British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Freight / Mail service that can collect small items in England and ship to US? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/freight-mail-service-can-collect-small-items-england-ship-us-774411/)

Boomhauer Oct 12th 2012 9:32 am

Freight / Mail service that can collect small items in England and ship to US?

Hand held power tools, like: circular saws, grinders, jigsaw etc...
What freight/mail shipper has the best rates and service?

Items in question will be from Ebay UK sellers who do not want to ship international and in some cases do not want to ship at all, even within the UK. So Mail/Freight service will have to go collect at seller's house then ship it to me in the US.

Items usually under 5 Kilos.
Dimensions about 1.5 feet by 1 feet by 1 feet approximate.

Anyone know how much above item will cost?

Out of the big 3 FedEx,UPS,DHL, who would you go with?

civilservant Oct 12th 2012 11:47 am

Re: Freight / Mail service that can collect small items in England and ship to US?

I have had a good experience with FedEx. Try Fast Lane International, they use FedEx but don't charge as much because of the number of packages they send with them. I shipped over £1000 of items with them recently. CityLink collected, sent package to fast lane, they used FedEx, was in the US and delivered in five days. £85.

Bob Oct 12th 2012 12:50 pm

Re: Freight / Mail service that can collect small items in England and ship to US?

They're all much of muchness.

Not much DHL options in the US though, so might be slower on this end.

Do you really want to be using UK power tools in the US though? Wouldn't it be better to buy stuff over here than worry about the motors naffing out on them etc.

TimNiceBut Oct 12th 2012 1:40 pm

Not to mention the hassle of running 240V power tools on 120V if they are mains powered.

Boomhauer Oct 12th 2012 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 10327166)
I have had a good experience with FedEx. Try Fast Lane International, they use FedEx but don't charge as much because of the number of packages they send with them. I shipped over £1000 of items with them recently. CityLink collected, sent package to fast lane, they used FedEx, was in the US and delivered in five days. £85.

Is FastLane a 1 stop mail service? Do I have to contact CityLink or will Fastlane do everything, with me just telling them the address to collect the item at?

It was £85 total for all the items you recently sent? May I ask how heavy the stuff was?

---

Re. Voltage.
This is 110 volt stuff that is meant for the UK market, cause builders who work outside prefer the inherent safety of 110 v.

civilservant Oct 12th 2012 1:55 pm

Fast lane arrange everything. You simply enter collection and delivery address.

My package was 25Kg, £85 was the total cost.

Bob Oct 12th 2012 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10327367)
Re. Voltage.
This is 110 volt stuff that is meant for the UK market, cause builders who work outside prefer the inherent safety of 110 v.

50 or 60Hz though?

Boomhauer Oct 12th 2012 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 10327372)
Fast lane arrange everything. You simply enter collection and delivery address.

My package was 25Kg, £85 was the total cost.

Thanks for the quick response.
Would Fastlane also package the item? Packaging is nothing special, just toss into a thick cardboard box and fill with peanuts or bubblewrap.

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10327615)
50 or 60Hz though?

That I don't know. I don't know if the big name tool manufacturers make a 110V 50Hz model for the UK or just sell their US version tools. I looked at the Ebay add and the Manufacturer's wesbite and the Hz is not mentioned.

Will be an issue if 50Hz; would still be able to run it but tool will run a bit slower.

civilservant Oct 12th 2012 5:07 pm

I dont know, but I doubt it - I packaged all items.