Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Old Jun 7th 2016, 5:31 pm
  #61  
Lt (R)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 49,409
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Originally Posted by Colin Robinson View Post
.... But WHITE gravy??? SURELY you jest??? ....
American "gravy" is actually a roux sauce, which the French consider to be one of the "mother sauces" on which French cuisine is based. It is flavored with sausage meat, pepper, and salt, and for whatever reason the Americans call it "gravy", when it really has nothing in common with British-style meat juice gravy. ..... Americans call that "au jus gravy", using a faux-French pronunciation.

"Gravy" is actually rather good, especially with fried chicken or steak, but some Brits like to get snotty and superior about it.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2016, 6:18 pm
  #62  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 52
nick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

I have not read through all your posts, but I gathered you like small towns... a beautifully small town is Fairhope in south Alabama. Its 20/30 minutes from the i10 and is often ignored by tourists passing from Florida to New Orleans.

Fairhope Alabama
nick.simpson19 is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2016, 6:55 pm
  #63  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
mrken30's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Portlandia Metro
Posts: 7,348
mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
"Gravy" is actually rather good, especially with fried chicken or steak, but some Brits like to get snotty and superior about it.
You probably like chicken and dumplings as well
mrken30 is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2016, 6:59 pm
  #64  
Lt (R)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 49,409
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Originally Posted by mrken30 View Post
You probably like chicken and dumplings as well
Only British dumplings, made with suet. American dumplings are like overcooked pasta noodles cooked in wallpaper laste.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2016, 9:12 pm
  #65  
Return of bouncing girl!
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: The Fourth Reich
Posts: 4,931
Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
American "gravy" is actually a roux sauce, which the French consider to be one of the "mother sauces" on which French cuisine is based. It is flavored with sausage meat, pepper, and salt, and for whatever reason the Americans call it "gravy", when it really has nothing in common with British-style meat juice gravy. ..... Americans call that "au jus gravy", using a faux-French pronunciation.

"Gravy" is actually rather good, especially with fried chicken or steak, but some Brits like to get snotty and superior about it.
What IS it with all the "you don't like this food, therefore you must be being snotty and superior" posts lately?

Wasn't it you who just said you don't like biscuits? And that British dumplings are better than American ones? Does that make you snotty and superior? Or does it just mean that different people have different tastes?
Wintersong is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2016, 11:29 pm
  #66  
Lt (R)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 49,409
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Originally Posted by Wintersong View Post
What IS it with all the "you don't like this food, therefore you must be being snotty and superior" posts lately?

Wasn't it you who just said you don't like biscuits? And that British dumplings are better than American ones? Does that make you snotty and superior? Or does it just mean that different people have different tastes?
The distinction I was trying to make, but didn't fully explain is that American "white gravy" is nothing more than a roux sauce, which is the same sort of sauce as used for mac & cheese, cauliflower cheese, fish, scalloped potatoes, and used extensively in French cuisine, as well as in the cuisines of Germany, eastern Europe, the balkans, turkey and Japan.

Unless someone is claiming to not like the use of a flour-roux sauce in any of those applications, then I would contend that my perception of the undertones of "bleugh, that nasty American gravy" is a put-down based on perception of the sauce being unattractive in appearance, and the peculiar habit of drowning a "biscuit" in gravy.

FWIW I will eat biscuits, they just aren't my preferred bread-like roll.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 7th 2016 at 11:38 pm.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Jun 8th 2016, 12:04 am
  #67  
Return of bouncing girl!
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: The Fourth Reich
Posts: 4,931
Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
The distinction I was trying to make, but didn't fully explain is that American "white gravy" is nothing more than a roux sauce, which is the same sort of sauce as used for mac & cheese, cauliflower cheese, fish, scalloped potatoes, and used extensively in French cuisine, as well as in the cuisines of Germany, eastern Europe, the balkans, turkey and Japan.

Unless someone is claiming to not like the use of a flour-roux sauce in any of those applications, then I would contend that my perception of the undertones of "bleugh, that nasty American gravy" is a put-down based on perception of the sauce being unattractive in appearance, and the peculiar habit of drowning a "biscuit" in gravy.

FWIW I will eat biscuits, they just aren't my preferred bread-like roll.
Personally, my dislike is because I've tried it a few times and it's always been too salty for my liking.

Trust me - I used to eat (and, as I recall, enjoy) Fray Bentos pies and Heinz canned Mac & Cheese. I'm not in a position to be looking down on anybody else's food.
Wintersong is offline  
Old Jun 8th 2016, 2:53 am
  #68  
Lt (R)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 49,409
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Originally Posted by Wintersong View Post
Personally, my dislike is because I've tried it a few times and it's always been too salty for my liking. .....
Fair comment. It certainly can be too salty, but so can, say, soup.

It seems a pity that a food/dish gets dismissed as garbage just because sometimes it isn't made properly. That said, if I had something several times and it was consistently unpleasant for the same reason, I would probably give up on it too.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Jun 8th 2016, 4:19 pm
  #69  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
mrken30's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Portlandia Metro
Posts: 7,348
mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Originally Posted by Wintersong View Post
Trust me - I used to eat (and, as I recall, enjoy) Fray Bentos pies and Heinz canned Mac & Cheese. I'm not in a position to be looking down on anybody else's food.
I saw canned Mac & Cheese in Walmart the other day. I used to enjoy the canned Mac & Cheese also.
mrken30 is offline  
Old Jun 8th 2016, 4:28 pm
  #70  
Austin. TX.
 
petitefrancaise's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 5,734
petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Originally Posted by mrken30 View Post
I saw canned Mac & Cheese in Walmart the other day. I used to enjoy the canned Mac & Cheese also.


sorry, that's all I can muster......

I can, and have, eaten all manner of things but I really don't get this US obsession with mac and cheese. Just the look of it... yeuch.
petitefrancaise is offline  
Old Jun 8th 2016, 4:36 pm
  #71  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 47
Colin Robinson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Sorry, but the concept of "White Gravy" - without being snobby about it - just turned my stomach but WHITE SAUCE is wonderful! I think it's all down to the "trunk/boot", "fanny/ladies bits" differences in the languages!

I want to try chicken and dumplings, BROWN gravy, biscuits, white SAUCE and lots and lots of Barbecue (but maybe not American dumplings as I'm not keen on wallpaper paste!) and I have been known to occasionally have some food with my salt so that's not a problem!

Again, thank you all for your tips and advice - nick.simpson19 I have added Fairhope to my list as anywhere ignored by tourists is my kind of place!

Anyone else on my (ever growing) route want to meet up or can offer a few nights cheap accommodation or knows of any "gems", FAR away from the beaten track, do please let me know??
Colin Robinson is offline  
Old Jun 8th 2016, 4:43 pm
  #72  
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2016
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 348
themadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise View Post


sorry, that's all I can muster......

I can, and have, eaten all manner of things but I really don't get this US obsession with mac and cheese. Just the look of it... yeuch.
Brat (sausage) mac & cheese I had recently


Delicious

I read on another thread (may have been this one) you also don't like bbq, one wonders about your pallet or lack thereof

Last edited by themadpooper; Jun 8th 2016 at 5:02 pm.
themadpooper is offline  
Old Jun 8th 2016, 4:54 pm
  #73  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
mrken30's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Portlandia Metro
Posts: 7,348
mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Originally Posted by Colin Robinson View Post
I want to try chicken and dumplings, BROWN gravy, biscuits, white SAUCE and lots and lots of Barbecue (but maybe not American dumplings as I'm not keen on wallpaper paste!) and I have been known to occasionally have some food with my salt so that's not a problem!
I always thought semolina tasted more like wallpaper paste. Maybe US wallpaper paste tastes different.
mrken30 is offline  
Old Jun 8th 2016, 5:07 pm
  #74  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 47
Colin Robinson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

I'm not keen on semolina either but I was only going on what Pulaski said about American dumplings Mrken30?
Colin Robinson is offline  
Old Jun 8th 2016, 5:10 pm
  #75  
Return of bouncing girl!
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: The Fourth Reich
Posts: 4,931
Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise View Post


sorry, that's all I can muster......

I can, and have, eaten all manner of things but I really don't get this US obsession with mac and cheese. Just the look of it... yeuch.
I really like it when it's baked. My kids, on the other hand, prefer it when it's straight out of a packet. Philistines
Wintersong is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.