British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/free-cup-tea-sticky-bun-878449/)

Colin Robinson Sep 18th 2016 8:46 pm

Re: Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12055734)
Hey, forget Meridian. What about Tupelo home of Elvis or Oxford home of Ole Miss or Kosciusko, MS birthplace of Oprah Winfred. Or my city of Hattiesburg which is home to the University of Southern Miss, Carey University and Camp Shelby military base. Pass Christian, Gulfport, Long Beach, Biloxi all great coastal cities.

I'm in Ocean Springs staying with a guy from Hattiesburg and being forcibly made to watch American Football on TV rooting for Ol Miss and some saints, who have just got stuffed! I'm just running out of time now and need to see Alabamy before getting back to Florida.....

zzrmark Sep 18th 2016 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Colin Robinson (Post 12055209)
...finally, the last 3 days in a Motel in Orlando to repack all my stuff so I don't have liquids in my hand luggage and sharp things only in the hold bag and so on.....

That strikes me as a missed opportunity for, at least, two and a half days. How long does it take to empty a car into a motel room and jam stuff into a few bags?

Colin Robinson Sep 18th 2016 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by zzrmark (Post 12055831)
That strikes me as a missed opportunity for, at least, two and a half days. How long does it take to empty a car into a motel room and jam stuff into a few bags?

I agree, but I intended to go back down through the Keys if I had time, but I don't - so I thought I'd just chill out, catch up on all the paperwork I've missed doing in the last three months (and getting in touch with friends and family I've neglected) and just laze around in the pool in the (hopefully?) Florida sunshine before going back to the UK.... Have you ever been to the UK??? If you have, you'll know why the thought of going back fills me with dread!

zzrmark Sep 19th 2016 12:04 am

Originally Posted by Colin Robinson (Post 12055835)
I agree, but I intended to go back down through the Keys if I had time, but I don't - so I thought I'd just chill out, catch up on all the paperwork I've missed doing in the last three months (and getting in touch with friends and family I've neglected) and just laze around in the pool in the (hopefully?) Florida sunshine before going back to the UK.... Have you ever been to the UK??? If you have, you'll know why the thought of going back fills me with dread!

Yup, I've only been permanent here since last October (you could hazard a guess at why my avatar is the flag of Devon ;) ).

If you are reluctant to head back then it's even more reason to enjoy yourself, surely paperwork and 'catching up' can wait another 72 hours until you hit the shores of Blighty?

Jerseygirl Sep 19th 2016 1:56 am

Errr...this is a forum for BRITISH expats. :lol:

scrubbedexpat097 Sep 19th 2016 2:34 am

Well I don't know how long you spent in Texas but quite honestly I would trade places with you and take your ticket back to the UK. This heat and humidity is killing me, and it seems to get worse every year!

Colin Robinson Sep 19th 2016 5:13 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12055855)
Errr...this is a forum for BRITISH expats. :lol:

I was being ironic.... Or trying to be...?

Colin Robinson Sep 19th 2016 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 12055864)
Well I don't know how long you spent in Texas but quite honestly I would trade places with you and take your ticket back to the UK. This heat and humidity is killing me, and it seems to get worse every year!

Yes it's been pretty grim since Texas but worse in Louisiana and now Mississippi but I still prefer the humidity and occasional torrential rain to the drab, drizzly, bone-wearying cold of the UK!

scrubbedexpat097 Sep 19th 2016 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Colin Robinson (Post 12055909)
Yes it's been pretty grim since Texas but worse in Louisiana and now Mississippi but I still prefer the humidity and occasional torrential rain to the drab, drizzly, bone-wearying cold of the UK!

It's different when you have to live with it probably 10 months of the year though.

Drizzle and drab sound good to me;)

ddsrph Sep 19th 2016 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 12056117)
It's different when you have to live with it probably 10 months of the year though.

Drizzle and drab sound good to me;)

I sometimes feel the same way here in Tennessee during our long and very hot, humid summers. Then that first really cold day comes in November, and I wonder what was I thinking.

scot47 Sep 19th 2016 2:06 pm

Meridian - birthplace of this singer -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmie...country_singer)

Died in 1933 but is still crisp, fresh and meaningful. Try the track that made him famous.Soldier's Sweetheart. Best Anti-war song ever !

Colin Robinson Sep 19th 2016 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12056253)
Meridian - birthplace of this singer -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmie...country_singer)

Died in 1933 but is still crisp, fresh and meaningful. Try the track that made him famous.Soldier's Sweetheart. Best Anti-war song ever !

A Scot? Proclaiming the virtues of a singer, best known in the UK for
? Now I have heard everything..... :ohmy:

Colin Robinson Sep 19th 2016 2:35 pm

Although IO tried to pretend I knew, I have actually only recently discovered that we are all expat Brits on here and, as we all know, Brits LOVE to complain about the weather! It is ALWAYS too hot, too cold, too dry, too wet, too....something!

I have experienced long periods of hot and long ones of cold and long ones of humid and long ones of "grey" and, as a personal preference, gimme the States over the UK for the weather....! And if you could get a decent steak pie out here, a proper sausage and, OMG - BACON! - I'd move in a heartbeat!

ddsrph Oct 3rd 2016 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Colin Robinson (Post 11965348)
Hi

I don’t know if I’m allowed to post this on here as I am not able to LIVE in the US (sigh!) but I am coming for 3 months and hope to be able to meet up with some nice people?

I tried a different forum to this one and wasted a large part of my life arguing with two very aggressive, sarcastic people (one of whom was a moderator!) about visas – which I didn’t even ask about! - so I’m hoping this might be the forum for me?

I am landing in Orlando on the 5th. July 2016 and have a rough “Itinerary” for my road trip which I give below. I am not a history buff, nor a “Must see every wonderful Park possible” person but do love people so I am “looking” for small-town America? What I am hoping to find on this forum is:-

* People who live somewhere near my route who may be willing to meet up for my offered “Tea and Bun”?
* Suggestions for “Things I should see” and “Places I should go” that aren’t already on my plans?
* Any offers or suggestions (beyond Airbnb who are already at the top of my “Favourites” list!) for cheap places I could stay for a night or two on my travels?

The route at the moment is:-

OUT:- Jacksonville (Sally Corp Animatronic Factory, the Federal Reserve Bank and Budweiser), Georgia (Savannah), South Carolina (Coast to Charleston), North Carolina, Tennessee (Nashville), Arkansas, Missouri (South), Kansas (South), Colorado (South), Utah (South, Zion Park), (North) Arizona (Grand Canyon), Nevada (Central/North), California (Coast Highway 101)
back (sigh!):- California (Yosemite), Nevada (Las Vegas) Arizona (Grand Canyon), New Mexico (Santa Fe), Oklahoma (Oklahoma City), Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia

Thank you – and I hope to meet some of you soon?

Colin

Colin
I guess you are back home by now. Overall how was your trip? I am sure it was a lot different than you envisioned but hopefully worth the effort.

Jim

Colin Robinson Oct 3rd 2016 9:37 am

Exactly that Jim!

I am back in the UK now, the trip was well worth it and it was not at all as I imagined it to be!

I will be posting a "final" summary on here soon - when I recover from the jetlag and sort out the problems I have come back to, but for now, I would like to thank all the contributors to this thread, many or whom have been really helpful, and especially you Jim!