British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   freelance writing while on visitors visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/freelance-writing-while-visitors-visa-110302/)

bigbird Aug 8th 2002 4:42 pm

freelance writing while on visitors visa

Sorry to repeat this request... Anyone know about this?
1. Can I do research for a magazine article while in the US on a visitors visa (B2)...write it here in US and submit it to US journals, giving them my UK social security number and asking for payment to be sent to the UK?
2. And will this cause any problems? eg. will the magazine send a form to the US tax office saying a payment was sent to the UK, and could this be queried for any reason?
3. Would it be better if I wrote it when I returned to UK and mailed it to US journals?

many many thanks bigbird

L D Jones Aug 8th 2002 5:41 pm

Re: freelance writing while on visitors visa

bigbird wrote:
    > Sorry to repeat this request... Anyone know about this?
    > 1. Can I do research for a magazine article while in the US on a visitors visa
    > (B2)...write it here in US and submit it to US journals, giving them my UK
    > social security number and asking for payment to be sent to the UK?

If you mean a UK National Insurance number then no US company or orgranization is
going to have any idea what to do with it. You cannot do paid work in the US on a B-2

Stuart Brook Aug 8th 2002 6:05 pm

bigbird wrote:
    > 1. Can I do research for a magazine article while in the US on a visitors visa

No ... there are two things wrong ...

First, the "work" appears to require that the research be done in the USA and second,
submitting the work to US journals. You *could* send articles to foreign journals if
the research was not based on the USA.

> 2. And will this cause any problems? eg. will the magazine send a form to the US
    > tax office saying a payment was sent to the UK, and could this be queried for
    > any reason?

It will create a paper trail that the INS could pick up on if they had reason to
suspect you.

> 3. Would it be better if I wrote it when I returned to UK and mailed it to US
    > journals?

That's exactly what you have to do ... but even doing "research" on a B2 can be kind
of "iffy". If you come to the US with stuff that makes it look like you're going to
work (vis conduct research) you could end up on the next plane home.

Stuart

Jjoe Aug 8th 2002 8:12 pm

Hi bigbird,

You can not actively pursue employment: find a journal, get a contract, write a paper
and get paid.

By all means you can do any writing and any research on your own, as long as you are
not contractually obligated by US company to do the research. After you're done with
your research you may publish your findings in any (including US) scientific
journals; and if someone is willing to pay for your ideas that is fine too. As long
as you are not employed and do not seek employment you are fine. Just make sure you
have all the copyrights...

Good luck and do not stop writing and creating! joe

"bigbird" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > 2. And will this cause any problems? eg. will the magazine send a form to the US
    > tax office saying a payment was sent to the UK, and could this be queried for
    > any reason?
    > 3. Would it be better if I wrote it when I returned to UK and mailed it to US
    > journals?
    > many many thanks bigbird
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com