Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Old Aug 1st 2016, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Originally Posted by Colin Robinson
Sorry JC - you, of course, would know...?

But last time I was back in the UK it was £1.44 per litre and, before Brexit (gnash, grind!), the dollar was 1.52 to the pound.

Assuming 4.5 litres to the gallon, that gives a dollar price to UK sufferers of $9.85, which to me is near enough ten bucks as not to argue?
That must have been a long time ago, the current average price for unleaded is 111.13p/litre in the UK according to petrolprices.com.

A US gallon is smaller than a UK gallon, it's roughly 3.8 litres not 4.5.

111.13p x 3.8 = £4.22 per US gallon or $5.57 at today's exchange rate.

Still significantly more than the US admittedly though, gas is $1.59 a gallon in various places in NJ at the moment.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

Colin Robinson is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, OK! I give up....

Petrol is cheaper in America!

Argue with that!

But you don't have real bacon, bread without a ton of sugar in it or decent plain Pork or Beef sausages so I'm not sure I would trade.....

Who am I kidding - Of course I would!
Old Aug 1st 2016, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

You can get real bacon and sausages online
Old Aug 1st 2016, 2:05 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Plus 4 times more wear and tear on the vehicle. .....
I don't think so - the cars seem to go 4 times as far too, I believe partly because the engines are relatively larger, and partly because most cars in the US are not used for super-short engine-and-transmission-wearing trips of just a mile or two. When I leave home it takes me most of a mile just to get to the main road!

Anyhow, our Accord has done 313,000 miles, whereas the Sierra I had back in the 90's was all worn out at 101,000 miles, and my father's old Viva was fit for the scrapyard at 88,000 miles.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 1st 2016 at 2:56 am.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 2:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't think so - the cars seem to go 4 times as far too, I believe partly because the engines are relatively larger, and partly because most cars in the US are not used for super-short engine-and-transmission-wearing trips of just a mile or two. When I leave home it takes me most of a mile to get to the main road!

Anyhow, our Accord has done 313,000 miles, whereas the Sierra I had back in the 90's was all worn out at 101,000 miles, and my father's old Viva was fit for the scrapyard at 88,000 miles.
What do I know we change our cars every 2 to 3 years.
Old Aug 11th 2016, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I don’t know if I’m allowed to post this on here as I am not able to LIVE in the US (sigh!) but I am coming for 3 months and hope to be able to meet up with some nice people?

I tried a different forum to this one and wasted a large part of my life arguing with two very aggressive, sarcastic people (one of whom was a moderator!) about visas – which I didn’t even ask about! - so I’m hoping this might be the forum for me?

I am landing in Orlando on the 5th. July 2016 and have a rough “Itinerary” for my road trip which I give below. I am not a history buff, nor a “Must see every wonderful Park possible” person but do love people so I am “looking” for small-town America? What I am hoping to find on this forum is:-

* People who live somewhere near my route who may be willing to meet up for my offered “Tea and Bun”?
* Suggestions for “Things I should see” and “Places I should go” that aren’t already on my plans?
* Any offers or suggestions (beyond Airbnb who are already at the top of my “Favourites” list!) for cheap places I could stay for a night or two on my travels?

The route at the moment is:-

OUT:- Jacksonville (Sally Corp Animatronic Factory, the Federal Reserve Bank and Budweiser), Georgia (Savannah), South Carolina (Coast to Charleston), North Carolina, Tennessee (Nashville), Arkansas, Missouri (South), Kansas (South), Colorado (South), Utah (South, Zion Park), (North) Arizona (Grand Canyon), Nevada (Central/North), California (Coast Highway 101)
back (sigh!):- California (Yosemite), Nevada (Las Vegas) Arizona (Grand Canyon), New Mexico (Santa Fe), Oklahoma (Oklahoma City), Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia

Thank you – and I hope to meet some of you soon?

Colin
Colin
How is the trip going? Where are you currently?

Jim and Donna
Old Aug 11th 2016, 9:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
.... How is the trip going? Where are you currently? .....
At the rate he was going, probably back in Florida.

Maybe he has time for a second lap?
Old Aug 11th 2016, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

And that's what worries me! At the Rate I'm going, I'm going to get back to Florida far too soon and as the US have changed their rules (damn them!) and I had to book my return flight before they would let me in this time, I'm committed to leaving on the 1st. October! But fear not - I have a cunning plan, which doesn't involve turnips! If I get bacl too early, I'll have another trip down into the Keys - I love it down there!

As to where I am, I am currently in San Luis Obispo with a lovely lady who is not only a Professor of English, a successful small businessperson and (should be!) a model, but also runs Ultra Marathons which, apparently, is 50 flippin' miles!!! A kind chap is putting me up for a week in LA from Saturday, and then it's onwards - hopefully not too quickly!

Nice place California, but a marked absence of hippies???
Old Aug 11th 2016, 11:39 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

And that's what worries me! At the Rate I'm going, I'm going to get back to Florida far too soon and as the US have changed their rules (damn them!) and I had to book my return flight before they would let me in this time, I'm committed to leaving on the 1st. October! But fear not - I have a cunning plan, which doesn't involve turnips! If I get bacl too early, I'll have another trip down into the Keys - I love it down there!

As to where I am, I am currently in San Luis Obispo with a lovely lady who is not only a Professor of English, a successful small businessperson and (should be!) a model, but also runs Ultra Marathons which, apparently, is 50 flippin' miles!!! A kind chap is putting me up for a week in LA from Saturday, and then it's onwards - hopefully not too quickly!

They were probably a blur in your rear view mirror as you sped through Berkeley
Old Aug 11th 2016, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

As to where I am, I am currently in San Luis Obiswith a lovely lady who is not only a Professor of English, a successful small businessperson and (should be!) a model, but also runs Ultra Marathons which, apparently, is 50 flippin' miles!!! A kind chap is putting me up for a week in LA from Saturday, and then it's onwards - hopefully not too quickly!

Still in California, that's a good sign. I was in San Luis Obisco once as it was my long cross country flight when I was getting my pilots license back in 1970 while stationed at Vandenberg Air Force Base, I went down to the Keys for the first time last year. The wife and I stayed at Naval Air Station, Key West. One of the great benefits of military retirement is this great world wide cheap lodging available. As a senior officer some are very plush for cheap motel prices. Sounds like you are adapting well and there is still plenty of real estate left to explore.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi

I don’t know if I’m allowed to post this on here as I am not able to LIVE in the US (sigh!) but I am coming for 3 months and hope to be able to meet up with some nice people?

I tried a different forum to this one and wasted a large part of my life arguing with two very aggressive, sarcastic people (one of whom was a moderator!) about visas – which I didn’t even ask about! - so I’m hoping this might be the forum for me?

I am landing in Orlando on the 5th. July 2016 and have a rough “Itinerary” for my road trip which I give below. I am not a history buff, nor a “Must see every wonderful Park possible” person but do love people so I am “looking” for small-town America? What I am hoping to find on this forum is:-

* People who live somewhere near my route who may be willing to meet up for my offered “Tea and Bun”?
* Suggestions for “Things I should see” and “Places I should go” that aren’t already on my plans?
* Any offers or suggestions (beyond Airbnb who are already at the top of my “Favourites” list!) for cheap places I could stay for a night or two on my travels?

The route at the moment is:-

OUT:- Jacksonville (Sally Corp Animatronic Factory, the Federal Reserve Bank and Budweiser), Georgia (Savannah), South Carolina (Coast to Charleston), North Carolina, Tennessee (Nashville), Arkansas, Missouri (South), Kansas (South), Colorado (South), Utah (South, Zion Park), (North) Arizona (Grand Canyon), Nevada (Central/North), California (Coast Highway 101)
back (sigh!):- California (Yosemite), Nevada (Las Vegas) Arizona (Grand Canyon), New Mexico (Santa Fe), Oklahoma (Oklahoma City), Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia

Thank you – and I hope to meet some of you soon?

Colin
Colin
How is the free couch website working out? That is a good way to meet locals which is one of the main reasons to travel. Being a foreign tourist should work to your advantage. I guess you are still in California.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

I am, but starting to get paranoid as so many people are turning me down! Anyone would think I'm English or something?
THat said, you're right - I have met some GREAT people but I'm finding California is almost like a "separate country" to the other US States I've been through? Everyone is so damnably fit and healthy and all the restaurants are "Organic" or "Farm to Fosse" or whatever it is - I'm living at McDonalds for an ordinary, common or garden, very unhealthy fat-burger! Oh, and of course, the free coffee refill! Californians also seem to g to bed at around 9.00 and get up at obscene o'clock and the drivers in LA cut you up like any good Londoner, but take 20 minutes or so to pull off when lights turn green so traffic is forever backed up?
One more Santa - Diego I think? - then on to Arizona and the huge land mass that is Texas.... But at least I should be OK there as a meat eater?
Old Aug 29th 2016, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

My plans have changed again, again!
I am now in Roswell, armed with steel reinforced underpants so am, hopefully, probe-immune? The lady I am staying with is a sports reporter for the local Military Academy School so I have got to see lots of volleyball matches (they've changed the flippin' rules!) and even TWO American "Football" games! It is she who has "redirected" me through Texas so now I am going to be in the city that is Austin, whom everyone I have spoken to in the US tell me is a GREAT place?
I seem to remember (without going through this thread as I'm in McD's and already getting funny looks for being here too long) that there are a few nice people on here from The Austin, so if you are one of them and would be willing to meet up for a coffee or something, please let me know?
The adventure continues, despite a parking ticket in LA (which I am fighting about and have told them where they are going wrong!), can't wait to see my first alien (although I suspect I have already met a few in America?) and despite most things said on here, as a confirmed carnivore, am looking forward to TEXAS!
Old Aug 29th 2016, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

My plans have changed again, again!
I am now in Roswell, armed with steel reinforced underpants so am, hopefully, probe-immune? The lady I am staying with is a sports reporter for the local Military Academy School so I have got to see lots of volleyball matches (they've changed the flippin' rules!) and even TWO American "Football" games! It is she who has "redirected" me through Texas so now I am going to be in the city that is Austin, whom everyone I have spoken to in the US tell me is a GREAT place?
I seem to remember (without going through this thread as I'm in McD's and already getting funny looks for being here too long) that there are a few nice people on here from The Austin, so if you are one of them and would be willing to meet up for a coffee or something, please let me know?
The adventure continues, despite a parking ticket in LA (which I am fighting about and have told them where they are going wrong!), can't wait to see my first alien (although I suspect I have already met a few in America?) and despite most things said on here, as a confirmed carnivore, am looking forward to TEXAS!
Looks like things are going OK for you. I like New Mexico. I spent over three years there attending UNM in Albuquerque. If you get to Albuquerque take the cable tram up to Sandia Peak. It's on the north side of town.
Don't leave Texas or New Mexico without trying some Tex/Mex food. Probably as cheap as McDonalds. Ask some locals for recommendations of Mexican rest. Don't be put off by looks, some dumps have the best food, the locals will know.

Jim
Old Aug 29th 2016, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Funny you should say that.... I was eating a leftover fajita from last night as I read your post! FAR too much to eat in one go!
I promised a woman I met (who appeared in Friday Night Lights! - I got her autograph!) that I would try Mexican as she told me I was wrong and it's not all vegetables and funny stuff - and she was right!
I love New Mexico - its the friendliest place I have found so far - Silver City, Roswell and a charming lady from Artesia (but that's another story) as well as many people just passing in the street all prove it. I'm hoping that, despite what everyone has said, Texas will be the same?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.