Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Frequent fliers...

Wikiposts

Frequent fliers...

Old Oct 3rd 2010, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frequent fliers...

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I'm pretty heavily into BA (about 500k miles) but I'm not flying them regularly enough to maintain my status at present (I'm in Asia for a few years). When I am doing to the Atlantic routes I often will supplement my tier point requirements with AA domestic First Class flights (Y-Class Upgrades) that counted for tier points with BA. I could do a cross country hop (IAD-DFW-LAS-LAX-DFW-IAD) and get a ton of segments necessary to keep at least Silver status for another year.

http://flyertalk.com is a great resource for "mileage runs" and other advice on how to get the best out of the mileage programs.
I just received this notice from BA. regarding new silver status benefits and their new partnership with American Airlines. Looks pretty good, although I personally don't fly within the US too much.......

At British Airways, we are committed to finding ways of improving the Executive Club. So we are delighted to announce a wide range of new benefits that we hope will make your Silver membership more rewarding than ever.

Quadruple BA Miles

To start with, we're increasing your Silver Tier mileage bonuses. Instead of 25%, you will now receive a bonus equal to 100% of the mileage flown. For example, while your recent trip earned you 8038 BA Miles including the bonus, the next time it will be worth 12058.

We've also increased the BA Miles you'll earn flying Discount Economy. Quadrupled them, to be precise. So again, you will now earn 100% of the mileage flown. You will also earn double the Tier Points when flying on a Discount Economy fare.

And it gets better.

More BA Miles with our partners

oneworld® has gotten better for Executive Club members thanks to our transatlantic joint business with American Airlines and Iberia.

It means you can now fly transatlantic with American Airlines and either earn or redeem BA Miles. And wherever you fly with American Airlines, anywhere in their network, you'll now earn 100% of the mileage flown in Discount Economy, just as if you were flying with us.

Not only will you earn faster reward travel to over 600 British Airways and partner destinations worldwide, you'll also benefit from our new coordinated flight schedules, adjusted to fit in with yours.

And finally, if you book with British Airways, you can use your BA Miles to upgrade from full fares on either American Airlines or Iberia.

We say 'finally', but rest assured our commitment to making the Executive Club better is ongoing.

In the meantime, we hope you'll have an opportunity to enjoy some of these exciting new rewards and benefits very soon.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 3:42 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
oneworld® has gotten better for Executive Club members thanks to our transatlantic joint business with American Airlines and Iberia.
You just know that was written in one of their "joint business" partners !!
Old Oct 4th 2010, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

American Airlines - Joined in March of 1989 and last 3 years I've been Executive Platinum (>100K miles per year). Admirals Club Membership.

Lifetime miles 2,324,486 and over 400K miles "in the bank". Lifetime Advantage Platinum at 2MM. Already are 56K miles this year and in denger of dropping to Platinum (oh no!).

I have flown over 100 trips across the pond, 15 trans-pac's and 5 south american trips. All the miles are flown miles, not credit card or other gray miles! Also my current company only pays cheapest coach, so a lot of those miles are in the back of the bus (of course EXP does get you 8 SWU's).

- Tim
Old Oct 4th 2010, 7:04 am
IPM
Forum Regular

IPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to all

IMO, Virgin Upper Class is by far a superior product to Club World on transatlantic routes. I still maintain tier status with BA as its useful for AA, but otherwise its Emirates or Sing if going anywhere else
Old Oct 4th 2010, 7:38 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Frequent fliers...

Originally Posted by TimFountain

(of course EXP does get you 8 SWU's).

- Tim
What does that mean in plain English?

Ex-platinum does get you 8 ??Upgrades...?
Old Oct 4th 2010, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

digbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to all

SWU means system wide upgrades which are given to top tier flyers

A very nice perk especially if you fly long haul. I just received 4 SWU from Continental which makes my 15 hour non stop flights to Hong Kong from Newark very comfortable at a cheap price

For the record I am BA Gold and CO Platinum which means I spend way too much time in the sky.....
Old Oct 4th 2010, 7:59 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Frequent fliers...

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Singapore are consistently the best airline I have ever flown - haven't been on them for about 5 years, but will be going back to Singapore next year and they will be top of the list. Back in the 90's you used to be able to qualify for lifetime Solitaire status at the completion of 5 consecutive years of PPS....I missed it by about 6 months when they axed the scheme

Back then, they used to regularly give us upgrades as well....I used to travel a lot (30-50,000 a month) and company policy was anything over 3 hours was business. I remember sitting there in the departure lounge with the CEO on the short hop back from Saigon to Singapore (<3 hours, hence economy) and my name got called. I knew what was coming, so ignored it for a while, then they came and hunted me down. It was a full flight and they insisted on upgrading me despite my requests to give it to someone else....anyone else....even my CEO...but no, the name on the boarding pass has to be the bum on the seat and they'd already reassigned me so I got to travel in the front with my boss in the back. It was a really quiet ride back to the office from the airport......

Are you moving back to Singapore or just visiting?

Yeah, the same thing with Solitaire happened to my spouse too....he's currently PPS Krisflyer but it doesn't get him much in the way of benefits (ok...there is a special PPS only lounge at Changi airport) but he never gets an upgrade...although he did last week on Swiss on their short hop between Zurich and London - and he almost never flies Swiss..

There is a lot of discontent with Singapore Airlines FF's on the ExpatSingapore and by some posters on the Flyertalk SQ boards....it seems that service quality is declining and the airline isn't providing superior quality compared to the competition charging much lower prices (especially the Middle Eastern carriers):

http://www.expatsingapore.com/forum/...c,64536.0.html
Old Oct 4th 2010, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by digbydog
SWU means system wide upgrades which are given to top tier flyers

A very nice perk especially if you fly long haul. I just received 4 SWU from Continental which makes my 15 hour non stop flights to Hong Kong from Newark very comfortable at a cheap price

For the record I am BA Gold and CO Platinum which means I spend way too much time in the sky.....
Aha! I remember you now....you managed to rent a property in Millburn via a link I'd sent to you ...

(I can't afford the non-stop EWR-SIN business class aircraft only fares as paying out of own pocket and have to schlep to JFK....)
Old Oct 4th 2010, 8:04 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Are you moving back to Singapore or just visiting?

Yeah, the same thing with Solitaire happened to my spouse too....he's currently PPS Krisflyer but it doesn't get him much in the way of benefits (ok...there is a special PPS only lounge at Changi airport) but he never gets an upgrade...although he did last week on Swiss on their short hop between Zurich and London - and he almost never flies Swiss..

There is a lot of discontent with Singapore Airlines FF's on the ExpatSingapore and by some posters on the Flyertalk SQ boards....it seems that service quality is declining and the airline isn't providing superior quality compared to the competition charging much lower prices (especially the Middle Eastern carriers):

http://www.expatsingapore.com/forum/...c,64536.0.html
Thats a shame (about the service) - they always used to be awesome, but like I say, I haven't flown them for 5 years or so.

We're just going to visit next year. My eldest son was born there, and we left when he was 18 months old so he has no memories whatsoever. We always said we would take him back when he would be old enough for it to mean something - he hits 10 next year, so we decided to do it then. We're going to take advantage of the long summer here, and do a SEAsia tour of a few of the old haunts...rather looking forward to it!! I haven't been back since '05 and it had changed a lot then, so I'm not really expecting to recognise it when we get there!!
Old Oct 4th 2010, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
They have an airport up there in WI?

How's that gig going anyway.. will have to find your report..somewhere!

They do! There's one gift shop that sells ... wait for it ...

CHEESE! (and Packers gear)

Gig was able to be completed routinely and is done now. I just have one schmoozing trip left ... I can handle chatting with client and eating Italian food.