Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Old Aug 29th 2016, 10:07 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free Cup of Tea (AND a Sticky Bun???)

Originally Posted by Colin Robinson
Funny you should say that.... I was eating a leftover fajita from last night as I read your post! FAR too much to eat in one go!
I promised a woman I met (who appeared in Friday Night Lights! - I got her autograph!) that I would try Mexican as she told me I was wrong and it's not all vegetables and funny stuff - and she was right!
I love New Mexico - its the friendliest place I have found so far - Silver City, Roswell and a charming lady from Artesia (but that's another story) as well as many people just passing in the street all prove it. I'm hoping that, despite what everyone has said, Texas will be the same?
We stayed in Artesia when we were in NM, have you been to Carlsbad Caverns, not to be missed!
Old Aug 30th 2016, 2:22 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Funny you should say that.... I was eating a leftover fajita from last night as I read your post! FAR too much to eat in one go!
I promised a woman I met (who appeared in Friday Night Lights! - I got her autograph!) that I would try Mexican as she told me I was wrong and it's not all vegetables and funny stuff - and she was right!
I love New Mexico - its the friendliest place I have found so far - Silver City, Roswell and a charming lady from Artesia (but that's another story) as well as many people just passing in the street all prove it. I'm hoping that, despite what everyone has said, Texas will be the same?
Texas is very friendly!
If you keep to the plan you put up a few weeks ago, then you'll be about an hour north of me. Hint, hint.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

Colin Robinson is an unknown quantity at this point

Errrrm.... Forgot to say - The Plan has changed again, again (again) as Californians and Arizonianians and even New Mexicoers LIKE texas and Texans so I have been persuaded to alter my route to see MORE of the State, despite the advice I have been given on here (and by the rest of the people I have met everywhere else in America!).

I won't put it all up, but the Texas part of my journey is now:

PLAINS – TEXAS
LUBBOCK
SLATON
ABILENE
WINTERS
BALLINGER
EDEN
BRADY
LLANO
AUSTIN
LOCKHEART
LULING
GONZALES
CUERO
VICTORIA
PORT LAVACA
BAY CITY
ANGLETON
GALVESTON
PORT BOLIVAR
GILCHRIST
WINNIE
PORT ARTHUR
LAKE CHARLES – LOUISIANA

Anyone want that cup of Tea?
Old Aug 30th 2016, 5:33 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Errrrm.... Forgot to say - The Plan has changed again, again (again) as Californians and Arizonianians and even New Mexicoers LIKE texas and Texans so I have been persuaded to alter my route to see MORE of the State, despite the advice I have been given on here (and by the rest of the people I have met everywhere else in America!).

I won't put it all up, but the Texas part of my journey is now:

AUSTIN

Anyone want that cup of Tea?
milk, no sugar.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 1:47 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!

That's quite a big trip - and as others have said, a lot of miles. I know others have mentioned you should be OK visiting for that length, but just confirming I had a friend recently visit me (she left yesterday) and she was over for the full 90 days. She's got quite an extensive history visiting the USA and CBP let her in without any issues. She visited NYC, LA, Nashville, New Orleans before heading to Toronto/Vancouver and then back to London.

Anyhoo back on track - Are you still visiting Utah? I seriously recommend Arches national park, but its in the north of the state at Moab - its stunning and the hike to the delicate arch is worth it (I visited just before sunset). It's also nearish to Park city (where the sunset film festival takes place), which is also very pretty with lots to do.
Old Aug 31st 2016, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

I'm not going to be in Utah after all I'm afraid.... Plans changed and now I am in Lubbock, Texas, looking for somewhere to stay in Abilene for a few days, the Austin for a few more before Victoria for yet two more, then it's anti=clockwise back along the coast to Orlando.

All the towns I listed are not places I want to go TO - they are just destinations for my sat nav so it takes me along a certain route by the way...
Old Sep 1st 2016, 1:23 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
I seriously recommend Arches national park, but its in the north of the state at Moab - its stunning and the hike to the delicate arch is worth it (I visited just before sunset). It's also nearish to Park city (where the sunset film festival takes place), which is also very pretty with lots to do.
😂 It's in the south of the state, and quite a way from Park City. However, IMO, anyone who does a cross-country road trip without Utah is doing it wrong. 😂
Old Sep 1st 2016, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

Tell me about it AdobePinon! I have also been castigated (b*llocked!) for not doing Boston, Yellowstone, Chicago, New York, ........ The list goes on, but I can't? In three months in a country the size of the States, you have to turn left or right and either way, you;re going to miss something....

Nest time, eh?
Old Sep 1st 2016, 2:43 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Tell me about it AdobePinon! I have also been castigated (b*llocked!) for not doing Boston, Yellowstone, Chicago, New York, ........ The list goes on, but I can't? In three months in a country the size of the States, you have to turn left or right and either way, you;re going to miss something....

Nest time, eh?
I'm pretty sure that was when you were concerned that you were going to be finishing up too soon

How did you like Lubbock? I visited once and it put me off Texas for life.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

It rains!

Heavily!

They have no drainage system!

But they've "got" Buddy Holly! Two days and I'm moving on! I just hope the rest of Texas doesn't have rain like this!

And yes, I was worried about getting back too soon but that still wouldn't have let me "turn left AND right" (so to speak) and anyway, the latest plan is to go down through the Keys again if I have time! I LIKE the Keys, especially "West" nad it's "colourful" people!
Old Sep 1st 2016, 3:07 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

It rains!

Heavily!

I don't think they're used to it - it's a bit like the trains in the UK grinding to a halt at the first whiff of the wrong kind of snow.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 3:10 am
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Wintersong
I'm pretty sure that was when you were concerned that you were going to be finishing up too soon

How did you like Lubbock? I visited once and it put me off Texas for life.
Yeah, I used to threaten my kids with sending them there for college if they annoyed me.

5 hours from absolutely anywhere.... no wonder the college kids had an outbreak of gonorrhea last year.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 4:47 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

It rains!

Heavily!

But they've "got" Buddy Holly! Two days and I'm moving on! I just hope the rest of Texas doesn't have rain like this!
Well, you're here in the monsoon season. But it's gotta dry out again some time.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

jambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
Hi!

That's quite a big trip - and as others have said, a lot of miles. I know others have mentioned you should be OK visiting for that length, but just confirming I had a friend recently visit me (she left yesterday) and she was over for the full 90 days. She's got quite an extensive history visiting the USA and CBP let her in without any issues. She visited NYC, LA, Nashville, New Orleans before heading to Toronto/Vancouver and then back to London.

Anyhoo back on track - Are you still visiting Utah? I seriously recommend Arches national park, but its in the north of the state at Moab - its stunning and the hike to the delicate arch is worth it (I visited just before sunset). It's also nearish to Park city (where the sunset film festival takes place), which is also very pretty with lots to do.
Ah, Park City. I have some great memories of many a weekend spent there when I worked at camp as a counsellor in 2012. Park City is such a beautiful little place!

I would also have recommended visiting Zion national park for a weekend of hiking through the canyons, it's like something else altogether!
Old Sep 1st 2016, 12:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

It rains!

Heavily!

And yes, I was worried about getting back too soon but that still wouldn't have let me "turn left AND right" (so to speak) and anyway, the latest plan is to go down through the Keys again if I have time! I LIKE the Keys, especially "West" nad it's "colourful" people!
Originally Posted by Wintersong
I don't think they're used to it - it's a bit like the trains in the UK grinding to a halt at the first whiff of the wrong kind of snow.

It's tropical storm season and heading to the Texas gulf area and then on to Florida you will probably hit more than just rain in the next few weeks.

Look at the weather maps...tropical storms and hurricanes are popping up all over.

Texas is used to rain, we have flooding all the time. If things grind to a halt because of it then it is usually a safety issue. Better to be safe than drown!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.