British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Free cable (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/free-cable-432014/)

Silly Sod Mar 4th 2007 12:31 am

Free cable

Woo hooooo. I knew if we waited the barstools out we'd win. Charter have just given us expanded basic cable for free for the first six months with no hidden costs or obligation after the trail period.

Not really being big TV people, but rather a pair of netheads (obviously), we weren't prepared to pay 99 bucks a month just to watch the news - which is just about the only thing I ever watch, being a bit of a news junkie.

But, now they are giving it to us for free I am not complaining. Well, actually, I am!!!! My buddy in Alabama has the same package and he gets Fox Soccer Channel for free. I called them today and asked if we could have it for free and they said no chance. They have different free channels in different parts of the US. If we wanted to get the soccer channel we would have to pay 84 dollars a month. So sod that.

There is a guy in a local bar who reckons he can hook us up to all the channels for 50 dollars. He also reckons he is in the CIA though and was once married to Marilyn Monroe so I think I will hang onto my nifty for now!

Anyway, if any of you out there are paying for basic expanded cable, change to Charter and get it free for a bit. Don't get the phone though, it is a rip off. Vonage offer free local, international and free calls to the UK anytime for 30 a month including tax. I dont work for either of these companys by the way.

Bob Mar 4th 2007 12:43 am

Re: Free cable

hacking your way into free cable on the dodge is a federal offence...but it's a lot easier to do on the on old analogue signal, just use a filter clip...bit tough now...

but I hear ya on shite deals, it was utter phish up where we lived in Maine....far better now.

Jerseygirl Mar 4th 2007 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 4479060)
Woo hooooo. I knew if we waited the barstools out we'd win. Charter have just given us expanded basic cable for free for the first six months with no hidden costs or obligation after the trail period.

Not really being big TV people, but rather a pair of netheads (obviously), we weren't prepared to pay 99 bucks a month just to watch the news - which is just about the only thing I ever watch, being a bit of a news junkie.

But, now they are giving it to us for free I am not complaining. Well, actually, I am!!!! My buddy in Alabama has the same package and he gets Fox Soccer Channel for free. I called them today and asked if we could have it for free and they said no chance. They have different free channels in different parts of the US. If we wanted to get the soccer channel we would have to pay 84 dollars a month. So sod that.

There is a guy in a local bar who reckons he can hook us up to all the channels for 50 dollars. He also reckons he is in the CIA though and was once married to Marilyn Monroe so I think I will hang onto my nifty for now!

Anyway, if any of you out there are paying for basic expanded cable, change to Charter and get it free for a bit. Don't get the phone though, it is a rip off. Vonage offer free local, international and free calls to the UK anytime for 30 a month including tax. I dont work for either of these companys by the way.

We have a choice of one cable company around here...reckon someone's palm is being greased.:ohmy:

AdobePinon Mar 4th 2007 2:44 am

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 4479060)
for free for the first six months with no hidden costs or obligation after the trail period.

I expect a post in six months telling us of the great joy you experienced when you tried to cancel. :rofl:

Silly Sod Mar 4th 2007 2:46 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4479105)
hacking your way into free cable on the dodge is a federal offence...but it's a lot easier to do on the on old analogue signal, just use a filter clip...bit tough now...

but I hear ya on shite deals, it was utter phish up where we lived in Maine....far better now.

Federal offence or not, extra cable channels is more a punishment than a pleasure. We are currently watching a vid from the library. It is much better than watching endless ad's for drugs that have more side effects than benefits and old Eddie Murphy movies (though 48 Hours is a classic). The free package is okay for keeping our little girl happy with cartoons for an hour or so after school, and we do get news and doco's (love a good doco), but I don't think I could cope with 400 hundred channels of mind numbing crap.

Silly Sod Mar 4th 2007 2:54 am

Originally Posted by AdobePinon (Post 4479369)
I expect a post in six months telling us of the great joy you experienced when you tried to cancel. :rofl:

Oh cynical you!!! Are you suggesting that the cable company would mislead us? In the land of he free!!??!!! Surely not. That said, if I aint got it they can't have it. They could sue me for my 90 dollar walmart guitar I suppose. That would make my wife more than happy :)

Ray Mar 4th 2007 3:13 am

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 4479378)
Oh cynical you!!! Are you suggesting that the cable company would mislead us? In the land of he free!!??!!! Surely not. That said, if I aint got it they can't have it. They could sue me for my 90 dollar walmart guitar I suppose. That would make my wife more than happy :)

Liens is the name of the game ...

Paul S Mar 4th 2007 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4479338)
We have a choice of one cable company around here...reckon someone's palm is being greased.:ohmy:

yeah likewise here. Unfortunately Time Warner haven't been able to send a correct bill since November:mad: They are flippin useless. Come spring I think we will be moving to Directv. Unfortunately we have to keep TW for the cable internet as there's no-one else in our area (unless we want to go to DSL, and thats just not happening:blink: )

penguinsix Mar 4th 2007 12:58 pm

Fox Soccer channel is only a few bucks a month, and if you get a c-band satellite dish, you can (sometimes) pick up Setanta's backhaul to the US (with some of their matches).

cabritpop Mar 4th 2007 1:34 pm

Free Cable = Not worth it = Felony! = Possible ass rape just for being able to watch Oprah and the Soprano's for free. Sod that for a laugh.:lol:

Deedee13 Mar 4th 2007 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by cabritpop (Post 4480590)
Free Cable = Not worth it = Felony! = Possible ass rape just for being able to watch Oprah and the Soprano's for free. Sod that for a laugh.:lol:

well i would love a tv guide!!! but where the hell do i get one??? Apart from the sunday papers. I seem to never find it in amongst the coupons.

BBC America and law and order, that is my lot. But bbc america if i see another add for soccer wives - talk about ramming it down ones throat - literally....

cabritpop Mar 4th 2007 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Deedee13 (Post 4480617)
well i would love a tv guide!!! but where the hell do i get one??? Apart from the sunday papers. I seem to never find it in amongst the coupons.

BBC America and law and order, that is my lot. But bbc america if i see another add for soccer wives - talk about ramming it down ones throat - literally....

You can subscribe to the TV Guide magazine or try here http://tvlistings.zap2it.com

mozoo Mar 4th 2007 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Paul S (Post 4480449)
yeah likewise here. Unfortunately Time Warner haven't been able to send a correct bill since November:mad: They are flippin useless. Come spring I think we will be moving to Directv. Unfortunately we have to keep TW for the cable internet as there's no-one else in our area (unless we want to go to DSL, and thats just not happening:blink: )

Are AT&T Yahoo in your area at all? If so, you may be able to get your broadband, DishTV, etc through them.

Molly Malone Mar 4th 2007 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 4480533)
Fox Soccer channel is only a few bucks a month, and if you get a c-band satellite dish, you can (sometimes) pick up Setanta's backhaul to the US (with some of their matches).

Ooh, how do you do it? I've been searching around online at DirectTV and Dish Network. We can't get a satellite here (without paying a huge deposit and securing $100,000 of insurance for it) so we're looking at getting one for the new house. FA cup will be over by then though I think!

Charter really did say it would be an extra $84/mo to get Fox Soccer. It's because you have to buy the entire sports package to get it. On DirectTV, you can get the base package with all the local channels, plus 40 "family" channels, for $30/mo, and add Setanta Sports (which looks very cool) for an extra $15. On Dish, they don't offer Setanta but for $52.99/mo you can get the Top 250 with Fox Soccer and you get BBC America which isn't included in the Direct TV base package. I can't decide if $8 extra is worth it for BBC, because I've looked at the TV listings and the only thing worth watching is the news. I mean, Benny Hill is on non-stop. The rest is just DIY and home improvement shows that are on HGTV anyway. Why don't they play more of what is on right now in Britain, instead of what was on like 30 years ago??

I guess we'll probably just go with Direct TV, that Setanta Sports looks really cool (I love English football! It's the only sport I even watch - well, sometimes hockey).

Bob Mar 4th 2007 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Deedee13 (Post 4480617)

free guides all over the internet, and those cheap crap magazines next to all the other shite magazines by the check out in grocery stores...