Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Forty Years Ago Today . . .

Wikiposts

Forty Years Ago Today . . .

Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forty Years Ago Today . . .

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
. . . I disembarked at JFK with my life in one suitcase. Where have the years gone? Outside the TWA terminal the cars were still monsters with fins and it was truly a different world from all I knew. I had my four favourite albums on the bottom of the case, two books I couldn’t bear to leave behind, and -- amazing though it seems to me now -- my entire wardrobe crammed in there! I was wearing an aged fur coat, at least two sizes too big, that a friend’s mother had given me to ward off the NYC winters, with a poppy pinned to my lapel as it was Remembrance Sunday. I lived in a dingy apartment in the Bronx and started on the road that has somehow brought me to this day in rural Connecticut, two marriages and all manner of jobs later. As I always say -- que sera, sera!
Wow Happy Anniversary!! What an exciting adventure you embarked upon!
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:35 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
Wow Happy Anniversary!! What an exciting adventure you embarked upon!
Thanks, CAdreaming. When I look back now, the mind boggles at the total lack of thought that went into coming here!
Old Nov 12th 2013, 6:25 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
. . . I disembarked at JFK with my life in one suitcase. Where have the years gone? Outside the TWA terminal the cars were still monsters with fins and it was truly a different world from all I knew. I had my four favourite albums on the bottom of the case, two books I couldn’t bear to leave behind, and -- amazing though it seems to me now -- my entire wardrobe crammed in there! I was wearing an aged fur coat, at least two sizes too big, that a friend’s mother had given me to ward off the NYC winters, with a poppy pinned to my lapel as it was Remembrance Sunday. I lived in a dingy apartment in the Bronx and started on the road that has somehow brought me to this day in rural Connecticut, two marriages and all manner of jobs later. As I always say -- que sera, sera!
So, now it's 41 years. I hope the 41st year was a good one, but not as eventful or traumatic as some others you've experienced.
Old Nov 12th 2013, 6:31 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So, now it's 41 years. I hope the 41st year was a good one, but not as eventful or traumatic as some others you've experienced.
It is indeed 41 years and counting! Remembrance Day and my "anniversary" are inextricably linked in my mind. It has been an extremely hectic year where business is concerned, but a satisfying one that I have enjoyed, nonetheless. Thank you for noting the occasion!
Old Nov 12th 2013, 8:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Blonde moment. I thought this was a new thread that had started today..duh!

Well done on your 41 year adventure.

As for not thinking things through, we are the masters of that I think But hey, it always seems to work out ok eventually
Old Nov 15th 2013, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

UKNeil is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats great, a big difference than doing it today I'm sure with the likes of Skype, Facebook etc! Good story to tell!
Old Nov 16th 2013, 4:40 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

Blonde moment. I thought this was a new thread that had started today..duh!

Well done on your 41 year adventure.

As for not thinking things through, we are the masters of that I think But hey, it always seems to work out ok eventually
I did too! As I was reading Nutmegger's first post in the thread, I kept thinking it was familiar….. Essex moment!

41 years now Nutmegger! I only made it to 22 and I know I didn't go into it with nearly as much thought as I did leaving.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 4:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
I did too! As I was reading Nutmegger's first post in the thread, I kept thinking it was familiar….. Essex moment!

41 years now Nutmegger! I only made it to 22 and I know I didn't go into it with nearly as much thought as I did leaving.

TOWIE

Hindsight is amazing isn't it. My rose tinted glasses must have been designer label