Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Old Jun 6th 2016, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Originally Posted by Colin Robinson
Well I was grateful - as I am for ALL comments and suggestions that have anything to do with the questions I asked, and NOT %^& visas!!!!
I would recommend camping in State Parks. They usually have sites that cater to the type that considers a fifty foot motor home camping but also have campsites that cater to the tent and sleeping bag variety. The basic sites are usually very cheap and most have a shower building nearby. You can find a lot of info online at the individual state park sites that will include photos and prices.
My wife and I are in the process of downsizing and giving away a lot of stuff. I have a small tent with external fiberglass poles that assembles in minutes and a barely used sleeping bag that I bought many years ago to carry in airplane. You are welcome to have both and all I have to do is find them, somewhere in hangar or attic.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I see you are landing in Florida but it wasn't on the itinary. I did find Tarpon Springs and interesting old town.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 5:14 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's good to see you're on-point and relevant, as always.

I'm not allowed to give you any more Karma until I've spread it around!

To the OP, sure, pm me when you think you'll be my way. Austin isn't a big city at all and nothing like London, Paris, New York and Dallas which is where I've lived before at various times... . Don't take any notice of the mad shitter, he's never ever got anything useful to say. In his own world, mad is the word indeed. Maybe you could entice him to the aforementioned forum?

I assumed you'd be rv'ing? Are you staying in hotels?
Old Jun 6th 2016, 5:18 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Just read through a couple of more posts...

you will have basic camping equipment and a car?
Old Jun 6th 2016, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

As an example go to Tennessee State parks website and look at South Cumberland State park. It has many hiking trails and great scenery. The campsites are from $8 to $45. This park is north of Chattanooga in direction of Nashville.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 6:03 pm
Banned

themadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond repute

Telling a single bloke from the UK to go camping in Southern America is very odd advice. He wants to have a good time seeing real America, not kipping in a field with a bunch of families who will probably think he's a paedo
Old Jun 6th 2016, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

It also is very warm/humid for a Brit. It's nice to go back to a room with AC in the evening.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 6:34 pm
Austin. TX.

It's funny what is regarded as "real america" isn't it? I'd much,much rather get off the beaten track and into mountains and state parks than stay in small town USA. For me the beauty and grandeur of the USA lies not in the average city or town but out in the wild. I know some people would go from smart hotel to smart hotel to spa resort and consider they'd seen the USA but that's just the disney/macdo version. Sure, stay in a lovely hotel in a big city and be pampered but why stay in a grotty motel on the side of a highway just to visit small town America. Sugarmooma, another neighbour hails from Fort Davis, her mother runs the local newspaper - and what she says about it doesn't make me want to visit it at all. But Fort Davis is close to some absolutely superb mountains....

To the OP, maybe someone can point you to a rental place - but in Colorado I saw some small camper vans that were not much bigger than a people carrier which would be great to get around in. Maybe someone knows of a similar company in FL? https://www.jucyusa.com/rv-rental-locations/
Old Jun 6th 2016, 6:37 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by mrken30
It also is very warm/humid for a Brit. It's nice to go back to a room with AC in the evening.
yes, I was going to mention this.... in Colorado camping is lovely during the summer. Not Texas/Utah/New Mexico though.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

To the OP, maybe someone can point you to a rental place - but in Colorado I saw some small camper vans that were not much bigger than a people carrier which would be great to get around in. Maybe someone knows of a similar company in FL? https://www.jucyusa.com/rv-rental-locations/
This looks like fun. At @100 /night not a bad deal. There does seem to be a lot of add-ons to consider.

We have been looking at trying to buy something like this. I wonder if they sell them on. Most RV's in the US cannot accommodate child seats.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Get thyself to the great state of Texas and eat a good biscuit, buttery, flaky, salty, warm out the oven - delicious!
Nom nom nom. More gravy the better.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 8:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Camping in America is different to camping in the UK. I have not come across a UK-style farmers field were you either have it to yourself in March or the tents get packed in next to each other on a bank holiday...
There are a fair few of them in the New England area, normally you find them seasonally, for obvious reasons, but they tend to be around biking and hiking trail areas. A lot of them in New Hampshire and Vermont, quite a few in CT/PA and also Maine.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 8:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Colin Robinson
I have avoided most of the Big Cities as, in Europe at least, my experience of them is that they are all much the same? I'm sure you will tell me I'm wrong, but I've only got 3 months so maybe I can do a Big Place tour another time?
I don't know about visiting all of them, but I'd think it would be worth visiting at least one. They're quite different to the UK and the style of cities do vary a lot across the US. Boston is very different to Chicago, which is massively different to Minneapolis or going to a smaller city, say Duluth, MN or Dubuque Iowa.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30

Top tip, as learnt whilst road tripping in Texas last summer, but applies anywhere in hot weather: When booking dive roadside motels request a room that gets afternoon shade, otherwise your room may well take a while to be of comfortable temperature. If the owners are tight and the rooms still have nasty window mounted aircon units, they'll not turn on the aircon until the room is let (or more specifically, you'll turn it on as you stagger to it in temperatures deserving of a hot oven!!!)
Old Jun 6th 2016, 10:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
It's funny what is regarded as "real america" isn't it? I'd much,much rather get off the beaten track and into mountains and state parks than stay in small town USA. For me the beauty and grandeur of the USA lies not in the average city or town but out in the wild. I know some people would go from smart hotel to smart hotel to spa resort and consider they'd seen the USA but that's just the disney/macdo version. Sure, stay in a lovely hotel in a big city and be pampered but why stay in a grotty motel on the side of a highway just to visit small town America. Sugarmooma, another neighbour hails from Fort Davis, her mother runs the local newspaper - and what she says about it doesn't make me want to visit it at all. But Fort Davis is close to some absolutely superb mountains....

That's where we differ. Small town America can have some of the more interesting histories and interesting characters.

Now if the OP wants a real funky out there place to visit then Terlingua Ghost town is as weird and wonderful as you can get. Love it there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.