Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Frequent visitor to US, now pregnant!

Frequent visitor to US, now pregnant!

Old Oct 24th 2002, 12:53 am
SSJ
Forum Regular

SSJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Frequent visitor to US, now pregnant!

Good Day! I’m a Canadian citizen who’s been visiting my USC boyfriend every 2, 3 months for 2 years. Never had any problem at US/Canada border crossing. Each time I told them I was visiting my boyfriend, and I never stayed longer than I said I would.

Now I’ll go see him for the 5th time this year for 10 days during Thanksgiving. I’ll be 5 1/2 month pregnant. I have no intention to stay in US, since I have a wonderful job and full medical benefit to return to. I’m putting together some documents to increase my chance to get thru the custom: employment letter proving I’ve been working full time for same company for 5+ years; letter from my physician stating it’s safe for me to travel; bank statements to show my assets; Extra travel/medical insurance for this trip; and of course my Canadian passport. Is there anything else that I might need? Or is it likely they’ll turn me down no matter what? Thank you!
Old Oct 24th 2002, 5:54 pm
Shannon

Hrmm, you don't need to tell the INS officer you are pregnant. I would wear a baggy sweater.

If the issue comes up I would take along the info you mentioned and have your explanation in mind.

If you don't mind me asking, are you planning to remain in seperate nations after the baby is born? I guess if I was an INS officer I would wonder what you plans are, and would assume they include being together. You could allay those by giving an alternative.

I entered the US when I was 3 months pregnant, but I barely showed at all so it wasn't really an issue.

Shannon

Old Oct 24th 2002, 9:19 pm
SSJ
Forum Regular

SSJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Shannon
Hrmm, you don't need to tell the INS officer you are pregnant. I would wear a baggy sweater.

If the issue comes up I would take along the info you mentioned and have your explanation in mind.

If you don't mind me asking, are you planning to remain in seperate nations after the baby is born? I guess if I was an INS officer I would wonder what you plans are, and would assume they include being together. You could allay those by giving an alternative.

I entered the US when I was 3 months pregnant, but I barely showed at all so it wasn't really an issue.

Shannon
Thank you Shannon for the tip! We do have to stay apart for a while longer. I plan to go on this short US Thanksgiving trip, then come back to work in Canada till at lease Christmas (so to qualify for 1 year maternity leave while getting paid Employment Insurance, and to keep the job just in case). I’ll then give birth at end of February, then move to US in April or May for good. My boyfriend will probably start up the fiancée/Spouse paperwork during Thanksgiving.