Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fort Lee to Montvale NJ - transport options?

Fort Lee to Montvale NJ - transport options?

Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:28 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fort Lee to Montvale NJ - transport options?

Any reasonably convenient public transport option?

Hate hiring cars.

Hate driving in New Jersey.

Any useful suggestions will be karmad
Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:39 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fort Lee to Montvale NJ - transport options?

Originally Posted by Elvira

Hate hiring cars.

There is an NJ transit station in Montvale, but I've looked at the options for going up that way and back before, and it seems to be pretty infrequent and impossible at some times of day. From Fort Lee would probably have to get a bus somewhere first even if it is viable for you.

Might be easiest to get into Manhattan then back out to Tarrytown, but from there it might not be a cheap taxi - it's about 15 miles and across the Tappan Zee. Not sure if there's a better train option than that.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hate hiring cars.

Sorry I can't help...I'm not familiar with public transport. How are you getting to Fort Lee and how will you get from Montvale to presumably the airport?

When will you be in NJ?
Old Oct 9th 2009, 7:50 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sorry I can't help...I'm not familiar with public transport. How are you getting to Fort Lee and how will you get from Montvale to presumably the airport?

When will you be in NJ?
All good questions

I was planning to fly into LGA and take a cab to Fort Lee.

But now that you mentioned it I hadn't actually thought further than Montvale...

Planning to spend the weekend in Manhattan after Montvale
Old Oct 9th 2009, 9:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

All good questions

I was planning to fly into LGA and take a cab to Fort Lee.

But now that you mentioned it I hadn't actually thought further than Montvale...

Planning to spend the weekend in Manhattan after Montvale
TBH I would use cabs if you don't want to drive.

Next week? I'm away next week then shortly after I'll be leaving for the UK. A weekend in NYC sounds a good.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 9:12 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
TBH I would use cabs if you don't want to drive.

Next week? I'm away next week then shortly after I'll be leaving for the UK. A weekend in NYC sounds a good.
Yeah, you're probably right.

Always love a weekend in NYC

Enjoy your trip back home. I'm definitely due one too. but may have to wait till after Christmas
Old Oct 10th 2009, 1:30 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Fort Lee to Montvale NJ - transport options?

You could try contacting a car service (limo eg. Lincoln Town Car with driver) which is often - believe it or not - cheaper than a taxi!

The big ones in NYC (including the three area airports of JFK, LGA, EWR) are Carmel Limos and Dial 7 which are known to be reliable. You can get a quote for other destinations outside NYC by contacting the car services directly :

http://carmelcarservice.com/

http://www.dial7.com/

You can get a rough guide of the taxi rates and other ground transportation options from the Port Authority's website:

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/lga-p...portation.html

When will you be in Manhatten? I guess you will be going to see a performance at the Lincoln Center or Carnegie Hall? Might even be able to meet up with you for a cocktail, glass of wine or just a coffee....
Old Oct 10th 2009, 1:37 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by Englishmum
You could try contacting a car service (limo eg. Lincoln Town Car with driver) which is often - believe it or not - cheaper than a taxi!

The big ones in NYC (including the three area airports of JFK, LGA, EWR) are Carmel Limos and Dial 7 which are known to be reliable. You can get a quote for other destinations outside NYC by contacting the car services directly :

http://carmelcarservice.com/

http://www.dial7.com/

You can get a rough guide of the taxi rates and other ground transportation options from the Port Authority's website:

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/lga-p...portation.html

When will you be in Manhatten? I guess you will be going to see a performance at the Lincoln Center or Carnegie Hall? Might even be able to meet up with you for a cocktail, glass of wine or just a coffee....
Thanks - that's very useful!

I'm won't be able to finalise my schedule for a few days yet, but I'll send you a PM once I have a clearer idea of where I'm going to be when.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 1:43 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
But the thought of her on a New Jersey bus would be so much more entertaining.