Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Freaking Out over Getting a Car

Freaking Out over Getting a Car

Old Jan 13th 2014, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freaking Out over Getting a Car

Buying a car isn't the only issue. You also have to obtain a CA driving license (within 10 days) and affordable insurance. Affordable insurance might be difficult given your age and lack of history in the US.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 12:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Buying a car isn't the only issue. You also have to obtain a CA driving license (within 10 days) .....
Which is completely impractical for anyone reqd to take a road test, but you at least need to be able to show you have made a start.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

aardvark is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys. I understand that. I also understand I can't really apply for my ssn until after 10 days, which I need to apply for the license. I've got the handbook to read on my plane journey over so hopefully the theory will be covered...
Old Jan 13th 2014, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aardvark
Thanks guys. I understand that. I also understand I can't really apply for my ssn until after 10 days, which I need to apply for the license. I've got the handbook to read on my plane journey over so hopefully the theory will be covered...
Not necessarily:

http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/app...-to-California

Non-Citizens and CA Driver's Licenses
You will follow the same license application process as described above, paying close attention to:

Your Social Security number*. The DMV might waive this if BOTH of the following apply to you:
- You are not authorized to work in the country or are otherwise ineligible.
- You can provide an acceptable birth date/legal presence (BD/LP) document.

Your birth date/legal presence (BD/LP) document.
This document shows your birth date and legal presence in the country.
The DMV verifies this document with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
The state provides a full list of documents, but examples include:
- Employment Authorization Card.
- Valid I-94.
- Temporary Resident Identification Card.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 1:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You can apply for your SSN sooner than ten days. ..... I don't remember the details now, but you can get the number direct from the SSA office after a few days, if I remember correctly.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you enjoy your time while in the OC it can and will be an amazing adventure . Despite being a car culture and everything so spread out there is pretty decent Public transport available.

http://www.metrolinktrains.com/routes/

http://www.octa.net/Bus-Transit/System-Map/

I have used all forms of Public transport while living all over various parts of So. Cal. I generally used the time reading the paper and drinking my Coffee on the way to work, met some Fun people and discovered areas I never would have known existed. Life is an adventure as you already know, Have fun and enjoy, it sounds like you already have a good support system in place, so huge hurdle already overcome. Good luck, I look forward to your updates.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

MarylandNed - as far as I understand neither of those apply to me? I am authorised to work as a student trainee on the J-1 and will have a DS-2019 as my equivalent document. Am I correct here?

Pulsaki, I did not know that! I had seen advise against it as it could delay your SSN for up to 6 weeks. Is this not the case anymore? I can't see anything on the wiki about it... (sorry!)

And thanks Oregon4now - I have looked into the OctaBus and it's pretty slow... but not the worst. However, if I'm here for 18 months I'd love the freedom a car would give me as I might as well make the most of my trip to the USA! I'm used to public transport as I've been all over the UK without a car but definitely a good option and maybe even an alternative to driving in LA? Hehe!
Old Jan 14th 2014, 12:03 am

.... Pulaski, I did not know that! I had seen advise against it as it could delay your SSN for up to 6 weeks. Is this not the case anymore? I can't see anything on the wiki about it... (sorry!) ....
I'm not sure now, I don't think it took me that long, but I found this advice (part way down) over on the marriage visa sub-board that appears consistent with what you've heard. You could try asking a new question just on obtaining an SSN
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

Danoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Then, is it worth getting a more expensive lease car, if I can manage to get it on finance? I don't know what an alternative would be...

Thanks again.
AIG have an inbound program that specialize in Expats coming to the US. They can offer a number of services including insurance, as well as referrals to other services like credit etc... We have gotten our car insurance, renters insurance through them at what seem to be competitive prices, and used some of their other research and referral services. But this does come at a $400 joining fee. One thing we found that is worth noting is that Credit Unions operate under different regulations to banks here in the US, as a result they are not as constrained with regards to offering financial products. if you are after a loan or a credit card, they may be able to assist you. They will use your visa and job offer letter to work out what it is they can do for you. We used Advancial Federal Credit Union. They have a lot of British expats on their books apparently.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed - as far as I understand neither of those apply to me? I am authorised to work as a student trainee on the J-1 and will have a DS-2019 as my equivalent document. Am I correct here?
Yeah I think you're right. Sorry.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

Danoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Not necessarily:

http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/app...-to-California

Non-Citizens and CA Driver's Licenses
You will follow the same license application process as described above, paying close attention to:

Your Social Security number*. The DMV might waive this if BOTH of the following apply to you:
- You are not authorized to work in the country or are otherwise ineligible.
- You can provide an acceptable birth date/legal presence (BD/LP) document.

Your birth date/legal presence (BD/LP) document.
This document shows your birth date and legal presence in the country.
The DMV verifies this document with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
The state provides a full list of documents, but examples include:
- Employment Authorization Card.
- Valid I-94.
- Temporary Resident Identification Card.
i gave the DMV a call the other day to find out whether I needed a SSN in order to go for my license test and exam. They indicated that this is not needed and could use your visa_id and the other data requirements (two forms of ID for address).

Vehicle registration also does not require a SSN or native licence. I registered my car again using my visa. All I am required to do is update the DMV once I do get my license to link my reg and license number.

Please note my experiences are in Florida. So not sure how different this may be.

Last edited by Danoz; Jan 14th 2014 at 1:31 am.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 5:41 am
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice

I took my written and practical CA test without a SSN, thinking I wasn't entitled! You only have to take the written to be issued a temporary which buys you more time. Turns out because I can apply for EAD I was entitled to SSN so I had to get one before they would is due me a full license.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the move tomorrow, hope it all works out for you
Old Jan 17th 2014, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with today's move! I'm so jealous - wish we were escaping this ghastly weather now rather than in six months!! Hope you have a great first weekend in CA!
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Just an update to say I'm out here and boy is it crazy! Loving it so far though, but phoning the folks is tough!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.