Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fort Collins (CO) Vs Portsmouth (NH)

Fort Collins (CO) Vs Portsmouth (NH)

Old Nov 7th 2012, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice
Default Re: Fort Collins (CO) Vs Portsmouth (NH)

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
As an example, as you say it would be an employment based visa and you'd need a job offer, I assume you'd move to the US on a H1B. For that, not only must you have a degree (or the equivalent experience), but the job must also need a degree, and there are a set number of visas available each year which in the past have gone quickly when the program opens (1st April), for a 1st October start. Add to that the $5k or so it'll cost the employer to apply for the visa for you.

Compare that to Canada, where it costs the employer nothing, has no minimum educational requirements, is much quicker and you can start at any time of year, and you can see why Canada would usually be much easier for a job offer based visa. Plus it has other benefits such as both partners usually being able to work (whereas on a H1B, your partner would get a H4 visa, and not be able to work).

What do you and your wife/partner do? The forum pros will be able to tell you if it's realistic that you'd get a H1B for it.
Hi,

Thanks for that constructive feedback. I have had a look into visaa's already. I have looked in degree convertions etc so would be confortable getting what I need. I know its different in some states and I'm fully aware of this. I have a degree in community education and diploma in housing which is relevant to the housing sector. I also have over 8 years experience in my sector in 4 countries. Canada is an option for me but there is a bigger housing market in America than Canada when you compaire the housing shortage needs for the areas I narrowed my research down to.

I'm not too fussed looking into visa's too much as I have no idea where I will be in 2-3years time. I may end up having 5 kids or getting married or be single and all those scenarios will have different implications on visa applications. Who knows, anything can happen in that space of time so I like to keep my options open which is why I'd like to go and visit the USA again and check out some places before looking into which visa I will apply for (and after all the employment market will be a hug factor in this).

I'm only really looking for some feedback on the places I mentioned and perhaps other places rather than visa info as this is a seperate conversation.

Last edited by Jay-Producer; Nov 7th 2012 at 1:19 pm. Reason: grammer
Old Nov 7th 2012, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice

Originally Posted by celticgrid
And the little township you've selected can't change at all in 3-5 years...

Sigh.

The employment market can. When I looked at some other small cities there was a big difference in housing need changes in 3-5 years and housing demand was on the rise. In Manchester or Boston there are housing needs and this may change in 3-5 years. If you look at the population growth over 5years, both have risen. I wont bore you with all the statistics but increase in population generally means increase in housing needs, therefore the housing sector will be strong. This is important when I apply for a visa at the time I need to look at how the change is affecting housing needs and look at what jobs are out their at the time. That will come later, for now I am only asking for feedback ont he two places I narrowed my research down to or other cities and towns people may point out I look into.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 1:37 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jay-Producer
This is important when I apply for a visa at the time I need to look at how the change is affecting housing needs and look at what jobs are out their at the time.
Do you not understand that, as you appear to have explained the basis on which you think you are moving here, you do not apply for a visa.

This is important when I apply for a visa
Worth quoting this bit twice. This is a fundamentally incorrect assumption. Therefore anything that you consider as "important" based on that incorrect assumption is also flawed. I cannot believe that anyone can be so deaf to advice. You accuse others of trolling but I suspect there's only one person doing so in this thread.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Do you not understand that, as you appear to have explained the basis on which you think you are moving here, you do not apply for a visa.

Worth quoting this bit twice. This is a fundamentally incorrect assumption. Therefore anything that you consider as "important" based on that incorrect assumption is also flawed. I cannot believe that anyone can be so deaf to advice. You accuse others of trolling but I suspect there's only one person doing so in this thread.
Im not applying for visa. I dont even want to talk about visa's in this thread. So drop it please. I made no assumptions ok, I didn't say I was moving here either and I am more than happy to back up everything I have said with factual statistics and information from state and city websites. The emplyoment market at the time of applying for a visa is important, not now! And stop bringing up the word visa or subject around it please. The title of this thread was never about visa's.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im not applying for visa. I dont even want to talk about visa's in this thread. So drop it please. I made no assumptions ok, I didn't say I was moving here either and I am more than happy to back up everything I have said with factual statistics and information from state and city websites. The emplyoment market at the time of applying for a visa is important, not now! And stop bringing up the word visa or subject around it please. The title of this thread was never about visa's. Move on and stop trolling the thread!

Just though I'd reply twice incase you didnt bother reading it properly first time. I do not want to talk about visa's in this thread.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Im not applying for visa. I dont even want to talk about visa's in this thread. So drop it please. I made no assumptions ok, I didn't say I was moving here either and I am more than happy to back up everything I have said with factual statistics and information from state and city websites. The emplyoment market at the time of applying for a visa is important, not now! And stop bringing up the word visa or subject around it please. The title of this thread was never about visa's. Move on and stop trolling the thread!

Just though I'd reply twice incase you didnt bother reading it properly first time. I do not want to talk about visa's in this thread.
Goodbye. We might see you back here in 4-5 years when you have sorted yourself out and decided where and if you want to move.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Jay, whether you want to talk about visas or not, is a moot point. This is an open thread and anyone can say pretty much any comments they want.

The main reason people keep bringing up the subject of visas is because you are putting your cart before your horse. There are tonnes of people that come on here thinking they can move to the US, and do not realize that US immigration law is one of the most restrictive in the world. You can do all the research and visiting of the US that you want, but you won't ever move here if you don't do your visa research first. Do not compare Oz/NZ employment based visa processes to the US visa process - it is far, far more difficult to obtain an employment based visa in the US.

As far as your main topic of the thread, I wouldn't live in either location. I'm a native USC (my husband is the Brit), and we are heading for the Pacific Northwest.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joto
Goodbye. We might see you back here in 4-5 years when you have sorted yourself out and decided where and if you want to move.
Where is what Im trying to decide and see if anyone currently lives or has recently lived in FC or Portsmouth. I cant afford to travel all around every city and town in America that is just not financialy possible for most people in the world. That's why Im asking for some feedback on these places or other suggestions to see where I will be traveling to next year.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Jay, whether you want to talk about visas or not, is a moot point. This is an open thread and anyone can say pretty much any comments they want.

The main reason people keep bringing up the subject of visas is because you are putting your cart before your horse. There are tonnes of people that come on here thinking they can move to the US, and do not realize that US immigration law is one of the most restrictive in the world. You can do all the research and visiting of the US that you want, but you won't ever move here if you don't do your visa research first. Do not compare Oz/NZ employment based visa processes to the US visa process - it is far, far more difficult to obtain an employment based visa in the US.

As far as your main topic of the thread, I wouldn't live in either location. I'm a native USC (my husband is the Brit), and we are heading for the Pacific Northwest.
My visa research has been done up to a point where I have the basic info I need, I just cant apply for one unless I find a sponsor or employment who is willing to apply for one and that needs to be done at the time of wanting to move, not know. Otherwise I would have asked for visa advise. I hope you see my point now. If I apply for a visa now before visitng the place that would be supid in my opinion.

Any reason why you wouldnt move out their?
Old Nov 7th 2012, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

My visa research has been done up to a point where I have the basic info I need, I just cant apply for one unless I find a sponsor or employment who is willing to apply for one and that needs to be done at the time of wanting to move, not know. Otherwise I would have asked for visa advise. I hope you see my point now. If I apply for a visa now before visitng the place that would be supid in my opinion.

The Northeast is too expensive, too heavily populated, too expensive to live in, and too cold for me. Fort Collins is too politically "red", and also too cold for me weather-wise.

We want the Pacific Northwest, or more specifically Seattle, because it's not too large of a city; it has a good job market for my husband who's in the tech industry; politically they are 'blue'; while Seattle is more expensive than our current location, they aren't as expensive as Silicon Valley or NYC; we want some place cooler weather-wise, but not freezing; it's close enough to lots of outdoor activities; we also want to live near the water - we are both tired of being land-locked; some Seattle neighborhoods are also known for their walkability factor - which is also pretty important to us since we don't like the urban sprawl of the midwest.

We're not looking at crime/safety stats. Every city has its good and bad areas. You want to stay away from crime, live in the good areas of town.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 6:41 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Any suggestions or comments?
Yes. But you won't like them...
Old Nov 7th 2012, 7:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Im not sure what you mean by visa situation. I wouldnt apply for a visa to a country unless I was certain I wanted to move their.
There's no retirement visa. So unless you've got a greencard already, a US citizen, or getting a visa via work, it's all a waste of time.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 7:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I was also looking at Merrimack and Salem. I took at look at Derry also but couldn't find any photos of that town. I'm not sure how Salem looks either and it seems to be just a place to go for some fun and shopping rather than live. Merrimack looks pretty in places but not enough pictures to know really what it's like. Merrimack is close to lots of cities for job prospects as is Salem and Derry. Rochdale looked really nice but is somewhat isolated and too far from Boston or Manchester for work.
While I'm wasting my time.

Portland is far more city like than any of those towns you've listed in NH, which also have a much shitter job finding ability.

Manchester, NH is a shit hole and the shopping is or feel is no where near as nice as Portland, ME.

The crime stats you're talking about are also pointless. They really are. You're getting all kinds of things mixed in that won't be relevant. Who cares what the crime rate is in Cambridge if you're living in Jamaica Plain, it's still Boston.

Phili is a much better city than you're giving it credit for. Any city will have troubled areas and crime, but it's easy enough to avoid in a large city, and crime isn't that bad across the whole place, which is another reason why your stats looking is a waste of time without boots on ground looking at the reality.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 7:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

How can you say its waste of everyones time when asking for feedback on two places to know wether its worth taking a trip out their.
Because your chances of getting a visa are slim to begin with, nothing you have said improves that, so anyone helping you out with a place to go is a waste of time, posters time rather than yours.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 7:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

That's the thing. No employer is going to spend the money a visa for someone in your field, when you don't have local market condition experience. It's not going to improve in the future either, the only thing that changes is the cost to the employer going up and the difficulty of qualifying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.