. A divergent point, but an interesting one.

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Stephen King would be a great example of this...I swear I'm the only person in the world who thinks this self important, pretentious rambler is seriously overrated.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny

And that's the only title that has been changed.
Lots of examples, not just Harry Potter. Bill Bryson's books have different titles - Down Under became something else, perhaps because Australia isn't Down Under relative to the USA, but others have different titles too (oddly he's not really popular here, at least no-one I have spoken to reads his books). I recently read a Ken Follett novel set in Scotland. The book was littered with Americanisms which you'd never hear in the Highlands; it does spoil the atmosphere a little.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 3:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsnichol
Lots of examples, not just Harry Potter. Bill Bryson's books have different titles - Down Under became something else, perhaps because Australia isn't Down Under relative to the USA, but others have different titles too (oddly he's not really popular here, at least no-one I have spoken to reads his books). I recently read a Ken Follett novel set in Scotland. The book was littered with Americanisms which you'd never hear in the Highlands; it does spoil the atmosphere a little.
The name of the book I have by BB is In a Sunburnt Country.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The name of the book I have by BB is In a Sunburnt Country.
That would be Down Under... Notes from a Big Country is (I think) called I'm a Stranger Here Myself. etc etc etc
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

They also had the name of the James Bond movie "Licence Revoked" changed to "Licensed To Kill" as the market research showed that many Americans didn't understand the word "Revoked"....
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

The Philip Pullman book "Northern Lights" is called "the Golden Compass" over here -- presumably the movie will be too.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 4:12 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Vern
The Philip Pullman book "Northern Lights" is called "the Golden Compass" over here -- presumably the movie will be too.
Let me guess!

It's because we can't understand the concept of "North"!

What do I win?
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 4:16 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reverend
Stephen King would be a great example of this...I swear I'm the only person in the world who thinks this self important, pretentious rambler is seriously overrated.
No I think he's shit too.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 8:52 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Vern
research showed that many Americans didn't understand the word "Revoked"....
Aw, come on.....I find this very hard to believe! Lots of us stoooopid Americans have probably seen the words "license revoked" on our court papers!

~SecretGarden
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 9:00 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Aw, come on.....I find this very hard to believe! Lots of us stoooopid Americans have probably seen the words "license revoked" on our court papers!

~SecretGarden
wots a lichense m8 ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.