Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Old Jul 13th 2016, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Originally Posted by Bob
There's a few of them around....though AAA do nice, free ones. Around here at least...handy, with the roads changing a fair bit and with poor gps reception in downtown areas and out west.

Same for Maine, too....especially for mountain trail roads.
Yeah, realized that over the holiday weekend. Driving out to Greer AZ which is in the middle of nowhere. Find my cell had zero coverage, my wife's had half a bar and we had never worked out how to program the car GPS (it really has the worst interface ever).

Even in the nearby "towns" I had no coverage. I think this is a reason Cricket (and the other budget carriers) is so cheap, it doesn't roam on other carriers' towers.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 4:36 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

How about the I-10 for the way back, albeit it's a big long straight road, you could take off-shoots to see anything worth seeing.

Let us know what route you will be taking and we can chime in or at least stand by the road and wave a British flag.

We are south of Houston if you are passing our way in Pearland.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 5:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Colin Robinson
You even LOOK like Jeremy Clarkson! Tee hee!
6' 5", and curly hair, yup some significant similarities.

He has a few years on me, and is a bit more jowly, but his home town is only about 30 miles from mine (both in south Yorkshire). We also both lived in Wandsworth at the same time, ... though I have never met him.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Thanks for the update. ..... But you can still get paper maps? The last time I looked for a road atlas was four years ago, and couldn't find anything more recent than copyright 2006.
They are getting harder to find. Mine is a 2015 spiral bound Rand McNally I got at Walmart. When we took Colin there they were out and had to go to the local bookstore. I would hate to try and travel a long distance without one unless I was only on the interstates.

Colin
Check out the major truck stops like we discussed as they are a safe place to park overnite and have showers available for a very small fee. You will find them only on the interstates.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

Colin Robinson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
There weren't too many bowlers throwing the ball one hundred miles per hour when I used to play rounders ....
True - but most children under 11 couldn't hit one thrown that fast - and they're the only ones that play....?
Old Jul 14th 2016, 2:02 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

True - but most children under 11 couldn't hit one thrown that fast - and they're the only ones that play....?
Not too many rounders players play with a giant lightshade type device strapped to their hand, making catching the ball a mere formality.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

Colin Robinson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
How about the I-10 for the way back, albeit it's a big long straight road, you could take off-shoots to see anything worth seeing.

Let us know what route you will be taking and we can chime in or at least stand by the road and wave a British flag.

We are south of Houston if you are passing our way in Pearland.
As I have found this GREAT place to stay, I'm taking it easy for a few days and having a look at my route to save me trying to look at maps and programme my Satnav, whilst not knocking over the FREE refills of coffee they give at McDonalds _ WHO KNEW they gave free refills???

So far, I am "In" Tuscon, having made it "to Los Angeles" and decided I am going to follow the coast route back, until it is rudely interrupted by Mexico! I was then planning a more "central" journey but am now thinking about staying almost as far south as I can?

I will let you know my route when it is re-planned and I think I'm going to be south of Houston, so look forward to seeing a British flag - if I can still recognise one because, of course, it is illegal (well, not "PC") to fly one in England anymore!
Old Jul 14th 2016, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Yeah, realized that over the holiday weekend. Driving out to Greer AZ which is in the middle of nowhere. Find my cell had zero coverage, my wife's had half a bar and we had never worked out how to program the car GPS (it really has the worst interface ever).

Even in the nearby "towns" I had no coverage. I think this is a reason Cricket (and the other budget carriers) is so cheap, it doesn't roam on other carriers' towers.
That's why I take my trusty UK flip phone along with me. It will roam onto any GSM network, I also take a small ham radio.

What car GPS do you have out of interest?
Old Jul 14th 2016, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the US. You have tried the biscuits now need to try grits if you get chance.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 2:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

As I have found this GREAT place to stay, I'm taking it easy for a few days and having a look at my route to save me trying to look at maps and programme my Satnav, whilst not knocking over the FREE refills of coffee they give at McDonalds _ WHO KNEW they gave free refills???

So far, I am "In" Tuscon, having made it "to Los Angeles" and decided I am going to follow the coast route back, until it is rudely interrupted by Mexico! I was then planning a more "central" journey but am now thinking about staying almost as far south as I can?

I will let you know my route when it is re-planned and I think I'm going to be south of Houston, so look forward to seeing a British flag - if I can still recognise one because, of course, it is illegal (well, not "PC") to fly one in England anymore!
If ChocolateBabz is waving a flag then so will we We live just down the highway from her, so let us know when you are on your way to the best part of Texas!
Old Jul 14th 2016, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Teckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
That's why I stop after 2
I like how you think!
Old Jul 14th 2016, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Teckelspass
I like how you think!
Is that the small or regular size ones
Old Jul 14th 2016, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

Teckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond reputeTeckelspass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Is that the small or regular size ones
I bet she means the regular ones....😜
Old Jul 14th 2016, 3:48 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OP
Final gripe - there are thousands (some) of web sites that tell you how to follow Route 66 from east to west, but I'm blowed if I can find one going the other way (which I intend to do) and before someone says it - NO - It's not a simple matter or reading the directions backwards!
Well....
Attached Thumbnails Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)-image.jpeg  
Old Jul 14th 2016, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
That's why I take my trusty UK flip phone along with me. It will roam onto any GSM network, I also take a small ham radio.

What car GPS do you have out of interest?
Subaru Outback 2013. If I pulled the cellophane off the manual and read it then it might make it easier to use.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.