Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Frequent Flier Miles UA & AA

Frequent Flier Miles UA & AA

Old Feb 16th 2007, 3:25 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Frequent Flier Miles UA & AA

I'm looking to start building my frequent flyer miles with American Airlines (AAdvantage Miles) and I realised I have 3,000 United Mileage Plus miles to swap.
Can anyone oblige?

My wife lost her job with UA when they eliminated her office and outsourced to India & the Philipines, so I'd rather not use 'em again. By Gawd, the flight benefits were great while they lasted mind you
Business & First from ORD-LHR nearly every time I flew home for (relative) pennies. Ah, those were the days.

Cheers.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 6:43 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frequent Flier Miles UA & AA

Have you considered BA miles instead? AA and BA are both on the same alliance, and if you take advantage of AA's YUP fares for First Class, you can get tier status on BA pretty quickly.

I guess it depends on what you want to use your miles for. If for upgrading (best use) and you plan on primarily flying in the US, then AA would probably be better. But if you have a lot of long hauls to the UK each year you might want something else.

I keep my primary miles with BA though I fly AA, Cathay and BA for most of my flights.

http://www.flyertalk.com/ has a great rundown of all the mile programs.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Have you considered BA miles instead? AA and BA are both on the same alliance, and if you take advantage of AA's YUP fares for First Class, you can get tier status on BA pretty quickly.

I guess it depends on what you want to use your miles for. If for upgrading (best use) and you plan on primarily flying in the US, then AA would probably be better. But if you have a lot of long hauls to the UK each year you might want something else.

I keep my primary miles with BA though I fly AA, Cathay and BA for most of my flights.

http://www.flyertalk.com/ has a great rundown of all the mile programs.
worth bearing in mind that you dont get BA miles on AA transatlantic as they are in competition on some routes! Also I think AA miles only go towards your miles balance not your tier - but this could have changed!!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 8:40 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

AA transatlantic doesn't count to BA. That's correct. But AA domestic (USA) does count toward tier points, depending on the class of service.

Since AA has a First Class ticket called YUP (a restricted first class, but generally less than full-fare coach) you can get first class level tier points that can really speed up the BA status process.