British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/free-cup-tea-sticky-bun-878449/)

Bob Jun 6th 2016 12:01 pm

Re: Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Originally Posted by Colin Robinson (Post 11966175)
Bob – With 3 months to play with, I’m hoping I can do some driving, find a place I’d like to get to know better and a place to stay while I’m there, have a few days or a week or so not driving at all, and then back on the road when I feel like it? I don’t know what a “KoA” type of camp site is, but again, do they supply equipment? And I hope to avoid as many “popular areas” as I possibly can throughout the whole trip….

Camping Reservations, Campgrounds and Campsites| KOA

Some sites have rentals, some sites have small basic cabins and then you use the shared facilities such as the shower/bathroom.

Colin Robinson Jun 6th 2016 12:04 pm

Hi Themadpooper!

Thanks for your suggestions!

I'm not a great "foody" I'm afraid - I've been amazed at the fantastic quality of your McDonalds and KFC's when I've been in the States before, compared with the tasteless crap they sell in the UK! I'm a meat-and-chips person, but I am REALLY looking forward to the Barbecue places! What IS a baby-back rib anyway and do you have biscuits with it? Digestives, I trust?

Yes, the Country Music Hall of Fame is a must! But I will keep my mouth firmly shut while there as, whilst I have always liked a bit of C&W, I went off the style when I learned devotees claimed the Eagles (my favourite band!) were "Country!!!!

I have avoided most of the Big Cities as, in Europe at least, my experience of them is that they are all much the same? I'm sure you will tell me I'm wrong, but I've only got 3 months so maybe I can do a Big Place tour another time?

Thanks again!

Colin Robinson Jun 6th 2016 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11966198)
Camping Reservations, Campgrounds and Campsites| KOA

Some sites have rentals, some sites have small basic cabins and then you use the shared facilities such as the shower/bathroom.

Just looked at the one in Jacksonville Bob and they are more expensive than a motel? If there were 6 of me, it would be really cheap, but on my own.....

Thanks anyway...

themadpooper Jun 6th 2016 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11966191)
It's good to see you're on-point and relevant, as always. :lol:

Ignores my exhaustive and well meaning post to have a pop at 1 sentence. Well done

Colin Robinson Jun 6th 2016 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by themadpooper (Post 11966217)
Ignores my exhaustive and well meaning post to have a pop at 1 sentence. Well done

Well I was grateful - as I am for ALL comments and suggestions that have anything to do with the questions I asked, and NOT %^& visas!!!!

MidAtlantic Jun 6th 2016 12:31 pm

While in Nashville it is worth visiting RCA Studio B where Elvis and many others recorded. You buy the tickets at the Country Music Hall of Fame and they take you on a mini-bus for the tour.

Pulaski Jun 6th 2016 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Colin Robinson (Post 11966203)
..... I am REALLY looking forward to the Barbecue places! What IS a baby-back rib anyway

Pork ribs, cooked in one piece, "a rack", and they are a specific part of the rib, but that is getting a bit technical, knowing that they are pork ribs is likely sufficient. :)

and do you have biscuits with it? Digestives, I trust?
The closest living relative of the "biscuit" is a scone, but a biscuit is a bit less "cakey" than a scone.

Across much of the area you'll be traveling, (the east of the Mississippi legs, plus Texas) a lot of non-chain restaurants don't sell alcohol, so no beer with dinner. The biggest clue is any restaurant that describes itself as a "family" restaurant is one that doesn't sell alcohol. Also non-chain fish restaurants are typically "dry" too.

Colin Robinson Jun 6th 2016 1:23 pm

Thanks again Pulaski. As you say "Pork" is enough for me to know and I can't wait to try them! And a biscuit is, in fact, a kind of bread roll then? Again, good enough for me! I don't drink and drive (even a beer!) so dry eateries is not a problem but I do my best to make up for that when the car is parked for the night!

Pulaski Jun 6th 2016 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Colin Robinson (Post 11966261)
Thanks again Pulaski. As you say "Pork" is enough for me to know and I can't wait to try them! And a biscuit is, in fact, a kind of bread roll then? ....

Sort of, kind of, but IMO not in a good way. Pretty much anything would be preferable - yeast roll, dinner roll, French roll, bakery roll, wheat roll, :sneaky:etc. And biscuits usually aren't buttered, so they're dry too. :(

kimilseung Jun 6th 2016 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Colin Robinson (Post 11966175)
? I don’t know what a “KoA” type of camp site is,

Camping in America is different to camping in the UK. I have not come across a UK-style farmers field were you either have it to yourself in March or the tents get packed in next to each other on a bank holiday. The camp sites tend to be more up market, more RVs than tents. Dedicated areas to each booking, a pull in area, a table with benches and camp fire pit, optional hook up for electricity, water and sewage. The KoA sites tend to be a bit more on the housing estate model than park or forestry land camp sites. I prefer the later, but the former might suit you more if it is just a stop over on the way to somewhere else. The costs of camping in America is also significantly more expensive than camping in the UK, and sometime, not much cheaper than a cheap end motel.

Pulaski Jun 6th 2016 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 11966268)
..... The costs of camping in America is also significantly more expensive than camping in the UK, and sometime, not much cheaper than a cheap end motel.

Both likely come with similar exposure to insects and rodents too. :rolleyes:

ChocolateBabz Jun 6th 2016 3:59 pm

A couple of years ago we did a 'short' road trip Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and back again. Some of our highlights were

New Mexico - Carsbad Caverns, Worlds Largest Pistachio
Arizona - Sedona, Salt River Tubing, Grand Canyon
Nevada - Las Vegas (it's a small town right?)

ChocolateBabz Jun 6th 2016 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11966266)
Sort of, kind of, but IMO not in a good way. Pretty much anything would be preferable - yeast roll, dinner roll, French roll, bakery roll, wheat roll, :sneaky:etc. And biscuits usually aren't buttered, so they're dry too. :(

Get thyself to the great state of Texas and eat a good biscuit, buttery, flaky, salty, warm out the oven - delicious!

Wintersong Jun 6th 2016 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Colin Robinson (Post 11965348)

OUT:- Jacksonville (Sally Corp Animatronic Factory, the Federal Reserve Bank and Budweiser), Georgia (Savannah), South Carolina (Coast to Charleston), North Carolina, Tennessee (Nashville), Arkansas, Missouri (South), Kansas (South), Colorado (South), Utah (South, Zion Park), (North) Arizona (Grand Canyon), Nevada (Central/North), California (Coast Highway 101)
back (sigh!):- California (Yosemite), Nevada (Las Vegas) Arizona (Grand Canyon), New Mexico (Santa Fe), Oklahoma (Oklahoma City), Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia

Thank you – and I hope to meet some of you soon?

Colin

Sounds like the trip of a lifetime!

I'm not at all familiar with the South East - my only experience there was South Carolina. Get into the Great Smoky Mountains and stop at a road-side boiled-peanut stand to chat with locals. I found the people in SC to be incredibly welcoming and friendly.

Northern Arizona around the Grand Canyon area is great, but you might find it too touristy. Still, I tend to think you shouldn't travel in the area without going on Route 66 and visiting a museum or two ;) There's a good one in Kingman, just opposite a nice little diner (has a statue of Elvis - what more could you ask?). Williams is a cute little town but, again, may not be up your alley, since it is a tourist mecca.

Do try to do some rafting in Utah, if you can (though you may not find anything close to your route). Rafting through the red rock canyons is quite an experience.

Nevada, in my opinion, is there to be traversed as quickly as humanly possible.

California... you're unlikely to find small-town America here ;) The PCH and Yosemite are stunningly beautiful but attract vast quantities of visitors, so there isn't a lot that's "off the beaten track". I'm not sure when you're aiming to be in Yosemite, but you may want to consider booking accommodation in advance there as it gets booked up incredibly early. If you can't get accommodation in the park, many places outside will offer shuttle services to get you there. Climb the mist trail to the top of Vernal Falls. Try to get to Mammoth Lakes as well and, if you have time, Lake Tahoe.

I'm in the SF Bay Area. It'd be great to hear about your experiences if you're in my neck of the woods :D

Wintersong Jun 6th 2016 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz (Post 11966417)
Get thyself to the great state of Texas and eat a good biscuit, buttery, flaky, salty, warm out the oven - delicious!

I really like biscuits! So long as they don't come with that horrendous white gravy...