Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Found a great lawyer...

Found a great lawyer...

Old Aug 31st 2004, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Found a great lawyer...

Met with him today, and certainly learned lots! He explained everythign about H1B and H3 and concluded that both were too much of a long shot....

So, that was the bad news. He then explained about legal residency/green card through labor certification and told me about a new system (called PERM I think?) that is about to be implemented around October 1st. Normally, in TN labor certifications are taking around a year, but this new system being implemented is hoping to process within 21 days, it's all done online.

He has talked with my employer, and they have agreed to hire him. All I had to pay was a $750 retainer and they are splitting the remainder of the cost with me, I can pay my share in monthly instalments, interest free over 18 months! So, basically my job will be advertised, (the atty will compile the ad) and the applications will be assessed etc., and they can be refused on a number of reasons. Once that process has been done, he will fiel the LCA and he is hopeful to have a response by spring, and a work permit, then he explained the stages that follow that... I think most of it went over my head by that point I was on information overload, but he is very positive this is the way to go.

Even better, my employer enquired about getting me on their group plan insurance and pre existings are only excluded for 1 year So, long way to go I am well aware of that, but I am hopeful......
Old Sep 8th 2004, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Expat_Wannabe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Found a great lawyer...

Lesley you'll have to fill me in on this visa! Costs and eligibility etc.

Had my Embassy interview today and after a 5 hour wait finally got approved!!! So am all set to fly out next Wednesday and start work the following Monday! So exciting!
Old Sep 8th 2004, 9:33 pm
elf
Forum Regular

elf is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Found a great lawyer...

Had my Embassy interview today and after a 5 hour wait finally got approved!!! So am all set to fly out next Wednesday and start work the following Monday! So exciting![/QUOTE]

We had ours yesterday and got our visa. :scared: So scary it was untrue, they are so nice there but the wait totally freaks you out, I start my job October 20th. I now feel I can post on this forum with pride now. And I see what you all mean about the strange restroom at the doctor office at the medical.
Elvis has re-entered the building!!!!!!

Elf
Old Sep 8th 2004, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Found a great lawyer...

Originally Posted by Expat_Wannabe
Lesley you'll have to fill me in on this visa! Costs and eligibility etc.

Had my Embassy interview today and after a 5 hour wait finally got approved!!! So am all set to fly out next Wednesday and start work the following Monday! So exciting!
Congrats! I think you already have my number, but email me if you don't....

Briefly, it's not really a visa.. it's permanent residency. He felt that it was a waste of time to apply for any of the H visas (and that I wouldn't get H1B anyway) so said that I should go for a green card/permanent residency via "Labor Certification".

Basically, my employer has to say that there is no US citizen available to do this job. At first I thought that would be impossible but the lawyer handles everything, he will place an ad (between Thanksgiving and Christmas) and word it specific to my job and will go through any responses... then my employer has to interview anyone that is suitably qualified and (here's the loophole) - IMMEDIATELY available. There may be a few qualified for it but not many unemployed that can start like, the following day. There are many other reasons that INS will accept for turning them down, and many reasons that they wont. I'm not too worried - they had hardly anyone apply before... anyways, after that, you file some form or other and he told me that once the first process is complete (there are 3 parts), you are pretty much all set (dont see many being turned down after that) and will get a work PERMIT - he reckons about Spring if the new PERM system goes like it's supposed to (turning around these labor cert apps within 21 days, currently takes about 1 yr). After that, he said it would be about 1 yr before green card going this route, and 5 yrs after that, if you want to you can apply for citizenship.

Costs - $8,000. I have to pay a $750 retainer, but he is letting me pay it at $397 a month for 18 months and my employer is paying half. Even if they weren't I would have done it anyway, my car is almost paid off. I believe there are attorneys that will do it for cheaper - but this guy has a good reputation so I am sticking with someone who appears to know what they are doing, he has looked into every area for me and even the M.S. shouldn't be a problem - he says they are only interested in communicatable (sp?)diseases... anyways, like me your visa is for 18 months I am assuming, and if you feel after a few months you might want to stay on after that - I would get going ASAP cos none of the routes are fast.

Good luck with packing up, saying your goodbyes and have a safe flight!