Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Framingham, Massachusetts

Framingham, Massachusetts

Old Apr 6th 2014, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

brit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Framingham, Massachusetts

Thanks for all the replies- some good advice on here!

I found a 2 bed apartment on the internet for $1400 called Sovereign Apartments I think, does anyone have an idea about the apartment? Rest all were (like another poster posted above) in the range between $1600-$2000 :O
We don't want to be spending too much as trying to save buying a house, but never knew apartment renting would be so expensive..

As for the tolls, living on the East Coast, we are quite used to them and do have an EZ Pass, so that shouldn't be a problem I think! And we are used to winters of course, but Summers nice too- better than living on the West Coast I think (which I don't fancy).

Please keep the suggestions coming- thanks!
Old Apr 6th 2014, 3:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If it's a condo complex, without credit history, you might struggle to get it, without putting down a big deposit, expect first and last plus anything from 1-3 months rent up front, plus potentially a months worth of fee as a realtor fee.

Where is the apartment? I don't know what most of them are called, but know folks who lived in a few.

If you've a EZP already, you dont' need a new transponder.

If you have plans on going to Boston much, get a Charlie Card, makes the T a lot easier and marginally cheaper.

Thing to look out for in Framingham, the roads are generally really shit in winter along Rt 9 and surrounds. The Pike is good. Rt 20 is mixed and Rt 30 is usually okay, but that's another car park in the morning.

Btw, $1600 was the subsidised poor housing for low income families in Northborough when we looked for a place a couple years ago and that was a 2 bed.
Old Apr 6th 2014, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If it's a condo complex, without credit history, you might struggle to get it, without putting down a big deposit, expect first and last plus anything from 1-3 months rent up front, plus potentially a months worth of fee as a realtor fee.

Where is the apartment? I don't know what most of them are called, but know folks who lived in a few.

If you've a EZP already, you dont' need a new transponder.

If you have plans on going to Boston much, get a Charlie Card, makes the T a lot easier and marginally cheaper.

Thing to look out for in Framingham, the roads are generally really shit in winter along Rt 9 and surrounds. The Pike is good. Rt 20 is mixed and Rt 30 is usually okay, but that's another car park in the morning.

Btw, $1600 was the subsidised poor housing for low income families in Northborough when we looked for a place a couple years ago and that was a 2 bed.

Reading all the info in this thread makes me glad I never took up that job offer I had in Framingham back in 2005!!
Old Apr 10th 2014, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Markoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant future

There are much nicer places than Framingham that are pretty close. As already mentioned, Wellesley, Natick, Needham, Newton etc. I'm not sure what you'd be looking at for a 2 bedroom place, but honestly - it'd be better than living in Framingham.

I played for their rugby team. They weren't (aren't) very good.

(I'd like to point out that they were better when I was playing for them )
Old Apr 10th 2014, 9:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Markoncarp

I played for their rugby team. They weren't (aren't) very good.

(I'd like to point out that they were better when I was playing for them )
You seen the Boston 13's club? I thought I read something happening in Brighton this summer?

As for metrowest and the rugby, the women are much better
Old Apr 10th 2014, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Markoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bob
You seen the Boston 13's club? I thought I read something happening in Brighton this summer?
I know of them, as a few of the High School Rugby coaches I have met are members.

I just joined Boston Rugby Club - they have an old boys team.

The rugby is better than the women?