Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Old Jun 9th 2016, 4:16 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Originally Posted by mrken30
Cinnabon is extremely sticky and too sweet.
I don't usually like sweet things... but cinnabon

They've got about a million calories, 2 bags of sugar and a tub of butter in each one and should start a heart attack just by looking at them. I'll buy one occasionally and really enjoy it, did you know you could ask for extra icing on top? Runny, sticky, cream cheese icing. I never indulged in "illegal" substances when younger just because I was convinced I would like it and become immediately addicted. I kind of feel the same way about cinnabon buns.......

Anyway, they are NOT sticky buns.........plain buns with normal icing please. Pink icing. thank you xx
Old Jun 9th 2016, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I don't usually like sweet things... but cinnabon

They've got about a million calories, 2 bags of sugar and a tub of butter in each one and should start a heart attack just by looking at them. I'll buy one occasionally and really enjoy it, did you know you could ask for extra icing on top? Runny, sticky, cream cheese icing. I never indulged in "illegal" substances when younger just because I was convinced I would like it and become immediately addicted. I kind of feel the same way about cinnabon buns.......

Anyway, they are NOT sticky buns.........plain buns with normal icing please. Pink icing. thank you xx
When I first moved here I asked for one without the icing and they gave me such strange looks
Old Jul 13th 2016, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

The OP Colin stopped by Sat and my wife and I took him to Lynchburg for Barbeque and gave him the tent and sleeping bag. We advised him that trying to travel the US, especially back roads using only a GPS with no paper maps was flying blind and we helped him locate a road atlas at a local bookstore. He left heading for Arkansas and then Texas.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:01 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
The OP Colin stopped by Sat and my wife and I took him to Lynchburg for Barbeque and gave him the tent and sleeping bag. We advised him that trying to travel the US, especially back roads using only a GPS with no paper maps was flying blind and we helped him locate a road atlas at a local bookstore. He left heading for Arkansas and then Texas.
Thanks for the update. ..... But you can still get paper maps? The last time I looked for a road atlas was four years ago, and couldn't find anything more recent than copyright 2006.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

Colin Robinson is an unknown quantity at this point

And a real pleasure it was meeting ddsrph and his lovely wife! I can't believe how kind they were to me, especially having discovered that it is not my imagination and I am, indeed, cursed! At any other time, any of the three shops they took me to would have had a selection of Road Atlas's, but because I wanted one.......! But they persevered and now, I wouldn't be without it, so my sincere thanks for that and for my first taste of "American BBQ" to both these lovely people. The tent is still to be put to use, but I am sure that will come in Colorado?

For any of my other respondents who may be interested, you will be pleased to know that I am "here" and currently find myself in Wichita, which until now, was simply a kind of "Lineman" (American Football Player?) Glen Campbell sang about?

I have reached this point from arriving in Orlando in the early hours of 6th. July and I feel like I have been driving ever since! As I expected, my major problem gas been with trying to find what I would call reasonably priced accommodation each night? Airbnb has been of some use and the Motel Coupon books I picked up from each state helped too (it seems Kansas doesn't do one???) but trying both chains and "Mom and Pop" outfits (some of which seemed REALLY run down!), the average price seems to be about $60 per night PLUS tax. Admittedly, this is for four people, so $15 each is a good price, but as I am on my won, by myself, $60 for a night, over 90 nights, is way too expensive for me! So far, one night in a school car-park and two in Walmart car parks, plus the odd motel and airbnb host and I still live!

MY main concern is that all I have seemed to do is drive? On motorways and off motorways? And people who have warned me about Texas being boring to drive through cannot seriously mean it is any worse than Kansas?? A "town" of population 23 and a mule, or Wichita so far and miles and miles and miles of dead straight road, bordered by green fields. The highlight of my drive through this state thus far has been the cars that have passed me on average once an hour going in the opposite direction! Oh, and one tractor!

So, I am not really into Museums, Zoos and general exhibitions and the like (and the SallyCorp Animation Factory tour is shut until Labour Day and I was NOT paying $25 to see how Budweiser is made but the Blue Ridge Parkway was fantastic - for the first 40 miles and then I went back on the motorway), and so I had my own objective. I wanted to seek out towns off the beaten track with a strong community spirit and a "Bobby-Joe-Ellen-Mary-Sue's" Diner, where the whole town eats and "Billy-Joe-Bob's" Bar where they all drink and join them! The plan was to ask around and "easily" find someone who has a spare room that they would consider renting me for a week or so and I could spend that time just getting to know people, which for me, is extremely enjoyable.

I have yet to find a town like that, much less a room, but I remain hopeful...?

I have a great room at a great price for the next few days and although Wichita doesn't exactly fit my bill, I could do with the rest from driving!

I have also now had a biscuit - no, not a Rich Tea or a Digestive but an American Biscuit, albeit from McDonalds. My verdict is they are nice enough, but, frankly, a bit tasteless? I bought myself a loaf of "French" bread (which had more sugar in it than 2l of Fat Coke!), a squirty bottle of Butter (GREAT idea!) and some "plain ham", which turned out to be smoked, so I threw the lot away in disgust and will stick with McD! Did you know, by the way, that you get free refills of Coffee from them? I didn't until yesterday! No one told me!!!

Driving is fun as there are no "M25's" I have come across yet although traffic does seem to get a little busier late afternoons? My two main problems with driving in America are that they keep changing the blessed speed limits and do their level best to hide the fact - I often turn onto a road and have to keep my eyes peeled for several miles before I spot a hidden sign telling me I have been speeding all that time! - and the fact that you are supposed to stop a LONG way before a red traffic light and not AT the light, which I am used to in the UK? WHY???? But to give credit where it's due, turning right by giving way even when the light is red is a GREAT idea!

So, those are my exploits to date - I just wish some of you would have warned me more forcibly before I booked everything that I would spend more on accommodation than flights, car hire, food, drink and petrol all put together! Oh, talking of which, my heart sand when I saw a sign in Orlando for petrol for $2.29 9/10 but when I filled up and found that was for a GALLON...... Brilliant!

Heading for Colorado next, then Utah, Arizona, Nevada and California and then making my way back through Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama before getting back to Florida so if you live somewhere on that route and would like to meet up, do please let me know? I have an American phone number now?

Final gripe - there are thousands (some) of web sites that tell you how to follow Route 66 from east to west, but I'm blowed if I can find one going the other way (which I intend to do) and before someone says it - NO - It's not a simple matter or reading the directions backwards!

More will follow if anyone is interested?

Colin
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Thanks for the update. ..... But you can still get paper maps? The last time I looked for a road atlas was four years ago, and couldn't find anything more recent than copyright 2006.
You even LOOK like Jeremy Clarkson! Tee hee!
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:03 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Colin, it's good to hear from you. Stay safe out there!
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Thank you - I will try....
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:34 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

The Wichita lineman was working on the overhead electricity wires, not playing football, Colin!
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
The Wichita lineman was working on the overhead electricity wires, not playing football, Colin!
I knew that as I actually like the song - it was my feeble attempt at humour (with two U's) as is challenging people in restaurants watching Baseball on TV with rapt attention on the fact that it is, after all, simply Rounders?
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:47 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Colin Robinson
Thank you - I will try....
yes, stay safe and have fun.
Drop me a line if you're heading to Austin.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 2:54 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I knew that as I actually like the song - it was my feeble attempt at humour (with two U's) as is challenging people in restaurants watching Baseball on TV with rapt attention on the fact that it is, after all, simply Rounders?
There weren't too many bowlers throwing the ball one hundred miles per hour when I used to play rounders ....
Old Jul 13th 2016, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

And a real pleasure it was meeting ddsrph and his lovely wife! I can't believe how kind they were to me, especially having discovered that it is not my imagination and I am, indeed, cursed! At any other time, any of the three shops they took me to would have had a selection of Road Atlas's, but because I wanted one.......! But they persevered and now, I wouldn't be without it, so my sincere thanks for that and for my first taste of "American BBQ" to both these lovely people. The tent is still to be put to use, but I am sure that will come in Colorado?

For any of my other respondents who may be interested, you will be pleased to know that I am "here" and currently find myself in Wichita, which until now, was simply a kind of "Lineman" (American Football Player?) Glen Campbell sang about?

I have reached this point from arriving in Orlando in the early hours of 6th. July and I feel like I have been driving ever since! As I expected, my major problem gas been with trying to find what I would call reasonably priced accommodation each night? Airbnb has been of some use and the Motel Coupon books I picked up from each state helped too (it seems Kansas doesn't do one???) but trying both chains and "Mom and Pop" outfits (some of which seemed REALLY run down!), the average price seems to be about $60 per night PLUS tax. Admittedly, this is for four people, so $15 each is a good price, but as I am on my won, by myself, $60 for a night, over 90 nights, is way too expensive for me! So far, one night in a school car-park and two in Walmart car parks, plus the odd motel and airbnb host and I still live!

MY main concern is that all I have seemed to do is drive? On motorways and off motorways? And people who have warned me about Texas being boring to drive through cannot seriously mean it is any worse than Kansas?? A "town" of population 23 and a mule, or Wichita so far and miles and miles and miles of dead straight road, bordered by green fields. The highlight of my drive through this state thus far has been the cars that have passed me on average once an hour going in the opposite direction! Oh, and one tractor!

So, I am not really into Museums, Zoos and general exhibitions and the like (and the SallyCorp Animation Factory tour is shut until Labour Day and I was NOT paying $25 to see how Budweiser is made but the Blue Ridge Parkway was fantastic - for the first 40 miles and then I went back on the motorway), and so I had my own objective. I wanted to seek out towns off the beaten track with a strong community spirit and a "Bobby-Joe-Ellen-Mary-Sue's" Diner, where the whole town eats and "Billy-Joe-Bob's" Bar where they all drink and join them! The plan was to ask around and "easily" find someone who has a spare room that they would consider renting me for a week or so and I could spend that time just getting to know people, which for me, is extremely enjoyable.

I have yet to find a town like that, much less a room, but I remain hopeful...?

I have a great room at a great price for the next few days and although Wichita doesn't exactly fit my bill, I could do with the rest from driving!

I have also now had a biscuit - no, not a Rich Tea or a Digestive but an American Biscuit, albeit from McDonalds. My verdict is they are nice enough, but, frankly, a bit tasteless? I bought myself a loaf of "French" bread (which had more sugar in it than 2l of Fat Coke!), a squirty bottle of Butter (GREAT idea!) and some "plain ham", which turned out to be smoked, so I threw the lot away in disgust and will stick with McD! Did you know, by the way, that you get free refills of Coffee from them? I didn't until yesterday! No one told me!!!

Driving is fun as there are no "M25's" I have come across yet although traffic does seem to get a little busier late afternoons? My two main problems with driving in America are that they keep changing the blessed speed limits and do their level best to hide the fact - I often turn onto a road and have to keep my eyes peeled for several miles before I spot a hidden sign telling me I have been speeding all that time! - and the fact that you are supposed to stop a LONG way before a red traffic light and not AT the light, which I am used to in the UK? WHY???? But to give credit where it's due, turning right by giving way even when the light is red is a GREAT idea!

So, those are my exploits to date - I just wish some of you would have warned me more forcibly before I booked everything that I would spend more on accommodation than flights, car hire, food, drink and petrol all put together! Oh, talking of which, my heart sand when I saw a sign in Orlando for petrol for $2.29 9/10 but when I filled up and found that was for a GALLON...... Brilliant!

Heading for Colorado next, then Utah, Arizona, Nevada and California and then making my way back through Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama before getting back to Florida so if you live somewhere on that route and would like to meet up, do please let me know? I have an American phone number now?

Final gripe - there are thousands (some) of web sites that tell you how to follow Route 66 from east to west, but I'm blowed if I can find one going the other way (which I intend to do) and before someone says it - NO - It's not a simple matter or reading the directions backwards!

More will follow if anyone is interested?

Colin
If you want to see "Middle America" you'll find it in the campgrounds. State, US Forest Service Land, National Parks. And with a tent it's a lot cheaper than Motel Rooms. Since you're not in a group I wouldn't recommend camping in areas that are not established as someone else recommended. As an individual you're too isolated.

Stay on the Blue Highways (US Highway System) not the Interstates. Buy a lantern and a small cookstove, eating out every meal can get pricy.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 4:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There's a few of them around....though AAA do nice, free ones. Around here at least...handy, with the roads changing a fair bit and with poor gps reception in downtown areas and out west.

Same for Maine, too....especially for mountain trail roads.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 4:32 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Cinnabon is extremely sticky and too sweet.
That's why I stop after 2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.