British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Frankfurt - anyone transferred thro it? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/frankfurt-anyone-transferred-thro-747217/)

CAdreaming Feb 2nd 2012 11:26 pm

Frankfurt - anyone transferred thro it?

Im off back to UK in early march - this time got a reasonable flight from Northern California to Manchester (then will take direct train to M/bro)

Eureka to Sanfran to Frankfurt to Manchester

Anyone been via Frankfurt please - what's the airport like?

I only have 1 1/4 hours in between flights so not much time (only have to get off one plane and onto the next one tho - I will be checked all the way)7

Thanks!

cindyabs Feb 3rd 2012 1:00 am

Re: Frankfurt - anyone transferred thro it?

Originally Posted by CAdreaming (Post 9881223)
Im off back to UK in early march - this time got a reasonable flight from Northern California to Manchester (then will take direct train to M/bro)

Eureka to Sanfran to Frankfurt to Manchester

Anyone been via Frankfurt please - what's the airport like?

I only have 1 1/4 hours in between flights so not much time (only have to get off one plane and onto the next one tho - I will be checked all the way)7

Thanks!

Several times, not one of my favorite airports. Ugly. Don't think I've ever had a jetway there.

tonrob Feb 3rd 2012 1:34 am

Used FRA several times. Big with below average signage. Had to queue for security again whilst changing. I'd be studying an airport map ahead of time with a shorter connection just to get the lay of the land. Whilst gates can and do change, Flightstats will allow you to get a feel for what's normal.

HarryTheSpider Feb 3rd 2012 1:46 am

You will almost certainly be queuing again for security. With a 75 minute window there's room for a cock up, so get straight through security when you deplane.

CAdreaming Feb 3rd 2012 1:46 am

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 9881306)
Several times, not one of my favorite airports. Ugly. Don't think I've ever had a jetway there.

thanks for the info sorry to be dopey but whats a jetway??

CAdreaming Feb 3rd 2012 1:47 am

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9881335)
Used FRA several times. Big with below average signage. Had to queue for security again whilst changing. I'd be studying an airport map ahead of time with a shorter connection just to get the lay of the land. Whilst gates can and do change, Flightstats will allow you to get a feel for what's normal.

thanks for the info - appreciated!!!

CAdreaming Feb 3rd 2012 1:47 am

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider (Post 9881347)
You will almost certainly be queuing again for security. With a 75 minute window there's room for a cock up, so get straight through security when you deplane.

I'll get my skates on!! Or my running shoes
much appreciated thanks!

Englishmum Feb 3rd 2012 2:20 am

Are you flying with one airline or transferring to another one at FRA?

I've had quite a lot of transfers through FRA, usually with Singapore Airlines from New York JFK to Singapore. It stops for refuelling and change of crew and PAX at Frankfurt and you re-board the same plane.

Even doing this has at times been a pain; sometimes the plane doesn't have a gate assigned and you have to get a bus to the terminal. At other times the plane has arrived at a gate but the passengers have to travel quite some distance through the terminal and on different levels and go through security again (with no signs on where to go....this was a major problem for some of the Chinese or other Asian passengers).

At some times I've been through FRA where the queues at security have been horrendously long and slow (with very bossy airport security staff to boot).

When my dad died I flew on Singapore Airlines from SIN to Birmingham airport via FRA. The Singapore Airlines flight departed an hour late and I missed my connection.....just as well as I was transferring to British Airways from the other terminal and you have to get a train. Fortunately they put me on a Lufthansa flight (the Star Alliance flights usually depart from the same terminals).

OTOH I've used the Senator lounge a few times at FRA and enjoyed a very nice shower which is most welcome when the total flight time has been 24 hours! :thumbup:

robin1234 Feb 3rd 2012 12:49 pm

I'll agree with others.. Frankfurt is dreadful. I've had connections there to & from Poland and Prague. For me, no jetways, i.e. bus from plane to terminal, signage completely unhelpful or absent, crowded, dirty toilets, and you have to go through security again. However, being Germany, the food options are superb and the coffee is top-notch, and staff as friendly & helpful as they can be in difficult circumstance..

Weeze Feb 3rd 2012 1:37 pm

Did you see Teesside is supposedly going to be declared bankrupt? Apparently there was something in the Northern Echo about it.

Maggs Feb 3rd 2012 1:59 pm

I'm also flying through Frankfurt in March, so all your comments are very useful! :)

robin1234 Feb 3rd 2012 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Weeze (Post 9882029)
Did you see Teesside is supposedly going to be declared bankrupt? Apparently there was something in the Northern Echo about it.

The whole of Teesside?

SultanOfSwing Feb 3rd 2012 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by CAdreaming (Post 9881349)
thanks for the info sorry to be dopey but whats a jetway??

The jetway is the walkway that leads from your gate to the plane. If you're lucky enough to get one, of course!

Englishmum Feb 3rd 2012 3:28 pm

Here's some info on transfer connections:

http://www.frankfurt-airport.com/con...n-flights.html

and the airport terminal map:

http://www.frankfurt-airport.com/con...minal_1_2.html

Hope this helps! :)

Weeze Feb 3rd 2012 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 9882067)
The whole of Teesside?

Well I did mean the airport, but Stockton and Middlesbrough should probably have been declared bankrupt some years ago;)