British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Fort Bend / Lamar areas of Houston (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/fort-bend-lamar-areas-houston-774001/)

Bink Oct 10th 2012 3:31 pm

Re: Fort Bend / Lamar areas of Houston

Originally Posted by Parisangel (Post 10323719)
Thanks again guys. We truly aren't that keen on being too far into the city being little village mice at the moment, so hubby happy with up to 45 mins commute. Good elementary schools is also v important as is a nice safe area (I know I keep saying it, but it's true!). If anyone has a realtor to recommend, I'd be happy to take your recommendation!

If everyone in Houston is as nice as some of you guys, I'm sure we'll love it.

:)

Sugarland and Pearland sound like good options then. 59 at 610 can be bad though (this would apply to Sugar Land) so be warned! 7.30-8.45 is probably the worst rush hour time in that area in the morning. I never commute in the Pearland area so can't help on the traffic from there to the medical center I'm afraid.

I'm afraid I also can't help with Realtors in those areas, perhaps ChocolateBabz can as that's her neck of the works.

The issue with Houston (and the reason it's really hard to provide you with realy good, specific answers) is that compromises generally have to be made. There's a ton of cool places here but trying to get everything and still have a good commute can be difficult, especially where good schools are involved.

We compromised on me having a longer commute (though my hours are flexible so I either go in early or late to avoid spending 1.25 hours in my car each way) so that we could get a good school district (and our son is only 1 at the moment!), a decent house and yard and would still have money to spend on other things and treats (rather than all our money going on our house). We live towards Cypress though so probably not the best choice for you over Sugarland/Pearland.

Good luck with the move! :fingerscrossed:

How long do you have in temporary accomodation. It's much easier to make a decision when you have an opportunity to drive around and see the traffic etc for yourself though it's definitely a good idea to try and narrow down a few areas beforehand so you have some idea of where to look.

Bomjeito Oct 10th 2012 9:50 pm

Houston is unique in two ways. First, it is very spread out. VERY. Two, neighborhoods (or MPCs) take the place of 'little villages.'

For example, Fort Worth has less than a million people of population. Folks CAN live in small towns outside the 'city' and commute within 45 min or so to work inside FW. Here, that is really quite impossible.

For example, Sealy is an old-style small Texas town. Fine to live there if you work in Katy, but impossible if you work farther into Houston proper. Same with Woodlands (its a MPC, not a town, mind you) - okay if you WORK in Woodlands, but a bear if you work in Houston. Or if you work in Woodlands, you could live in Magnolia or Conroe.

Bellaire is a nice neighborhood. So is Heights (but that is a hike for Baylor Med). Rice Village is walkable with shops and restaurants; housing is very nice there too with sidewalks and other families. Some of these inner loop areas are (to me) more attractive 'communities' than the MPC-land of Sugarland or Katy. (Or even Lakes on Eldridge, where I'm located.) Now we like our MPC. We have sidewalks and tons of organized community events for families. I'd say its about 1500 houses here; we do know our neighbors.

When you get here, you'll get a better feel of the areas. Unless I missed the beginning posts, are you renting as you'll be here only a short time or renting until you find a permanent home to buy? Then you really do need to rent close to where you might buy....

School ratings here are important for both schooling and for resale value, if you buy. House/lease prices are reflected in better school districts. The other option is private school then you won't care where you live (within reason!)

Bink is right, Houston housing requires compromises. We compromised on our set budget (and desire for a big lot and bigger home) for a short commute to work. Tons of folk commute at odd hours, so if your husband has that kind of flexibility, the commute can be manageable.

ETA: if you do end up looking at Katy or Memorial (EC) then I can recommend a great local realtor. She's not as knowledgeable with Sugarland or Pearland.

Parisangel Oct 11th 2012 5:12 pm

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

We have an apartment for 30 days initially which is by Hermann Park.

We will be looking to rent, don't think we'd get a mortgage initially would we?? So, we rent a house and my daughter goes to school in that school district...then we find a house we love and want to buy but it's in a different district - do we have to pull her out of school or would they allow her to stay?

Parisangel Oct 17th 2012 10:52 am

"Bump":D

scrubbedexpat097 Oct 17th 2012 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Parisangel (Post 10335302)
"Bump":D

Just thought you might want to know but it RAINED here yesterday!! Not a big deal for most people but it was really really needed so it was all good:thumbup:

That's all:)

Parisangel Oct 17th 2012 1:45 pm

Right, that's it, move's off.....!

Seriously though, regarding school districts, would they make you move schools once you're in? This worries me about renting for a year and then buying if we can't buy a house in the same school district we rented in.....

Yorkieabroad Oct 17th 2012 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Parisangel (Post 10326001)
So, we rent a house and my daughter goes to school in that school district...then we find a house we love and want to buy but it's in a different district - do we have to pull her out of school or would they allow her to stay?

It may depend where you are, but at least in Katy ISD you will go to the school that your house is zoned to. If you move to a different zone (catchment area), the kids will move to that school. The only exceptions I know to that are for teachers where they have the flkexibility to bring their kids to the school they work in regardless of their zone.

KISD is growing rapidly, so you could find you are rezoned without even moving house, particularly if you move to the western side of the district where most of the development is. I know one boy who has been in 3 different schools in 3 years, all from the same house! Bit of a nightmare! We've never been rezoned, so the kids have stayed at the same school all the way through (so far) but talking to parents who's kids have been rezoned, its not been that much of a problem. The newer schools are all "cookie cutter" design, so if the toilets were down the hall 3rd door on the left in the old school, they'll be in the same place in the new one too. Plus there is a policy of shaking the classes up every year - we have 8 classes in each grade, and every year my kids have been in a class with only 2-4 kids from their previous years class. So moving to a new school and being the "new kid in the class" isn't much of a problem, because the whoel class is effectively "new" each year.

Parisangel Oct 18th 2012 8:59 am

That's really helpful, thanks. The schools sound big, that will be an adjustment, my daughter has 7 in her class at the moment!

Thanks for the info! :)

scrubbedexpat097 Oct 18th 2012 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Parisangel (Post 10335548)
Right, that's it, move's off.....!

Seriously though, regarding school districts, would they make you move schools once you're in? This worries me about renting for a year and then buying if we can't buy a house in the same school district we rented in.....

You need to quit worrying yourself over things that might not even happen!

You have a week left, enjoy it. When you get here all we come together in it's own time.

Countdown time:thumbsup::fingerscrossed:

Yorkieabroad Oct 18th 2012 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Parisangel (Post 10337009)
That's really helpful, thanks. The schools sound big, that will be an adjustment, my daughter has 7 in her class at the moment!

Thanks for the info! :)

Big doesn't even begin to describe it........the schools are monstrous. Our Elementary was rezoned last year, and some of the parents tried to sue the school district as they felt it was getting too small - we are now down to "only" 900 students !! Last year it was over 1400! Classes are around 22 kids. It's just the norm here...was a bit of a shock to start with, coming from a background of 1 class in each year when I was in elementary, but you soon get used to it, and it doesn't seem to bother the kids.