Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fraternal Order of Police

Old Feb 12th 2005, 8:58 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fraternal Order of Police

I know there was a thread on this a while back, but I couldn't find it to bump it up.

The FOP is an organization (note I did not say charity) that supposedly takes care of the families of police killed in the line of duty, etc. Anyway, I contributed to the North Carolina FOP shortly after arriving here, thinking that police need supporting and I couldn't ever do the job they do.

Well ever since, "they" (FOP, or so I thought) call me every 3 months for their "Spring Fund Drive", "Summer Fund Drive", etc. As others have commented, they're relentless.

Last time this topic came up, I was put onto a Web site (bit like http://www.give.org/ except for US charities). Well, of course it truns out the NC FOP does not report how much they give to charity of all donations.

So, I asked the guy "What percentage of FOP donations actually goes to the intended recipients?" (Hold on to your hats): TEN PERCENT!!!! Couldn't bloody believe it.

Not only that but with further prying it truns out he doesn't even work for FOP! He works for a company that makes money by soliciting donations to "charities" - so they take a cut of my donation too. Unbelievable - for every $100 of my hard-earned money, $90 goes to God knows who. I've heard rumors that the "administrators" of the FOP go on lovely vacations (sorry, "business trips"), and now I am beginning to believe it.

I will never donate to FOP again. And I'll be calling the Better Business Bureau on Monday. Bloody cheek!
Old Feb 12th 2005, 9:07 pm
Franklin

Default Re: Fraternal Order of Police

Originally Posted by dunroving
I know there was a thread on this a while back, but I couldn't find it to bump it up.

The FOP is an organization (note I did not say charity) that supposedly takes care of the families of police killed in the line of duty, etc. Anyway, I contributed to the North Carolina FOP shortly after arriving here, thinking that police need supporting and I couldn't ever do the job they do.

Well ever since, "they" (FOP, or so I thought) call me every 3 months for their "Spring Fund Drive", "Summer Fund Drive", etc. As others have commented, they're relentless.

Last time this topic came up, I was put onto a Web site (bit like http://www.give.org/ except for US charities). Well, of course it truns out the NC FOP does not report how much they give to charity of all donations.

So, I asked the guy "What percentage of FOP donations actually goes to the intended recipients?" (Hold on to your hats): TEN PERCENT!!!! Couldn't bloody believe it.

Not only that but with further prying it truns out he doesn't even work for FOP! He works for a company that makes money by soliciting donations to "charities" - so they take a cut of my donation too. Unbelievable - for every $100 of my hard-earned money, $90 goes to God knows who. I've heard rumors that the "administrators" of the FOP go on lovely vacations (sorry, "business trips"), and now I am beginning to believe it.

I will never donate to FOP again. And I'll be calling the Better Business Bureau on Monday. Bloody cheek!
I had lots of similar calls about supporting Firemen. Honestly, it sounded like a scam. The local fire-station has charity events, the firemen and women go in the street and stand near red lights wearing their uniforms and have buckets to collect money (that's when I give them some money), but not to someone on the end of a cold call who is probably working for commission.

Old Feb 12th 2005, 9:10 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Charities are often a poor deal. You may recall that a couple of years ago, it was revealed that the CEO of the San Diego chapter of American Red Cross (Dodie Rotherman) made an annual salary of $309,000. Now I have no problem with charity workers being paid a fair wage, but $300k is a little ridiculous.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Charities are often a poor deal. You may recall that a couple of years ago, it was revealed that the CEO of the San Diego chapter of American Red Cross (Dodie Rotherman) made an annual salary of $309,000. Now I have no problem with charity workers being paid a fair wage, but $300k is a little ridiculous.
There was a case of an Area/State manager for United Way getting something like the same salary in Wisconsin(?). Came to light they caught with their fingers in the till.
The FOP calls regularly but when I tell them my stepson is a policeman, they are gone very quickly.
There are plenty of local organistions in every locality that would appreciate $100.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 12:32 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
There was a case of an Area/State manager for United Way getting something like the same salary in Wisconsin(?). Came to light they caught with their fingers in the till.
The FOP calls regularly but when I tell them my stepson is a policeman, they are gone very quickly.
There are plenty of local organistions in every locality that would appreciate $100.
I always tell ANY telephone solicitation that they are more then welcome to send me an information pack (I never give the address) and that as they represen the Police/Firemen etc they must understand how unsafe it is to give money to strangers on the telephone.

These calls are always scams. The real Police benevolent associations don't do it.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 1:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Franklin
I had lots of similar calls about supporting Firemen. Honestly, it sounded like a scam. The local fire-station has charity events, the firemen and women go in the street and stand near red lights wearing their uniforms and have buckets to collect money (that's when I give them some money), but not to someone on the end of a cold call who is probably working for commission.

We are riddled with them and get calls from:

Police Benevolent Association

State Police Association

Firefighters Association

Police Athletic Association

Like a fool I use to always donate and then when I married Jim he would donate. Until .... we got a letter from the New York State Attorney General requesting information from us on the number of calls we get per month, the amount of contributions we make per month, etc. Right there and then, I politely but firmly, say I'm not donating any longer and hang up.

Rita
Old Feb 14th 2005, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
I always tell ANY telephone solicitation that they are more then welcome to send me an information pack (I never give the address) and that as they represen the Police/Firemen etc they must understand how unsafe it is to give money to strangers on the telephone.

These calls are always scams. The real Police benevolent associations don't do it.

You are very patient Terrance. I just hang the phone straight up on any unsolicited fools. Doesnt matter what they are selling/asking for.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

I had one woman constantly phoning from some charity or other and always told her No.
About the 5th time I let her waffle on and then said
"What are you wearing" ?
She soon put the phone down and never called again.
I was waiting for a knock on my door from the POlice accusing me of being a pervert, but it never came.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 4:48 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe

That's what I ask for too and also mention that I will contact them if I'm interested.

NC Penguin
Old Feb 15th 2005, 6:26 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
That's what I ask for too and also mention that I will contact them if I'm interested.
I always like this approach because they almost always tell you that "they are not allowed to send you an information packet" at which point I respond, "Your loss!" and hang up.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:50 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by dunroving

They must have sent you their car window cling. It will surely save you from getting traffic tickets when you are stopped.

I got a marketing call and i told them I only donate to charities I know about. So they sent me a bundle of literature. I saved the car sticker but i'm yet to put it into good use.