Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Free Credit Score

Free Credit Score

Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:43 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free Credit Score

Originally Posted by meauxna
Are you sure? AnnualCreditReport.com should be the totally free service.

AnnualCreditReport.com provides consumers with the secure means to request and obtain a free credit report once every 12 months from each of the three nationwide consumer credit reporting companies in accordance with the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACT Act).

I mean, they (the Big 3) were forced by law to have to provide us this info, right...?
They don't owe you a free credit score though.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:56 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Longy
I think it provides a report, but not the score unless you pay.
Originally Posted by AdobePinon
They don't owe you a free credit score though.
Got the distinction now..
Nothing good is free anymore, is it?! thx for the correction guys.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Warning about www.freecreditreport.com - check google for reviews. Even if you call to cancel, they keep charging your credit card and give you a REALLY hard time trying to get it cancelled and get a refund. They charged me 2 x $14.95 and I had to call 5 times to get both charges refunded (I had cancelled before the charges were meant to start). Caveat emptor!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:22 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

At last I just got of the phone as I could not find how to cancel myfico.com anyway if anyone is interested they told me that your Fico score is used more inconjunction with Mortgages etc.
And also as Longy and others have said every company compiles thier details differentaly, ie a Plus score or an Average espcially when it come's to buying property.

I think it depends on what you want from you service, I cancelled the myfico account and kept the Experian because I know that its more popular and my company use's it also nearly every other business I have worked for in the US.

If anyone wants to get a monthly score and tracking of it then..
Experian is now offering a full service for $7.48 month to month but you gotta call them and ask for it.
Myfico.com is charging $8.45 but you have to do a 3 month minimum.

Oh for the OP my credit score was the same on both sites but having said that myfico gave the added detail of "Length of Credit History Not Good"....everything else was good or great.

Last edited by Poppy girl; Feb 5th 2009 at 12:24 am.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I think it depends on what you want from you service, I cancelled the myfico account and kept the Experian because I know that its more popular and my company use's it also nearly every other business I have worked for in the US.
I don't get this. I have never heard of anyone using Plus scores for credit.

I think you mean most people use scores based on your Experian report. But it would still not be the same as what you are pulling from the Experian site as they use a different formula to Fair Isaac.

However if you just want to check your report regularly then this is fine, but if you are aiming for a certain score you can't rely on it.

Last edited by Longy; Feb 5th 2009 at 12:35 am.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:14 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get this. I have never heard of anyone using Plus scores for credit.

I think you mean most people use scores based on your Experian report. But it would still not be the same as what you are pulling from the Experian site as they use a different formula to Fair Isaac.

However if you just want to check your report regularly then this is fine, but if you are aiming for a certain score you can't rely on it.
LOL I was scribling notes as I went along so in regards to the Plus scores maybe I did hear it wrong!

And on the Experian side all I know is my Head office use's Experian to find individuals reports......as have my past 2 other employers.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
LOL I was scribling notes as I went along so in regards to the Plus scores maybe I did hear it wrong!

And on the Experian side all I know is my Head office use's Experian to find individuals reports......as have my past 2 other employers.
I guess as long as you can see there is nothing bad on the report you know that score will probably be pretty good. If you have triple advantage then you are getting alerts off all 3 agencies as well. This is adequate to guard against identity theft.

Just remember if you are ever aiming for a particular score before applying for a loan or mortgage that you can't necessarily trust the score they give you.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:38 am

I guess as long as you can see there is nothing bad on the report you know that score will probably be pretty good. If you have triple advantage then you are getting alerts off all 3 agencies as well. This is adequate to guard against identity theft.

Just remember if you are ever aiming for a particular score before applying for a loan or mortgage that you can't necessarily trust the score they give you.
Thank you

Mine is more to keep a check on the ex to make sure he is not up to no good lol
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
Warning about www.freecreditreport.com - check google for reviews. Even if you call to cancel, they keep charging your credit card and give you a REALLY hard time trying to get it cancelled and get a refund. They charged me 2 x $14.95 and I had to call 5 times to get both charges refunded (I had cancelled before the charges were meant to start). Caveat emptor!
Hence why I thought this Credit Karma site was pretty good. FICO, FAKO, all the rest of that crap aside - I think it at least gives you some sort of benchmark which you can track up and down without getting bait'n'switched as above here.

Last edited by Dan725; Feb 5th 2009 at 1:02 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah that is the same as freecreditreport - also known as triple advantage.

For a mortgage they would probably pull all 3 - this would mean getting your FICO score based on all three companies reports. The score would be calculated by Fair Isaac based on these reports.

Getting a FAKO from somewhere else they would pull the same report, but the formula they use to calculate your score would be different - this could mean quite a large difference.
The integrity of the Fair Isaac standard seems to be in doubt for the future.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/05/yo...l?ref=business
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dan725
The integrity of the Fair Isaac standard seems to be in doubt for the future.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/05/yo...l?ref=business
Not sure that will change anything - its just Experian trying to sell their products and they obviously feel they can do this better by not allowing myfico to sell their score.

As the article said lenders can still get the fico score for Experian.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 3:42 pm
Texas Pete

pwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nice

Originally Posted by pwhite8314
The site is safe, just google for reviews and there's loads, or look here http://www.creditkarma.com/about/press

anyway, I've only been in the US since last June, and apparently have a rating, according to this site, of 762. Seems good, too good in fact after such a short time? I've had a bank account since last December, and I used the Global transfer on Amex, but even so, it still seems high to me (not that I'm complaining).
Just to round this off, I just got a full credit score (via Wells Fargo, as I'm discussing a mortgage with them) of 755, so the data on CreditKarma is a fairly good indicator, at least, it was for me.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 5:10 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Not sure if this has been mentioned on here or not.

There is a site Credit Karma http://www.creditkarma.com/ that gives you a free credit score for nowt, rather than the bait and switch free but must cancel within 30 day jobbies.

As I understand it, it gives you your transunion score:

http://newsroom.transunion.com/index.php?s=43&item=500

Very easy to sign up and get a score. Obviously, it doesn't give you your scores from the 3 bureaus, but a useful benchmark I think and it costs nowt.

Seemed to be accurate enough for me, anyone else had a go?

You know you can get a freebie from the "big 3" ones, once a year right?
You can space them out too, so that you do one of them every 4 months.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
You know you can get a freebie from the "big 3" ones, once a year right?
You can space them out too, so that you do one of them every 4 months.
EFl, you can get a freebie of your credit report every year, but you cannot get your credit score from that report (it's simply not provided). I not only want to see my report, I want to know my score - without having to shell out my credit card info. I believe this creditkarma site does not require you to pay for it, which is quite nice of them.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 6:10 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
EFl, you can get a freebie of your credit report every year, but you cannot get your credit score from that report (it's simply not provided). I not only want to see my report, I want to know my score - without having to shell out my credit card info. I believe this creditkarma site does not require you to pay for it, which is quite nice of them.
Hey sunflr,

Yeah sorry, I stand corrected there.
I misread what the Dan was meaning in the post, and of course you're absolutely right, score and report are very different things.

Right again too, it IS nice of them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.