Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Free Bank Account for L2 Spouse?

Free Bank Account for L2 Spouse?

Old Feb 19th 2020, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free Bank Account for L2 Spouse?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There are a number of possible theories and explanations, bank policy or staff ignorance, as I mentioned above, or lack of experience of opening accounts for new immigrants, a bad experience (being critized for opening an account without an SSN) after opening accounts for new immigrants, just wanting an easy life despite the bank having procedures that would allow an account to be opened, etc.
Yes. Some told me it was definitely forbidden by their own internal policies, with great, certain and convincing conviction. Chase being one as I recall. Whether that is just plain wrong I don’t know, water under the bridge now I guess. But the message remains, if at first you don’t succeed try and try again. You might also hit a good one first time around, maybe I was unlucky,
Old Feb 22nd 2020, 6:46 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I'm getting déjà vu here.
I don't know how many times I have posted this but with Chase the issue is NOT lack of SSN, it is lack of proof of address. The Federal regulations are the lowest standard required, Chase has raised their requirements and it has nothing to do with whether the clerk /supervisor or manager is dealing with the application. It is whether they can tick the boxes on the screen in front of them and these days there is almost NO discretion permitted. Although I suspect if you turned up with a couple of million to deposit, they'd figure it out somehow.
Old Feb 24th 2020, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I'm getting déjà vu here.
I don't know how many times I have posted this but with Chase the issue is NOT lack of SSN, it is lack of proof of address. The Federal regulations are the lowest standard required, Chase has raised their requirements and it has nothing to do with whether the clerk /supervisor or manager is dealing with the application. It is whether they can tick the boxes on the screen in front of them and these days there is almost NO discretion permitted. Although I suspect if you turned up with a couple of million to deposit, they'd figure it out somehow.
It seems it depends exactly where you go and who you speak to, chase kicked up a fuss over SSN when I went, I just moved on quickly,
However, I did NOT have trouble with address, I gave US work address and explained why, along with my Uk address. As a temporary measure that was fine. Regular account opened, no special forms, funny accounts or changes later on.

I guess the bottom line is you have to go speak to the banks. But some are better than others. For chase I have zero regrets I didn’t open an account with them, there are better banks.
Old Feb 28th 2020, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC Premier accounts are also free for your spouse, contact your account manager.
Old Feb 29th 2020, 4:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There is no law or regulation in the US that requires you to have an SSN to open a non-interest earning bank account, although some banks might set their own requirement, and obviously most people in the US do have an SSN. The only requirement, as specified in the USA PATRIOT Act, is that banks much obtain and verify four pieces of information to open an account for a new customer - name, date of birth, address, and "a government issued ID number" - while an SSN is the easiest way for most people to meet the last requirement, not only is an SSN not necessary, the "government issued" requirement does not specify that it must be the US government, in other words a non-US passport number meets the requirement, as do other government issued documents which include unique identifying numbers, such as a driving license, a Mexican Matricula Consular card, etc.
The government ID, for most westerners aren't a problem, but some forms can be. Guatemalan passport and Brazilian drivers license, are often rejected because they're so easy to forge.

Originally Posted by LouisB
TD bank opened me an account without ssn, so long as you can meet their min balance you can also get free banking and atm fees refunded too. Another option.....
Refunds to atm's out of network is being phrased out for new accounts, it's grandfathered in for old accounts.

Originally Posted by LouisB
While SSN not required for checking accounts (is for savings) I actually got turned away from several banks and the big ones before TD agreed. I think it depends to a degree on the manager. Not initially having a US residential address doesn’t help either, or any other US ID, like a catch-22. But you will get one opened, just try a few and explain the situation...
Proof of address in the US, easiest way, even if it's a temporary address, is to mail a postcard to that address with your name on it. Post is a federal service and that fulfills that requirement, which is usually much quicker than faffing around with a utility bill.

As for the bank software saying no...I knew the guy who did the software for one of the large banks. It was only ever meant to be a demo for new features but once it worked to cover the basics, they binned the rest of the work, or any further testing, so things like foreign passport numbers or a lack of SSN caused the software to loop out to the start and fail. It's why some stuff has to be done manually, usually from a supervisor. The software was licensed out to several other banks, who may or may not have tried to fix it.